Leg shaving tip... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My last visit to Motherhood...they gave me one of those Intuitions razors. What an amazing device! I really wish I would have had one of those when I was learning how to shave decades ago. It makes it pretty impossible to knick yourself, which these days seems impossible to avoid.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#2 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 11:50 AM

I can't get down there to shave my legs too well anymore. And the bikini line is gone. I can't see it at all no matter what (so definitely not putting anything razor like down there!)
#3 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 12:19 PM

what's an intuition razor? (off to go google it)

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I can only get to my legs when I'm lying in the bath tub. I told dh that he will have to do the bikini area for me (TMI ALERT...keeps things cleaner with all of this gross discharge from pregnancy). He didn't seem too upset with that proposition. LOL

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#5 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 02:49 PM
Kam

I haven't shaved anything in months! It's winter, dagnabbit. I guess it helps that noone's lookin' anyway.
#6 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Me too, don't shave in the winter - heck, I barely shave in the summer! Just plain lazy!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#7 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 03:21 PM

not from your group, but I hated the intuition razor. I never seemed to get a very close shave, and that crazy lather stuff it's surrounded it was gone way too quickly.
#8 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM

I got one of those from Motherhood, too, and I also love mine right now. It has made leg shaving a lot easier when I shower, which I have to do because it's too hard to get out of the bathtub if I sit or lay down in the tub! : I'm still pretty lazy about shaving, but as Carrin said, it kind of keeps things a little cleaner . My dh very kindly offered to shave my bikini area for me, but I have been shaving that area so long that I can do it without looking - good thing, since I can't see it at all!

I have also noticed that with the Intuition razor that I don't get razor burn, like I did with just shaving cream or body wash and a razor.
#9 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM

The only way I could shave when pregnant was lay back and bring my legs to me!
#10 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 05:42 PM

I have used the intuition for a year or so and really like it. Basically it is a handheld disposable razor (replace the top, not the whole thing) with soap/lotion around the razor head... like and all-in-one. I have found that the soap wears down just about the time that the razor becomes dull, so that's when I change tops.

I can only do my legs in the bath, and still I have a hard time getting all around them. The bikini area has been a lost cause for awhile now, I tried about a month ago, but nicked myself (didn't realize it at the time) and freaked out when I went to the bathroom, wiped, and saw blood! Took me awhile to realize it was from my labia, not coming from inside me.

I have been considering getting a bikini wax. I have had them once or twice before and it is SO worth the pain! It lasts a long time and is so much smoother than when I shave. But they can be expensive, so I have been putting it off.
#11 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
I

I have been considering getting a bikini wax. I have had them once or twice before and it is SO worth the pain! It lasts a long time and is so much smoother than when I shave. But they can be expensive, so I have been putting it off.

I thought about this too, but then I thought about all the skinny make-up queens working at the salon who have never had a baby, and my big pregnant butt in there - they'd probably be talking about it for weeks! Best bet would probably be to do it at home, but having never done that, I don't know if home bikini waxes are a good idea.....
#12 of 20 Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 PM

Don't do it! Home bikini waxing is a bad, bad, very bad idea. Trust me. I have tried it. : It was a disaster! Painful, messy, awkward, painfull, messy, and painful and messy! : Cleaning up after was a mess, I had to soak in a hot bath to try to get all the sticky stuff off my hoochie coochie. And in the end, it didn't really take much off and I ended up shaving anyhow!
#13 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 12:19 AM

Well, I am one more in the "only shave when I absolutely HAVE to" camp (when I wear a skirt, or a swimsuit). But I do shave my underarms, and I do SOMETIMES shave my legs, and the razor I really like is the Venus. Another one of those "disposable head" razors, but without the big block of stuff around the razor head. The head pivots, so it makes for easier shaving around the ankles and knees (where I used to knick myself all the time).

What I do NOT like about the Venus is their insane marketing . . . first it was a Venus in a new color. Then it was a Venus that is fully disposable--HELLO?!? Why would you WANT to get rid of the whole handle every time instead of just getting rid of the head--what is the benefit there?!? And then recently they introduced the ridiculous vibrating Venus . . . I'm sorry, but the last thing I want is my razor vibrating while I am trying to shave. Talk about dangerous!

I am curious about waxing as well, because as lazy as I am about it, I do LIKE the feel of a shaved leg, and waxing seems like an easy way to keep it smooth for awhile. A little expensive, though, to have it professionally done . . . and I have heard that some people have a lot of problems with ingrown hairs after waxing. But I still may try it, if I get too big to reach my legs AND I need to wear a skirt for some dressy occasion . . . (*chuckle*) And I will definitely be enlisting DH's help with hair maintenance closer to the birth, as I hear that it (*ahem*) makes it easier in the post-partum period.
#14 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Home bikini waxing is a bad, bad, very bad idea.
TELL me about it! I tried the "sugaring" system (WTH does that mean, anyhow?) that they sold on infomercials several years ago. I tried it out on my legs, and it barely took any off. I could deal with the pain, IF I got good results . . . but this was just pain for no reason at all! : I can only imagine what it would have felt like if I had started with the bikini area first!
#15 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 AM

It was a freaking massacre when I used the Intuition. Cut myself right and left. I used my sister vibrating Venus last week. It rocked. Cut really close and much faster. Sooooo nice.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#16 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 03:49 PM

I like shaving my legs because it honestly makes me feel skinny. I know it physically does nothing but there is something hardwired incorrectly up there on this one.

I just use a regular disposable razor. I used the Venus for a few years but found that cheap disposables actually work better on me-and I have sensitive legs. I can only shave once every 2-3 days or it hurts. Bikini line is lost and I too have asked the husband for support. Of course, he offered to shave more than I asked for, so we haven't actually concquered the b-line. For now, I'm 26 weeks and just shave in the shower. A lot of times I can't see what I'm doing but I go for it anyway. So far, so good.

I'm interested in getting a wax too. My family is eastern European and I could use some extra help with the hair management. I'm just afraid. And, I'm a wimp.
#17 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 03:54 PM

When I was preg I shaved the way I normally did and have no problem. I just rest one foot on the ledge of the tub. THe binkini area I did in front of a mirror.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#18 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metasequoia
Me too, don't shave in the winter - heck, I barely shave in the summer! Just plain lazy!
Same here!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#19 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky
What I do NOT like about the Venus is their insane marketing . . . first it was a Venus in a new color. Then it was a Venus that is fully disposable--HELLO?!? Why would you WANT to get rid of the whole handle every time instead of just getting rid of the head--what is the benefit there?!? And then recently they introduced the ridiculous vibrating Venus . . . I'm sorry, but the last thing I want is my razor vibrating while I am trying to shave. Talk about dangerous!
Too funny...I thought this too. Its just a RAZOR! Not a computer! It just shaves your legs, it needn't have all these complicated features! I feel the same way about toothbrushes.....the way they market them you'd think you needed an instruction manual to use it. Esp. the part about the special handle grip for easy brushing - honestly, I never had trouble holding onto my toothbrush, and the addition of a rubber handle grip as a primary feature seems a bit over the top!
#20 of 20 Old 12-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Don't do it! Home bikini waxing is a bad, bad, very bad idea. Trust me. I have tried it. : It was a disaster! Painful, messy, awkward, painfull, messy, and painful and messy! : Cleaning up after was a mess, I had to soak in a hot bath to try to get all the sticky stuff off my hoochie coochie. And in the end, it didn't really take much off and I ended up shaving anyhow!
I once waxed an armpit at home (note the singular - I didn't make it to the second pit) Besides the annoyance of growing it out long enough to wax it, the bleeding and extreme pain made that the last attempt I ever made!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page