How goes the sewing/crafting? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have like 6 months of sewing to cram into three months. I keep telling DH that I'm gonna be pushing on all fours so I can operate the sewing machine at the same time

We went on Monday and regestered for the baby shower, so I was finally able to go to the fabric store and pick out the bedding fabric (we are cosleeping with the crib as a side car). DH actually helped! We went with green and brown. We picked this awesome chocolate brown with golden brown embrodered leaves, a nice light creamy tan, a dark green with dragonflies & gold flecks and a sage green check print.

( Pic of the fabrics - does not do justice! )

The dark brown is just going to be in the quilt (wall-hang) the tan is going to be the sheets, the dark green is going to be the bumper pads & dust ruffle trim & the sage green is going to be the dust ruffle. All the fabrics will also be in the wall-hang to sort of tie everything together. I can't wait to get it done!

I also ordered the sling rings, and picked up the fabric for both slings I'm making, so I'll be doing those as soon as the rings get here.

I'm gonna be ordering the fabric for the cloth dipes as soon as DH's tax money gets here. That's gonna be a BIG project, but I'm really excited about it!

I'm doing a TON more sewing for this baby than I did for DD, all she got was a bedding set (although it was MUCH more complicated than this one) I MUST be crazy to take all this on

Sooo... how's everyone else's crafting & sewing going?

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 08:02 AM

Uhhhhm, it doesn't, yet. I was hoping DH would follow through with decluttering the house this week so that I would have the space to work on my projects, but yeah right. At least the storage area downstairs is done.

Bleh, in my mood, I'd just tear my projects up and burn them, heh.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#3 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 11:48 AM

I've gotten the fabric to make a sling. Where do I purchase the rings for it?

I'm going to attempt making some more cloth wipes (I purchased some from weceedee.com, they are awesome), and I'm also going to try to make some menstrual pads for after delivery...I hate the plastic ones.

Keep in mind, I haven't sewn in literally 25 years, so it should be interesting.

I started knitting, and my next project there will be for Ben. Right now I'm working on a scarf for myself.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#4 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 11:55 AM

It's going okay. I want to make DH his own sling for his birthday (in about three weeks). I'm looking for manly camouflage fabric online, to remind him fondly of his Marine Corps days, but it's hard to tell what the weight of it is. I want it to be sturdy, but not scratchy or harsh on baby's skin. The sites that sell it are interested in qualities of the fabric other than the ones I'm looking for! I asked DH if he wanted one before I started looking, because I didn't want to surprise him with something he wouldn't use, and he thought it was cool. He said, "I won't call it a sling, though, I'm going to call it my baby holster!"

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#5 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 PM

Ugh! I feel like I have so much to do! My goal for today is to design my quilt. Tomorrow I'm going to scrounge up the materials at local fabric shops, and if I'm *really* driven this weekend I'll try to get all the patchwork pieces cut out. I'm nervous about leaving it to this late, though...spending that much time on the floor, crouched over and rotary cutting, is going to mean a VERY sore back. Why did I leave it this long?!?

The fleece blankets aren't done, either, but they're pretty easy....if only my sewing machine didn't act as if it was allergic to all things fleece, I'd be getting one done every ten minutes! As it is, I sew for five minutes, then spend another twenty trying to figure out why the my sewing maching keeps messing up the stitch. Kinda irritating, but I *love* the fleecy blankets....

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin
I've gotten the fabric to make a sling. Where do I purchase the rings for it?
I got some from ACE Hardware. They are 3" metal rings and were about $1.25 each.
#7 of 16 Old 12-29-2005, 07:55 PM

I have one sling done...and need to finish the other. The one is a double layered one that will be too warm to use in the summer down here.

I have a pattern and fabric to make a gown for her dedication, but haven't even started on it.

I also want to make a car seat blanket and nursing camisoles, but I need some measurements for it.
#8 of 16 Old 12-30-2005, 12:55 AM

I've been working on my cross-stitch project, and got the face of Mother Earth finished today--I have already finished her dress, but that is ALL. I still have to do all the animals, the water, the background, AND then I have to put it into the center of a quilt. And yesterday marked THREE MONTHS until my due date--how am I EVER going to finish on time?

