Forgive me for asking, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2005, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...why are all the due date club people from December & January talking about painful and/or separated pubic bones? What is this new horror of which I know nothing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2005, 11:13 PM

They're talking about Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction.

This isn't something that happens to every woman in every pregnancy. I experienced symphysis pubis separation when I was pregnant with my twins (began around 6 months pg) but have not had any problems in any of my other pregnancies.

It is not common for the pubic bones to truly separate....pubic pain is common in later pregnancy due to the relaxation of the ligaments holding the pelvis together, which is probably what most of the Dec/Jan ladies are experiencing. But true symphysis pubis separation is hideous. It makes walking or rolling over in bed or any movement, really, fairly excruciating (and no, I'm not exaggerating). The more-common pubic pain is uncomfortable, but doesn't bring you to tears. So (((( hugs ))))) don't worry....you won't necessarily have this unpleasant side-effect of pregnancy.

HTH!
Old 12-27-2005, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

:

I didn't know about this. I hope it doesn't happen to me!
Old 12-28-2005, 02:31 AM

*sigh* I have it. It is horrible.. Anyone know of anything I can do to alleviate it?
Old 12-28-2005, 02:49 AM

Here's what I found in a google search:

"Is there any treatment?
Unfortunately there is no way of tightening the ligaments again during pregnancy, so no treatment will be able to cure SPD. This includes any sort of osteopathy, reflexology or acupuncture. However, after the birth the body stops producing the hormone, so the ligaments tighten up and (for the majority of women) the symptoms gradually disappear.

So what can be done?
The most important thing is to avoid doing anything that aggravates the condition, such as standing on one leg.

Sit on a chair to get dressed.
Be very careful to get into a car by putting your bottom on the seat first, and then lifting your legs into the car.
When you get out, lift your legs onto the pavement and then lift your bottom off the seat.
If you go swimming, don't swim breaststroke.
Always turn over in bed with your knees firmly together.
Make sure you get a rest (in bed) every day.
If you already have a child, you will need help, as you will find it difficult to lift him or her."

For what it's worth, I had cessation of symptoms within 4 days of my twins being born. So hopefully you'll find relief quickly after birth, as well. Sorry you're experiencing SPD. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (well....maybe..... ).
Old 12-28-2005, 03:14 AM

You can see a Physical Therapist or Chiro. I had symphysis pain last pg along with SI problems. I work with PT's so I decided to check in with them. I learned an energy release and some other exercises. Even though the ligaments and cartilage loosen you can still use your muscles to tighten things up. Even though the PT didn't actually suggest this, I do isometric butt squeezes throughout the day esp when I am sitting because the transition from sitting to standing can be very painful. I have a lot less pain than last PG, even though it seems like problems started earlier this PG.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:27 AM

If you have just the uncomfortable pain of loosening, you can put a beach ball (or something, a pillow) between your knees (with your feet together on the floor/bed) while you are laying on your back with the knees up.. and slowly squeeze the knees with the ball/pillow between them together for a count of 10... and do that a few times a day... (i think I do it ofr 6 reps 2x a day (once when i wake up, once before bed, and anytime i feel like i need it).

I don't know if this helps true separation.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

User Tag List