What's up with my boob?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think this is really more of a vent than a question, or I'd post it elsewhere.
Actually a post in health and healing a few weeks ago turned up little...
Anyway,
About a month ago, I started getting worried about my right breast. I had a benign lump removed about 3 years ago, and the area on and around the old scar had turned bright red and was itchy. (I mean itchier than the rest of my boob and the other one--itchy boobs seems to be real pregnancy symptom for me in general!) I showed my OB, who said it felt warm to the touch and was probably infected, so she put my on mild, pregnancy-safe antibiotics. At the end of the ten day course, the area was no longer bright red or warm, but was still noticeably purplish-pink. I phoned, she said I needed to go see a breast surgeon, since it was probably related to my prior surgery. Ooh, yeah, a breast surgeon, how fun.
So in the couple days before I got in to see him, the place got redder again, but not as much as it had been originally. He was not too concerned, but wanted to put me on a very heavy-duty antibiotic, but had the sense and decency to call my OB first. She vetoed that one, and they agreed together on an antibiotic that was more aggressive than the first one, but still not scary for the baby. So after a day or two of the new antibiotic, the place went back to purplish-pink. And after a full ten-day course, that is the way it still is.
I went in for my follow-up with the surgeon today, and he says we're just not going to do anything at all, that it's probably hormone related and the area is a little irritated because of all the changes going on in my breasts, and if he gives me more antibiotics I'm just going to develop a resistance. So just keep an eye on it.
Why don't they really know what they are talking about? Grrr. It's just sort of irritating. I'm not that worried about it--if it were that bad, it would hurt or the doctor would have been more concerned, right? I don't mind that he doesn't want to mess with it, because I think he was being respectful of my pregnancy, but I just feel sort of bleah about the whole profession. If they had never cut a perfectly harmless lump out of my breast, it wouldn't be doing this now...whatever it is doing!
My mother shared the story with a co-worker who said that her breast took forever to get back to its normal color after an infection, so maybe it's just that?
Bleah bleah bleah bleah.
Okay, done ranting. Thanks for listening. May we all have healthy, happy breasts, ready for lactation!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#2 of 3 Old 12-22-2005, 01:49 PM

Ugh, that is so frustrating! I tend to research things on my own before going to a doctor, then when you do finally go and they don't have an answer (let alone a solution) it can make you crazy!

I hope it doesn't start bugging you too much more. It will be interesting to see how it changes over the next several months, huh? It does seem to make sense that the changes in you r boobs would be irritating an old problematic area. Hopefully it will clear itsself up!
#3 of 3 Old 12-23-2005, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ellie! Yeah, I'm sure it will be fine. I guess I just needed to get that story "off my chest," so to speak.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page