Are We There Yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 12-19-2005, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just under 12 weeks left over here - I'm feeling like the time is getting nearer & I'm getting excited!! Also getting a bit uncomfortable & thinking it will be nice to have my figure back .

I'm afraid I don't feel the closeness in this DDC like I think I see in some of the others - not that it's you guys, maybe it's just too early yet? It seems like when the DDC mama's get closer to term, they really know each other, kwim? Is it just me? Am I being hormonal again?

I really love being able to come here & "chat" & read what's going on with everyone.....alright, I'm definitely being hormonal.....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 29 Old 12-19-2005, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we have been a little quieter than most due date clubs (less posts, etc.), but I think we have a great vibe here. Very supportive, yes? Plus, I've been happy to see that posts are picking up a little recently...I think it's starting to get so much more real for everyone!

We have a whole trimester left, the long wintery one, to get to know each other better. Sound like fun!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 29 Old 12-19-2005, 11:47 PM

14 weeks left for me (I hit 26 weeks TODAY!), and I am also feeling excited . . . but at the same time, a little sad. I was driving around over the weekend, getting kicked all the while--and realized that as excited as I am to meet this little guy or girl, I will really miss the feeling of carrying this baby inside my body. It is like having company all the time!
#4 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky
14 weeks left for me (I hit 26 weeks TODAY!), and I am also feeling excited . . . but at the same time, a little sad. I was driving around over the weekend, getting kicked all the while--and realized that as excited as I am to meet this little guy or girl, I will really miss the feeling of carrying this baby inside my body. It is like having company all the time!
Oh, you'll still have company all the time, except it won't be too long and he/she will actually be able to answer you back!

I'm also getting anxious for this baby to get here! I'm in Australia, so we're mid-summer here and it is HOT! On the other hand, I need to get in gear and actually start preparing for this bub. The only thing I've done so far is sort out DS1's old baby clothes to get a little starter pile going and I ordered a new sling. I guess I can't really think of much more I need to do. I think I'm just going to try to get past the New Year, then worry about it all.
#5 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM

14 more weeks for me too. I'm feeling "over" being pregnant! I'm tired of the belly already (I know it's only going to get worse) and my achy back. It's so cold, and I hate the feeling of dragging around all my winter outerwear and this belly! Feels like I can't get up out of the car once I'm in. (And I've only gained 5 pounds--ay yi yi!) I like the kicks, but I'd rather watch them.
I was never that drawn to the idea of pregnancy--I just want the prize at the end!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia

I'm afraid I don't feel the closeness in this DDC like I think I see in some of the others - not that it's you guys, maybe it's just too early yet? It seems like when the DDC mama's get closer to term, they really know each other, kwim? Is it just me? Am I being hormonal again?

I really love being able to come here & "chat" & read what's going on with everyone.....alright, I'm definitely being hormonal.....
I didn't get that impression. Everyone's been so supportive to everyone else and not judgmental or critical at all, esp the mamas who already know what they're doing. On the parenting board it seems there's an argument or someone who is offended on just about every post...yikes!! I guess parenting issues stir up a lot of controversy and strong opinions. I like chatting here too.
#7 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh
14 more weeks for me too. I'm feeling "over" being pregnant! I'm tired of the belly already (I know it's only going to get worse) and my achy back. It's so cold, and I hate the feeling of dragging around all my winter outerwear and this belly! Feels like I can't get up out of the car once I'm in. (And I've only gained 5 pounds--ay yi yi!) I like the kicks, but I'd rather watch them.
I was never that drawn to the idea of pregnancy--I just want the prize at the end!

I'm getting there too - 12 weeks to go, and my face looks so FAT, its embarrassing...I really haven't gained that much either. I feel a lot less mobile these days as well, driving, walking, putting on socks.....not to mention the fact that I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF A SINGLE NAME YET!
#8 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
I'm getting there too - 12 weeks to go, and my face looks so FAT, its embarrassing...I really haven't gained that much either. I feel a lot less mobile these days as well, driving, walking, putting on socks.....not to mention the fact that I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF A SINGLE NAME YET!
I have to go get my driver's license picture taken next month - talk about a fat face!!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#9 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia
I have to go get my driver's license picture taken next month - talk about a fat face!!

