What's that cosleeping thing called? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

There's a certain co-sleeping device I want, and I know I've seen it in a magazine somewhere, but now that I want it I (of course) can't find it....

It's a soft, flat surface with slightly raised bumpers that you can put in the middle of your bed (up between the pillows)....it gives baby a sheltered place to sleep, but baby is still on the bed, still close enough to snuggle.

It's not the side-lying nursing co-sleeping contraption....this thing is more like a soft, low "compartment" for baby to sleep in....from memory, it looks entirely soft, like it's made of terry cloth and maybe some foam on the inside of the bumpers.

Anybody have one? Anybody know what to call it? Anybody know what magazine it's in?

Thanks for your help!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 02:44 PM

Are you thinking of the 'Snuggle Nest'? I think some people really like those, but I personally never saw the point as my dd always wanted to be squished up against me

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 02:49 PM

Yep, it's the Snuggle Nest. We have one. I plan to use it until Tom gets over his fear of rolling over on our kid.
#4 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 02:51 PM

Yep. Snuggle nest. We planned to get one, so glad we never got around to it. It would have been a pain in the neck....

-Angela
#5 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 PM

I agree with the pps.

They won't be close enough to snuggle with (and you won't be able to snuggle with dh), and you'll have to pick them up to nurse. Do you change it when you roll over to nurse the other side? Do you really have room enough for another person and that in your bed?

But then when I nest I don't collect baby stuff, I throw out about half of the things we have. Nesting to me means simplifying, not collecting more things to take care of
#6 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 04:57 PM

We used a Snuggle Nest w/ DS. It worked well until he was about 3 mos. old.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#7 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine
We used a Snuggle Nest w/ DS. It worked well until he was about 3 mos. old.
That's pretty much what I expected. I got it on Freecycle from a nice woman who had a preemie.
#8 of 17 Old 12-31-2005, 06:02 PM

Here's another one: I'm looking for a sidecar that is right at the level of the bed. I noticed all the cosleepers I've seen so far go down off the side of the bed. Seems kind of useless. Anyone know of a sidecar like that?
#9 of 17 Old 01-01-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

I co-slept with my twins for two years (one nursing on each side), and I'm looking for other options this time....I still want to co-sleep, but last time I felt too pinned down (probably a twin thing) and I'd like to be able to *put* the baby somewhere close if during the night I need to roll around or be in a non-nursing position. I'm just going to try this thing out...even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have tried _something_ to rid myself of back pain.

(BTW....the back pain is from nursing twins, both of whom were low-tone from their disabilities...I had to stay in a very set, rigid position to nurse them through the night that first year. Just wanted to let y'all know so I'm not frightening any first-timers who are thinking of co-sleeping! Given one baby, or possibly even "typical" twins, I think my back could have been fine.)

nubianamy~ do you have an overstuffed mattress, or one of the older, flatter mattresses? I wonder if some of the sidecar co-sleepers would be more even with a non-overstuffed mattress. I know our bed is a good 4-5 inches lower than a "typical" bed, just because the mattress is from the pre-overstuffed fad. There's a good sidecar cosleeper offered by One Step Ahead...not sure if it's too low, though.

#10 of 17 Old 01-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Their Sleigh cosleeper is beautiful! http://www.onestepahead.com/product/...58755/117.html But I still don't think it would be useful because you still have to pick up your baby to nurse her at night.
#11 of 17 Old 01-01-2006, 04:26 PM

www.babiesrus.com has 2 co-sleepers, a side-car like crib that attaches; one is bigger, the other seems to be more portable and smaller. I also just saw in the recent Mothering magazine one called the Baby Bunk, at www.babybunk.com

It looks a little smaller and lower.

I was joking with my husband that we should go to PetSmart and get a firm doggie bed with raised sides. I can just see the looks of horror on my family's face.
#12 of 17 Old 01-01-2006, 11:56 PM

I haven't seen anything that is on the same level as the bed, so we are getting a crub, taking off one side, and attaching it to our bed, like a sidecar.

The one we registered for can convert to a toddler bed or a day bed. I was hesitent to go for the crib, but I also kinda got tired of MIL asking if we had registered for a crib yet. I tried to explain so many times that we were going to co sleep and wouldn't need one... but she didn't get it. Anyhow, I think this one could last us awhile, and we will just sidecar it to the bed for the first year or two. If it isn't flush with the bed, we will add a layer of foam under the crib mattress.

Another idea is to build up a mini bed unbetween your bed and the wall. My cousin did this using cinder blocks, plywood, and foam. It was a bit longer than crib size, and she loved it because then if baby is inbetween her hubby and her, she can roll onto the new addition and get some extra space.
#13 of 17 Old 01-04-2006, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

nubianamy and ell-bell~ I think I might have found something you're looking for! Did you know they make leg-extenders for sidecar cosleepers? I've been buying a lot of baby stuff on ebay this time, and while searching for the snuggle nest, I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leg-extensions-f...QQcmdZViewItem

They're leg extensions for the Arm's Reach Co Sleeper! I assume they're used for raising the height of a co-sleeper?

FYI!

#14 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks, Elisabeth! I definitely think that would help. I am going to wait to see if we get the cosleeper in our registry, and if not, we may buy it with the leg extenders. Or we may just try out the Snuggle Nest and stick with that.

I was noticing how much room Tom and I take up in our HUGE king sized bed!!
#15 of 17 Old 01-05-2006, 02:12 PM

That does look like it would help, but the co-sleeper itsself has a little 3 inch (or so) ledge on the side that goes up to the bed, so it seems to me that even if you raise it up, you still have to lift the baby up and over it? I guess I'd probably still lift even if it WAS flush with the bed though, huh? I mean, I don't plan on ROLLING it over to my boob!
#16 of 17 Old 01-06-2006, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell
I guess I'd probably still lift even if it WAS flush with the bed though, huh? I mean, I don't plan on ROLLING it over to my boob!
:

I'm sorry; the mental image of that was just hilarious.
#17 of 17 Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 AM

I don't really know! I mean, it's hard for me to imagine what it's going to be like, never having nursed at night. I lived with a woman and her infant (my godson) and we all coslept in one big bed, so I know she just put her son right next to her and that was it! But we had TWO beds pushed right up next to each other, so we had a lot more room then. I worry even with the king that we will be crowded.

I dunno. I guess I'll just see how things go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page