Awake before the crack of dawn... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2005, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just checking in to see if anyone else is finding themselves wide awake WAY too early in the morning... I get tired mid-day, inevitably. And I'm completely zonked out by 9:30, but then 4:30am rolls around and I can't sleep.

I usually enjoy 8 hours of sleep and my current routine gets me close to that - but boy howdy, I would SO love to get an extra hour or two of slumber before kicking off the day. But alas, it's just not the way of things lately. I'm not sure whether it's because I have trouble finding a comfortable position - or whether my body is truly ready to get going... Either way, I'm awake!

Anyone else in this boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Not yet with this PG, but I felt that way the entire 3rd trimester when PG w/ DS. Just get as much sleep as you can whenever you can!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
Old 12-19-2005, 01:39 PM

I don't sleep in well even not pregnant, but now I have to get up because I am starving!

Everyone else in my family sleeps in so late-dh usually works nights and my boys have never been babies or kids who get up early, they like to sleep until 9:30 or 10 at least. Before I had kids, I rarely slept past about 7:30, but my first helped me sleep a little later!
Old 12-19-2005, 03:50 PM

I feel exactly like you do! The only difference is that I can't actually GET to sleep until about 1:30 or 2am. By the time 9am rolls around, I can barely get up! I have never had a difficult time sleeping, so I am really hating the restless nights. Not to mention that my husband snores and I just end up getting mad at him because it makes it even MORE difficult to sleep. Fortunately, I don't work, so I can catch a nap here and there throughout the day, but I would really love some continuous sleep.
Is anyone else here really uncomfortable laying down? Even with pillows, I just can't seem to get comfortable! Lately, my arm and legs have been going numb if I end up on my back.
Okay, sorry for the rant.
Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

Old 12-19-2005, 04:27 PM

Not sleeping well here either....very restless, and uncomfortable. But I feel so guilty taking daytime naps. Its just not my thing.

I had two people say to me today that they could tell I was pregnant because I looked bad :
Old 12-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Oh ladies, I'm sorry to say, but I'm so glad you feel this way too! Misery loves company, right? Every morning at about 4 am I wake up and can't fall back asleep. I take a ferry as part of my commute everyday and it helps to get in 30 minutes of sleep. I don't think it would be so bad after work since my husband cooks our dinner, but the other day my four year old told me I don't play with her anymore. I felt horrible. It's true. I'm just so darned tired all of the time. So, now, even if I'm tired, I get my big belly butt up and play princess.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Me too... I am up around 3:30. I start feeling my stomach, because you know I just can't miss a single kick! Then my mind is just racing. I'm up thinking about cloth diapers, wipes, knitting, what else I need to buy....what if nobody buys me anything off my registry and then I'm screwed?

Some people say that this is our bodies getting ready for what is to come...whatever!

Then when I am asleep, the dreams are so bizzare...

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 PM

We usually get to bed around 11 or midnight, and I am awake by 3:30 most mornings--some days I manage to stay asleep until almost 5, but never past. Fortunately I am not TOO uncomfortable, so it is not pain that is waking me up, and I can rest in bed for another few hours before starting my day.

(*yawn*) I am just trying to look at it as preparation for the chronic sleep-deprivation of new mamahood. Hard not to curse when you wake up before dawn, though!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM

I just asked my mw about this today, actually! I get up at 3:00 or 4:00 am to go to the bathroom, and then I can't get back to sleep. Here are some of her suggestions.

If you take an evening prenatal, try to make sure you take it a good 4-5 hours before you go to sleep.

If bottled stress may be an issue, try a calming walk or bath before bedtime. Get in some good meditation time!

Chamomile tea, made in hot milk before bed or once you wake up can help you fall asleep.

I think I need to set aside some time during the day to just sit and bond with the baby. I'm usually so busy! So, when I wake up at night and feel the baby move, even though the movement itself isn't really enough to keep me awake, I start thinking/daydreaming about the baby. Maybe if I did more of that during waking hours, I'd do less of it at 3 am!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
Old 12-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Yup.

I wake up about 2-3 hours after i fall asleep. I will wake up hungry. So I usually get up and drink some chocolate soy milk and make some toast. The baby is usually awake and kicking me too.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 AM

Well I had a sleeping problem but fixed it. I was sleeping 9:30pm-7:30am but waking up feeling even more tired than when I started and with a sore belly. But the last week I've been staying up until around 4am, until I'm truly exhausted, and still waking at 7:30am (don't need an alarm, that's when the kids wake up) and feeling REFRESHED. Not sure why that works for me but it does. Now I just gotta work on using those extra awake hours on something productive, been just wasting time on the internet.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 AM

Boy, Alicia, that's odd!? I am generally an early-to-rise person, but lately have been so busy that I haven't been getting to bed before midnight, which really makes my next day a drag!! I went to bed last night around 11, woke up at 12:30 with a leg cramp, walked it off, went back to bed, woke again to pee around 3:30, back to bed, up for work at 6.

On the other hand, I am still sleeping lots, given the chance. I wish I had time for a nap around 4:30, when I am really crashing!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm starting to not be able to get comfortable. It's not so much my belly, but the fact that my stupid nose is so stuffy at night. I hate how when you lay on one side, all the stuff moves to that side. Then I'm making that whistling sound, which wakes me up.

Last night I had a dream that as soon as the baby was born, I found out I was pregnant again. I was saying "oh great, one on each boob!". LOL

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:17 PM

You can get a neti pot to help with that kind of nasal congestion. Great thing, really! I don't want to live without mine now.

http://www.bytheplanet.com/Products/...ti/Netipot.htm

(never bought from this place, just the first link I found that shows what it is so y'all can understand what I mean, if ya didn't know already.)

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Old 12-20-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin
I'm starting to not be able to get comfortable. It's not so much my belly, but the fact that my stupid nose is so stuffy at night. I hate how when you lay on one side, all the stuff moves to that side. Then I'm making that whistling sound, which wakes me up.

Last night I had a dream that as soon as the baby was born, I found out I was pregnant again. I was saying "oh great, one on each boob!". LOL
Ugh - I have the nose problem too and just this week I started with a bloody nose every time I blow. Between that and the dry hot air heat, I feel totally dehydrated when I wake up in the morning. I do miss sleeping on my back. But I also notice that now, I get short of breath on my back and feel generally uncomfortable, even proppped up.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 PM

Yeah, add me to the list. I've been getting up 2-3 times per night to use the bathroom and generally cannot fall asleep after the last time (somewhere between 3:30-5:00). I am SO tired, esp. this week with all the Christmas prep we've been doing. I think I can't get back to sleep because 1) my mind is racing (not wandering, RACING ) and 2) I just can't get comfortable. My hips end up hurting from being slept on all night, as well as my shoulders, and then I just cannot find a position that is comfy. Dh even rubbed my back this morning and I still couldn't get comfy!
Old 12-20-2005, 05:02 PM

I'm a 4am waker...so far (please please please let it continue), I've been able to fall back asleep. The big thing for me is avoiding list-making in my head. If I start making lists (groceries, baby tasks, etc.) I'm up for a good hour or more. It helps to concentrate on being comfortable (focus on soft pillows, the warm quilt, etc.)....then I put my hand on my belly and wait for kicks. I always feel a few, but the waiting makes me sleepy. Pretty soon I'm out cold.

Sure would be nice not to wake up, though....by 2pm every day, I'm dragging!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~

User Tag List