All the magazines said "Don't give in to the urge to cut your hair short, it'll only make your pregnant face look fatter" - well, I did it, thinking my face was gonna be ok, and what do you know....fat face me, and the short hair sucks. So now I'm fat faced, fat in the front, my skin looks horrible, and I'm all shaggy growing out these layers! Maybe those mainstream mags have a point every now and then!!
#10 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 03:07 PM
Kam

I had my driver's licence picture taken when I was 40 weeks, Meta!! Your comment made me laugh. But you know what? I LOVED that picture. There was me, all excited and flushed and nervous and happy and round. (I took my very formal and difficult Japanese driver's test at 40 weeks, too. I think my examiner was ready to fly out the door at any moment. He turned beet red when he saw me waddle to the car, and he kept his hand on the handle the whole time! )

I was just thinking we needed a group huddle/hug/circle massage around here. I'm so happy to have this group to chat with.

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more, due 3/20
#11 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM

oh that is too much! LOL! Oh to have seen his face and body language! oh oh oh!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#12 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 03:58 PM

I've got 13 weeks to go. I'm feeling pretty "into" this pregnancy right now. Not yet obsessing about the delivery, but secure with the fact that this little person will be here soon enough. The BIG news in our house this week is that my 2 1/2 year old has potty trained (herself )!!! I am so delighted about that! I was really hoping she'd do it before Christmas to give her enough time to "settle" into the whole potty thing before babe #2 arrives. Just last week I was thinking, ugh it's never going to happen. Then on Friday, she just decided she wanted new undies & she hasn't looked back. Ok, I know this is the DDC, but I'm excited & proud of my little girl!

Back to your regularly scheduled posting....
#13 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 04:27 PM

This group has been so immensely helpful to me through the struggles of this pregnancy. Especially you, RedOakMamma.

I'm 26 weeks in a couple of days or today...I don't even know. I think that's my biggest problem. With all of the things happening medically, I've not focused on getting ready for our baby to come home. Mostly, I just wait and wait to feel her move around, find peace, and wait for the next movement. Then, I come here to read all your comments, stories, and questions. It's been great to connect with other pregnant women out there.

Now, eventually we'll need more than a diaper bag and skeins of yarn so hopefully some nesting will kick in soon.
#14 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 04:40 PM

OMG, only 12 weeks left? I can't believe it. I am loving being pregnant... and starting to get nervous! We start out Birthing from Within class in January, I think that will help. I have no idea what to expect, what to DO during the birth. I have spent so much time reading about the pregnancy itsself that suddenly I'm feeling unprepared for the BIRTH! I know it will all be fine, though. Meeting with the midwife today, I'm sure she'll put my mind at ease!

I have loved having this due date group, sometimes there are things I am unsure if I should post here, though. Like a question about general pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding that could be answered in another thread... but i don't want just ANYONE to reply, I want this groups opinion, you know?

I could get really annoying if I start posting here as much as I am inclined to!
#15 of 29 Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM

Ooh, Ellie, let us know how that Birthing From Within class is! I just read the book and loved it. I bet you're going to get a lot out of the class.
#16 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
I was just thinking we needed a group huddle/hug/circle massage around here. I'm so happy to have this group to chat with.

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more, due 3/20
Yea! That's it, we need a big group hug!!! I already feel the warmth! Thanks Kam! I *do* think that now that we're in the "homestretch," we'll be posting more & just feeling more connected .

#17 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 11:17 AM

I just can't wait until after our babies are born, to hear everyone's stories. That will be pretty special!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#18 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM

Yep, in week 27 here and (finally) starting to get excited. The bonding has not been nearly as intense with this pregnancy as my first....partially to feeling crappy the first trimester and I guess just being busy with an almost 3 year old!

But we had an ultrasound yesterday (3d) and seeing that little face and entering the 3rd trimester has got me thinking baby a bit more. DD and I went to the mall and picked out a boy and a girl outfit for coming home in! So they are hanging here now looking as cute as ever.

