A little, er, backed up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok. This is definitely NOT polite dinner conversation, nor is it something I'm usually comfortable discussing. But, it's gotten to the point where I need to hear some mamas say, "me too!" and get some advice. Anybody else out there not pooping? I just came off of a 3-day hiatus and when it finally happened, it was most certainly NOT 3 days' worth. Let's just say what came out was less than satisfying. Now it's been well over 24 hours since anything's happened. Should I get prune juice? Does prune juice taste awful? How about Metamucil?
#2 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 AM

Me too!

My system has been all sorts of screwy since I go PG (let's not even discuss the gas issues!) I basically started making sure I was eating a high-fiber cereal for breakfast & nightime snack, and it's helped a little, at least every third day now, which is better than the once a week before all the fiber.

I personally cannot STAND prune juice, so I couldn't bring myself to drink it. I like prunes, though.... I don't know if they would have the same effect. Can't hurt to try it, though.

My doc said I could take a fiber suplement like Metamucil or something, but I haven't gotten to a point where I want to try that yet.

Good luck... PG really is a total body experience, huh?

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowwood mama
Ok. This is definitely NOT polite dinner conversation, nor is it something I'm usually comfortable discussing. But, it's gotten to the point where I need to hear some mamas say, "me too!" and get some advice. Anybody else out there not pooping? I just came off of a 3-day hiatus and when it finally happened, it was most certainly NOT 3 days' worth. Let's just say what came out was less than satisfying. Now it's been well over 24 hours since anything's happened. Should I get prune juice? Does prune juice taste awful? How about Metamucil?
Not just you...mine started again recently, after a nice little hiatus during the second trimester. I started eating some prunes tonight, and I guess I better start taking flax seed again. And I haven't even started the iron supplement my mws want me to take! Then it's really going to be bad .

Oh, and, you know, there isn't anything polite about pregnancy! You just have to come out and talk about your constipation, hemmorhoids, and mucous plug. Of course, I am probably the Queen of TMI .....
#4 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 09:02 AM

Kashi Go Lean cereal helps me, has a lot of fiber if you can stand the taste. Also, I upped my fish oil supplement and that helped momentarily.
#5 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Good thoughts, all. Maybe I'll start with the prunes and work my way up. Have you noticed, though, that they're not called "prunes" anymore? They're "dried plums." Nice marketing strategy! Still nothing brewing down there for me this morning. Lovely.
#6 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 11:03 AM

Yeah, for some reason I associate prunes with old people. I think they did make a marketing effort to change the name.

Also, at least here, skim milk used to have a bluish tinge and it tasted thin, and it was called skim milk. A few years ago they started calling it non-fat milk and its mysteriously not thin and blue anymore but supposedly the same thing.
#7 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 11:44 AM

I second the Kashi! I've eaten either that, or something like Raisin Nut Bran every morning of my pregnancy. It's like, as soon as I'm done eating it, I have to go.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#8 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 11:50 AM

Need to hear another "me too"? Me too! Actually, it's been from one extreme to the other (diarrhea to constipation and back again, ad nauseum) for me this PG. A while back I went 5 days w/out any action. Talk about bloated! Ugh.

Dried apricots and a cup of hot black tea often help me when nothing else will. Just another idea to try.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#9 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine

Dried apricots and a cup of hot black tea often help me when nothing else will. Just another idea to try.
That's funny because regular tea totally destroys any semblance of normal body functions for me! One cup and I am completely stopped up for days. Esp. true of green tea but varieties of black tea will do that to me too. I don't know if its just the caffeine or what, but coffee doesn't do that to me.

Also, Kashi has bars that are pretty good...I eat those with as much water as I can drink and it sometimes helps the problem. Do you think its because our digestive systems are deranged? Or because your body slows everything down to try to wring every last nutrient out of what you eat.
#10 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
Do you think its because our digestive systems are deranged?
I know mine is deranged!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#11 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Me and mine are starting to act up. I think I'm abotu 2 weeks behind everyone else here but for now, lots of water and veggies and apples. But, if need be, I go straight for a full bodied cup of coffee. It works every time for me.

Also, I put my feet on my bathtub or on a foot stool to try to raise my knees up and this helps too. : Not really irked, just thought the face was representative.
#12 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM

I am having major constipation, but I find as long as I eat breakfast, take my fish oil and get at least one good serving of fiber-full foods (whole wheat, granola, etc.), I'm OK. It's not fun though. Hang in there!
#13 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 04:59 PM

I was horribly backed up last time. I tried taking fiber tablets, but the amount of fiber you get per tablet is so tiny.... I tried eating tons of fiber, drinking tons of water, and NOTHING worked. It was awful.

This time (graphic...) my poo is so strangely soft! It practically dives into the toilet! The only difference this pregnancy from last is that this time I'm taking fish oil capsules. I take four in the evening (though I was getting the same poop results with just two), and by the next morning after breakfast, I'm ready to go. It's kept me really, really regular.

Needless to say, I'm going to be taking fish oil for a while after the baby is born. The Omega 3s are good for a nursing baby, and soft poo is good for a sore post-birth bottom.

If you're interested, I'm taking the Spectrum brand. No fishy aftertastes.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#14 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 05:31 PM

Mine's really bad, too. Then when it DOES come... let's just say it's not an easy 20 minutes in the bathroom.

I like the lemon essence dried plumbs, they are pretty tasty. Also, drink lots of water. My MW said that liquid chlorophyll should help, so I drink a swig of the mint flavored (Chlorofresh is best) at night. It didn't seem to help too much, so I've started adding it to my drinking water throughout the day, and It has helped. Plus there are many other benefits of Chlorophyll, so I keep taking it.

You are definately NOT alone!
#15 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
This time (graphic...) my poo is so strangely soft! It practically dives into the toilet!

#16 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Me too!!!

I love Kashi and will have to try that!

I can't have apples or apple juice or any type of fruit for that matter because of my GD. My blood sugar will skyrocket if I do.

My dr. said to eat lots of salad and broccoli which helped, but his nurse, who is pg and due in March too said, "That doesn't work! Get you some Doxidan! sp?" I have also been taking the Metamucil caps which help some, but I still get backed up for days on end!
#17 of 21 Old 12-29-2005, 11:06 PM

I haven't had any problems this time around but Oat Bran cereal has a lot of fiber. It's a hot cereal. They sell Bob's Red Mill around here but I think you can find it on any cereal aisle. I also eat prunes. I think they're yummy. I tasted prune juice, yuck!
#18 of 21 Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 PM

well, uhm, a totally different approach to it.. (along with all the water and extra fiber tips of course..) Is to go the way nature intended us...
http://naturesplatform.com

*runs off and hides cuz most people thinks she is nuts*

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#19 of 21 Old 12-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Well, Yvonne, that is the way that you see little babies filling their diapers. BUT being pg and not having great balance anyway....I don't know that I would be able to get in and out of that position too well.
#20 of 21 Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM

Yvonne, totally makes sense to me! That's the way we're taught to give birth in Bradley class too!
#21 of 21 Old 12-30-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie_may12
Well, Yvonne, that is the way that you see little babies filling their diapers. BUT being pg and not having great balance anyway....I don't know that I would be able to get in and out of that position too well.

Yeah, I do have to hold onto the sink, or a hand against the wall, and behind myself when I first mount, but then I am okay. THe more you do it though, the better your balance becomes, pregnant or not. Wished I lived in our own place so I could replace the toilets with squatting ones. *dreams on*

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page