protein, protein, protein..... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-19-2005, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

We're getting into the third trimester, and I'm starting to think more seriously about doing everything in my power to carry this baby to term. My water intake is fine, but I'm having a hard time getting enough protein in my diet.

What are you all doing to get protein? Any meal/snack ideas that have a TON of protein? Recipes?

Right now I'm counting on meat, mostly. Trader Joe's (a "natural" grocery chain) sells frozen buffalo burgers that have 43g (!) of protein each, plus they sell great frozen wild-caught fish fillets like Alaskan salmon and cod...that's got to be around 30-40g for a large serving. Still....I have to admit that I don't have the time/energy to be cooking up a meat dish every day. How are you getting your protein?

By the way, the salmon I like best is grilled, but you can do this in the oven, too....the simplest, yummiest salmon marinade is SO EASY...just mix equal portions of soy sauce and maple syrup and either brush the salmon regularly (if grilling) or pour over (if baking in a dish). It's a glaze suggested by the folks at America's Test Kitchen....mmmmmmmmm

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 18 Old 12-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I didn't know about the buffalo burgers!!!! Gonna have to get some of those!

I'm not to the third trimester yet - but I keep trying to get more protein in my diet...it is hard...

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 18 Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 PM

It's been on my mind as well.
I feel soo full most of the time that it is a struggle.

I've been pretty dependant on dairy protein--yogurt, cottage cheese, big glasses of milk.
I also keep lots of nuts (cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds) around, as well as having a nighttime high protein bread (5gms/slice) almond butter sandwich.
I've also been buying twice as many eggs and hardboiling one of the boxes for a ready anytime snack.
My kids also like the frozen Bell&Evans chicken patties and I think they're around 27gms, so I've been making a few extra to have around.

Most other things I find hard to tolerate. I couldn't even read the salmon recipe.
I'm definitely interested in what everyone else is eating.
#4 of 18 Old 12-19-2005, 11:10 PM

I've been adding nuts and dairy products to every meal. I've found it easier to get enough protein if I spread it through out the day instead of trying to pack huge amounts in at any single meal.
It's still a struggle, especially since certain foods which seem to be suggested first (beef and eggs) don't like me much

~Angela
#5 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 09:11 AM

RedOakMama, thanks for the tip on the buffalo burgers!! I may check that out.

Melamama, I am also doing the boil-one-dozen, keep-one-dozen eggs thing. I like deviled eggs and egg salad, but often I just eat them hard boiled.

KaliD, before pregnancy, nuts and dried fruit were regular snacks in my household, but now the nuts all taste rancid! :b I am sad to say I am sticking with nut butters, which are ridiculously expensive.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the cheapest, easiest protein of all: BEANS! I am a black bean fanatic. I buy black beans in bulk from our coop and mix up a batch. Instant nachos! I use them for dipping at work, along with some guacamole and salsa. Mmmm. Hummos is great for dipping with carrots and celery sticks. I have made several pots of curried split pea soup, and made this yummy lentil sweet potato soup the other day - simple and delicious! http://vegweb.com/recipes/soup/5270.shtml

I am also doing the 2x eggs thing, and also dairy - yogurt, kefir and milk. Whole wheat bread is a good source of protein and the fiber also keeps me from getting constipated. I really notice when I don't get my whole wheat! One slice with almond butter (mmmm...) and one slice with jelly (my daily sugar fix) in the morning, along with a bowl of Honey Gone Nuts granola, yogurt, banana and an orange is my daily breakfast.

I like meat too, but we don't cook it at home, so I eat it as a treat when I go out. Tom took me to our VERY expensive organic-free-range-specialty American restaurant (Zingerman's Roadhouse) and I had a salad, yam fries and a big beautiful hamburger with bleu cheese and applewood smoked bacon. (This is the only place I will order my burgers the way I like them... rare!) Yum. A party in my mouth.

But I admit, I haven't been getting as much FOOD in me as I should be having. Yesterday I skipped lunch entirely (busy teaching) and didn't eat a real meal until 8:30pm. Poor lentil was starving by then.
#6 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
Tom took me to our VERY expensive organic-free-range-specialty American restaurant (Zingerman's Roadhouse) and I had a salad, yam fries and a big beautiful hamburger with bleu cheese and applewood smoked bacon. (This is the only place I will order my burgers the way I like them... rare!) Yum. A party in my mouth.

like the Zingerman's catalogue? We just got another catalogue, and I'm drooling over their cheese section. I need an excuse to order some of their organic reggiano parmesan. mmm. now that would help my protein needs.
#7 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM

We love buffalo meat. The roasts are just amazing, but you have to cook them like venison (slow and low temp). I wonder about the protein level in ostrich burger. It is so yummy...I haven't looked at content though. The thing about ostrich, should you make it, is that it stays reddish in the middle no matter how long you cook it. DH says that as long as it reaches a certain temperature, it is o.k.