Right after Christmas I'll pack my hospital bag (had preterm with DD#1 and needed it soon so just being prepared) and hubby is going to convert the toddler bed back to a crib so the nursery starts looking like a nursery again.

I too enjoy the kicks immensely........no feeling like that in the world. But this pregnancy has been harder on my body than the first and I ache so much all the time I am ready to be done with it. I was in such great physical shape going into pregnancy #1, I think that has something to do with it....I wasn't this time.

Hope to see this DDC get a little more active.......and get to know you ladies. I still chat with all the moms from my DDC with DD #1!
#19 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 06:53 PM

I am so busy with work, packing and getting ready to move, holiday stuff, etc. that I hardly feel like I have time to think about the baby! I am reading a ton, though, both about birth (we just finished Bradley) and about parenting. I am so looking forward to moving into our new place and getting settled. Two weeks of vacation... then seven weeks back on... then I'm off work until the baby comes. Lots to do, lots to organize...
#20 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 07:35 PM

With my due date at the end of March, I'm not as far along as the rest of you (26 wks. tomorrow). But FWIW, I'm not feeling "let's get this over with"-ish at all. I'm just starting to enjoy/bond with this babe, now that I'm feeling human again and she's getting SO active. Also, I remember too well how it was with DS, who came 2 wks. early and caught me unprepared in some respects! I'm glad I still have 3 months (or so) after the holidays to get baby's stuff ready, take a class (I've been considering Birthing from Within too...tell me all about it, anyone who attends or has attended), and get the whole homebirthin' thing in order (which includes telling my sure-to-be-skeptical parents and explaining everything ad nauseum).

I love this group, by the way. Everyone is so respectful and supportive; I appreciate the different experiences and perspectives everyone brings; and some of you really crack me up.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#21 of 29 Old 12-21-2005, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
I could get really annoying if I start posting here as much as I am inclined to!
GO FOR IT!

corhorvath~ Anything you need...ANYTHING...you just let me know.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#22 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 09:56 AM

Another thing that's made me slower to bond with this baby is the fact that I want another girl sooooooooo bad. All 3 of us do. I really need to come up with a way to mentally prepare for the fact that it could be a boy.

It seems every playgroup or function or park I go to I just see these little boys acting up so badly, being rough, hurting my Alli.......and I just think "Oh PLEASE let this be a girl". I know I need to stop thinking that way but I am not sure how.

Lots of people tell me about 'their sweet boys' and that they are not all rough and naughty.......is there anybody that felt like me and got a boy and tell me about your experience of instant bonding and love??????
#23 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allismom
Another thing that's made me slower to bond with this baby is the fact that I want another girl sooooooooo bad. All 3 of us do. I really need to come up with a way to mentally prepare for the fact that it could be a boy.

Lots of people tell me about 'their sweet boys' and that they are not all rough and naughty.......is there anybody that felt like me and got a boy and tell me about your experience of instant bonding and love??????

:

We talked about this on another thread awhile ago... I feel the same way. I'm sure I will love him just the same, but still, I see the adorable little girl outfits (I'm sorry, so much cuter than blue with stupid baseballs on them or teddy bears) and I think I'll never get to buy them....and the baby book, I know he won't look at it the same way a girl would later on, and I know he won't be half as interested in me recording the pregnancy the way a girl would be interested in it, years from now. I know lots of people who have sweet, gentle, quiet little boys. I think all kids go through that phase where they're hard to control and very active. But one thing 100% of experienced parents have told me is that the minute you see that baby, you will love it no matter what, and I'm sure that will be the case. My baby has been very, very quiet so far - hardly any kicking at all, so I know what you mean about that bonding feeling.
#24 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 12:31 PM

Well, I'm the opposite, I am hoping for a boy.

But, I have a feeling it's a girl. I'm ok with that, I don't have a HUGE preference- but I'd rather have an energetic boy than... well, ME at age 13! What would I do if I got my niece, who (despite every effort to raise her in a non gender-role specific home) only wants to wear her frilly pink princess dress and is always pointing out "pretty" people? OK, I totally ADORE my niece, she's hilarious and I am sure it's just a phase... but the materialism and pettiness of girls gets to me! I would probably "try" to raise a tomboy... and inevitably would end up with a daughter who is captain of the cheerleading squad. That desire to be "cool" and popular seems so overwhelming in girls.