I have been sticking it out at my horrible, awful place of employment because I want to work right up until the baby is born, since we are going to only one income a bit sooner than we had always planned and I want to have a bit of a savings account put aside as a "cushion" (or at least just pay off things like childbirth classes and the labor tub which have been put onto a credit card). The other day, though, I was joking to DH that I really ought to quit now, just so that I can get all the crafting & reading done before the baby arrives!
#9 of 16 Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

I got my sling rings at www.slingrings.com I prefer the nylon ones, they aren't heavy at all, don't make noise, don't get cold/hot and are weight tested to like 200lbs. They also come in a bunch of different colors

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#10 of 16 Old 12-30-2005, 06:11 PM

EEK! Now I've gone and done it!

....I went to the quilting store to get the fabrics for the baby quilt, and they were having a fat quarter sale...$1 each! This is one of those homespun, mom-run, REALLY nice quilting fabric places, so of course I went hog wild and bought enough quarters for a quilt I'd like to make "someday." ....then I found a bit of inner strength and got the baby fabric I need, BUT....on the way to the check out, after my other projects were set, I found the most adorable "Noah's Ark" fabrics I've ever seen. Since this baby might be a Noah, and since the fabrics were so gorgeous, I couldn't stop myself....they're kind of whimsical, kind of Celtic, and not religious at all....just lots of bunnies and sheep and a lovely olive branch pattern with little boats in the background. UGH! I couldn't resist!!!!

So now I have TWO (eek!) quilts to make for the baby, plus a whole set of gorgeous fabrics to make a quilt for myself...

(have I mentioned that I have two unfinished quilts lurking around the house from the summer?....)

I'm going to be ATTACHED to the sewing machine from now until March.... Birth Junky, I feel your pain!

#11 of 16 Old 12-30-2005, 06:17 PM

Elisabeth!!! I would kill for some Noah's ark fabric. Wal-Mart doesn't have any and our two fabric stores were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. I'm so glad you were able to find some.
#12 of 16 Old 12-31-2005, 01:14 AM

If you'd like to see the Noah's ark fabric I used (and you can buy it cheaper on-line), search for "Moda all creatures great and small"....Moda is the fabric maker (FANTASTIC quality), and the Noah's ark line is called "all creatures great and small." You can see a few of the available prints (each site only shows a few, but there are 12-15 available):

http://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabri...eat-small.aspx

_or_

http://www.ericas.com/fabric/allcreatures.htm

The fabrics I bought for my own "someday" quilt are also by Moda...you can see them (and order them) at this site:

http://www.glassthimble.com/store/ci...dafabrics.html

If you like the ark fabrics and have any questions about what they look/feel like "close up", just PM me...I'm always happy to chat about quilting stuff!

I hope that helps! I've heard really good things about ordering fabric on-line, and as long as you stick with reputable fabrics (like Moda), you know what you're getting.

#13 of 16 Old 12-31-2005, 12:40 PM

Okay, you inspired me to do some web searching for Swedish quilting stores and I found 3 very awesome ones.. ONe of them was VERY tempting to buy their precut fat quarters.. I just can't remember how many I need for a baby quilt, have to go find my pattern and look. Tee hee. Lots of great material and patterns and lively colors. Definitely scratching on my quilting bone. (even sell 110 one-eighth, or is ith one-quarter squares for less than 20 bucks (cheap here)!!)

I also found a site that sells organic/ecological material like nettle fabric and cotton.. so I will keep taht for future use too. So excited.

So, now, I just have to wait for my arm to heal up (strained it a bit too much this week) so that I can finish decluttering the house.. then I can work on crafts.

**wishing myself a speedy recovery**

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#14 of 16 Old 12-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the sites! I wonder if it is too blue for a girl's room? I really like it though!

I have never even heard of ordering fabric online. Ya learn something new everyday!
#15 of 16 Old 12-31-2005, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birth Junky
I have been sticking it out at my horrible, awful place of employment because I want to work right up until the baby is born, since we are going to only one income a bit sooner than we had always planned and I want to have a bit of a savings account put aside as a "cushion" (or at least just pay off things like childbirth classes and the labor tub which have been put onto a credit card). The other day, though, I was joking to DH that I really ought to quit now, just so that I can get all the crafting & reading done before the baby arrives!
(*chuckle*) I swear, I DIDN'T do it so that I could get my crafting projects & reading done . . .

But I DID quit my job yesterday!

I am SO, so happy to be done with that place, and already lining up outcall massages for some of my old clients, so I will still be bringing in some income over the next few months. AND I will have more time to read . . . but really, that's just a bonus!
#16 of 16 Old 12-31-2005, 06:04 PM

Congratulations, Birth Junkie!! : I'm so happy for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page