I love buffalo in my mac and cheese!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#8 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 PM

I'm struggling with this because DH and I are both somewhat picky eaters, but in different directions. I don't like beans or eggs, and he won't eat any meat but chicken or fish. That makes it tough! I get a lot of dairy, which helps somewhat, but I know many days I'm falling behind with the protein, and I just get so sick of chicken. I used to eat nuts constantly, but for whatever reason they just don't taste as good to me lately. I've been eating Jiff peanut butter by the spoonful, which I justify because it is helpful with the protein intake, but which horrifies me because we are hydrogenated oil-free except for this peanut butter. We were only using natural nut butters, which we still use for sandwiches, but it just doesn't stick on the spoon as well for snacking! (Has anyone used the Whole Kids brand PB from Whole Foods? It appears to be a similar texture, but without the icky oils, but I haven't bought any yet.)

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#9 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM

I'm sticking to dairy, I don't eat much meat (although we do have a buffalo farm nearby that makes steaks and burgers). I am trying for nuts and actually, Kashi has a lot of protein in the bars and in some of the cereals so I'm eating a lot of that too with milk. I haven't any problems with constipation, but I think that might be due to the fish oils and the Kashi.

I can't get into beans. The texture is icky to me. But I'm not much of a cook, so that might have something to do with it.
#10 of 18 Old 12-20-2005, 04:16 PM

I do a lot of dairy too.

Most days I'll eat two sticks of string cheese and a yogurt. Then I do my best for the 2 eggs a day. I try to eat meat with every meal and have a large glass of milk with dinner. Just reading that makes my intestines cramp up.

No matter how hard I try, I can't get to the 80 g/day that's suggested. I usually get to about 72. Really, one more serving of anything would probably take me there.
#11 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 02:44 AM

i used a whey protein powder from sprouts. it is their brand i think. i add a scoop to a 16oz glass of milk and have like 34gms of protein right there. i also have string cheese in the house for a quick protein snack as well. lot of protein in that little stick.
#12 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 05:59 PM

Well, I have completely not been thinking about protein... until I got a lecture from my midwife last night! OK, It wasn't as much a lecture as her shock in how little and infrequently I have been eating. She told me I need to eat WAY more protein, and I'm bound and determined to do it!

I have found that keeping track of what eat really makes me eat better. I downloaded the Brewer Pregnancy Diet Tracker in Excell... it was a bit complicated at first, but seems to keep track of just about everything.

I love beans, but like to eat them with corn chips, and if I have corn cips in the house I'll eat the whole bag! I don't have anything to add to what has been written here, I'm just taking notes so I can add some things to my grocery list this week!
#13 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamama

like the Zingerman's catalogue? We just got another catalogue, and I'm drooling over their cheese section. I need an excuse to order some of their organic reggiano parmesan. mmm. now that would help my protein needs.
Yes, Zingerman's Deli is in my home town (Ann Arbor). They have a brand new restaurant on the west side that is very popular: http://www.zingermansroadhouse.com/
#14 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Leigh, the Whole Kids peanut butter has the texture you're looking for, but it's full of sugar, so that's no good. Might be better than Jif though!

Hmmm... no beans... that means no chili? How about refried beans on nachos?
#15 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 09:04 PM

Hi. Can anyone expound on the value of protein, as discussed in your bradley classes? I understand the general idea but why do they say you need so much? Maybe if I knew more I'd be more motivated.

ALSO - any ideas for hydrating besides water? I have the most awful cold, and I feel totally dehydrated all the time. The sports drinks are loaded with sugar. I'm afraid if I get dehydrated and worn out I'll pick up something worse, like the flu. I already missed work which I hate, and I'm trying to save up as much time as I can for March.
#16 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
ALSO - any ideas for hydrating besides water?
I like sparkling water topped off with a little 100% fruit juice. It's yummy and if I drink it over ice in a cocktail glass, then it reminds me of pre-pregnancy in a good way.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#17 of 18 Old 12-21-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianamy
Leigh, the Whole Kids peanut butter has the texture you're looking for, but it's full of sugar, so that's no good. Might be better than Jif though!
This is always my problem! I love protein...if it's mixed with sugar. I love pork chops...if they have a sticky sweet glaze. I love nuts...if they are candied! I think my sweet tooth is actually WORSE in pregnancy, when it is more important for me to control it!

#18 of 18 Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM

I was recently given this tip for adding a little more protein to my diet. Add dry milk to your glass of milk to up the protein. DH hates dry milk and I dislike milk in general, but if it helps my over all protein intake ...I'll take one for the team

Here's a couple more:
add powdered milk and wheat germ to cooked cereal

add wheat germ or Brewer's yeast to cold cereal, pancakes, meat loaf, meat balls etc and baked goods.

Use Yogurt in baking

sub ground turkey for ground beef

~Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page