Now, I know I will absolutely be thrilled with whatever we get. In fact, I'm so SURE it's a girl, that I'm becoming excited about it in many other ways. But secretly I'm hoping for a boy.
#25 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

I had the same fears, we have two girls whom I adore & I kind of assumed that this babe was a girl as well. During our u/s at 20 wks, we immediately saw a penis & my heart just sank. Then I felt guilty for feeling that way, which made it even worse! I began to feel like I was so lucky to still have this baby with me, after hemmorhaging at 12.5 wks & being so sure during the bleeding that I had lost the baby & then being so utterly shocked when I saw the bouncing baby during a u/s, so ecstatic & amazed that it was alive!

We belong to an incredible group called Families for Natural Living & there are so many sweet, gentle little boys, that that is what made me realize, "hey, I could absolutely LOVE a little baby boy!!" Now I'm all sappy about it & feel like I actually want this boy over another girl.

For me, I think that it was best that I found out in the middle of the pg, that way I have time to accept & realize my feelings rather than having to deal with them while simultaneously dealing with the post-partum hormones.

#26 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allismom

It seems every playgroup or function or park I go to I just see these little boys acting up so badly, being rough, hurting my Alli.......and I just think "Oh PLEASE let this be a girl". I know I need to stop thinking that way but I am not sure how.

Right here! When PG w/ DS, DH and I really, really wanted a girl and were convinced we would have one. One of the reasons we found out the sex at 20 weeks was to give ourselves time to adjust to the idea of having a boy if nec. For us, it was a smart move. We had many weeks to start calling DS by his name and really fall in love with the idea of having a boy. And it's true about adoring the child you get...now I can't imagine having had a DD instead of DS.

DS is (I think) a wonderful combination of things that are stereotypically masculine and feminine. Yes, he's big and loud and rambunctious, and he's smitten with trains and digging in the dirt and knocking down his Lincoln Log towers. But he's got a really sweet side, too. He loves snuggling on the couch with all his "friends" (dolls and stuffed animals) just as much as playing with trains. He doles out kisses like they're going out of style. He's very conversational and interested in other people's feelings; one of his most oft-used sentences is "So how ya doin', Mommy?" His favorite article of clothing is his pair of pink house slippers.

Now I know: a little boy can be a really groovy addition to a household!

#27 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 02:28 PM

I am new to this group, and found this section on due dates. I am also due in March 2006 with my second baby. I am having a homebirth with this one. Have all of you with previous babies had homebirths before? This is my first experience with a midwife and homebirth. My first was a terrible hospital/OB delivery. I am really looking in to all the options i didn't realize i had with my first baby. I am beginning Bradley classes 01/06. I just wanted to say Hi. And see if there were any experienced wise mammas out here.
#28 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 02:37 PM

I think i am the exact opposite. I have a boy that i adore. He is my little man. I have found out that we are getting a girl this time and i secretly hope that the ultrasound isn't right. And that it is a boy anyway. I like being the only girl in the house. I also have 2 sisters so i know what teen years for a girl look like. I have seen how much a sweet little girl can break a momma's heart when they get to be a teen. A boy seems to always love his momma but i think a girl will rebel against her mom eventually. I know that i will love the baby no matter what. I just want to be as excited as i was with my first.
#29 of 29 Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in LR
I am new to this group, and found this section on due dates. I am also due in March 2006 with my second baby. I am having a homebirth with this one. Have all of you with previous babies had homebirths before? This is my first experience with a midwife and homebirth. My first was a terrible hospital/OB delivery. I am really looking in to all the options i didn't realize i had with my first baby. I am beginning Bradley classes 01/06. I just wanted to say Hi. And see if there were any experienced wise mammas out here.
Hello and welcome!

My DS was born in a hospital w/ a midwife. An OK birth IMO, but I'm betting my upcoming homebirth will be MUCH better.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page