Heartburn - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
: Anyone have any good remedies for heartburn? I had it with Dd1 & it didn't go away until I pushed her out. For some reason, I didn't have it (or it wasn't very bad) with Dd2. This time it sucks! It just started to rear it's ugly head this past week, argh.

I don't buy the old wives' tale, both Dd's had loads of hair....

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#2 of 20 Old 01-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been dealing with heartburn at night. It doesn't happen as much if I eat a smaller evening meal, but then I can't sleep through the whole night because I get hungry...
The only other thing that seems to help is sleeping propped up on a few pillows. That helps with the congestion I've been having, and the gravity seems to help with the heartburn.
Good luck!
(And P.S. I think hairy babies are cute, so I am buying into that old wives tale to cheer me up about the heartburn! )

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#3 of 20 Old 01-01-2006, 11:27 PM

I have it bad too. I've had it since I was three months, all day every day, not just at night. I just swig milk and take Tums when I can, and if I can't do either one, I try to drown it with water and stay upright. Diet doesn't seem to affect it for me - of course spicy foods make it worse, but it happens with pretty much everything I eat.
#4 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 02:41 AM

My heartburn has just started up too. It's usually in the evening. I try to sit up, maybe sip some milk or water. But what really helps me.....peppermint Tums. I have a big container of them in my kitchen. I joked with dh last night that the container is going to be empty by the time the baby comes. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Hope you find something that helps!

Jill
#5 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 07:01 AM

Okay, my btdt, tried and trued method of dealing with lovely heartburn and acid reflux when pregnant: Avoid sugary items 2-3 hours before bed (as well as liquids, drink as much water as you need to whet your tongue, but not so much it gurgles and comes back, ya? which means making sure to get your water in for the day before this time at night, not so easy, I know!)

Drink one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a half glass of water (4ish oz) about 1-2 hours before bed.

(can try drinking it about 45 minutes after a meal earlier in the day to help with heartburn during that time too, just make sure to give your tummy enough time to release enough enzymes, acid, etc to digest your food before it hits your intestineal track.. same thing with tums and other antiacids)

Hope that helps someone else too.

(PS, anyone else read stories of mums saying that they were told taking TUMS and other 'calcium fortified' antiacids caused their placenta to calcify? Something about it being the wrong type of calcium for the body to use up effectively...)

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#6 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonnemlv

(PS, anyone else read stories of mums saying that they were told taking TUMS and other 'calcium fortified' antiacids caused their placenta to calcify? Something about it being the wrong type of calcium for the body to use up effectively...)
I am fairly sure that Tums is not a form of calcium that your body uses very well, despite the company's claims otherwise. I don't have a reference for it though. All the references to placenta looking crystallized have been anecdotal...I've never read anything "official" about that.
#7 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 12:26 PM

I don't have heartburn so much as indigestion. I was feeling like if I didn't get everything eaten by 5pm I couldn't eat any more.
What has helped me is homeopathic NuxVomica 30. I take it when I start to feel bad. I usually only need to take one dose to get through the evening.

I've also heard of taking apple cider vinegar--not always diluted, sometimes just a teaspoon straight. And eating raw almonds is supposed to help also.
I also drink peppermint tea.

During my first pg my midwife told me not to take any Tums. I had already been using them for some time when I stopped, and I do think my placenta didn't look great when she checked it after the birth.
#8 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 01:38 PM

there is some great advice floating around.... i have had bad acid reflux/heartburn since my 3rd month but am able to control it now....
i use papaya enzymes and nux vomica (health food stores). Those and no eating fatty foods after 7 or 8pm is the secret for me.
good luck,
marcy
#9 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 01:58 PM

^
I second the papaya tablets. I just eat about 4 if i feel a flare up.
#10 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, and I even have Nux vomica on hand!! Yippy! I also have some Garden of Eden or something apple cider vinegar, I'll try 'em both. I heard icky stuff about the Tums as well. Thanks mama's!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#11 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 03:53 PM

This may not be the best advice, but I swear it works for me. If I have heartburn, I have a bowl of ice cream before bed. Like I said, maybe not the healthiest, but sure is tasty!
#12 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

This is so gross, I'm contemplating making myself puke.....So I just ate this huge bowl of chili with loads of raw garlic = heartburn galore & followed it with a few chugs of the nasty mixture of water & cider vinegar. I've had Eden Organic raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar in my fridge (it's been opened) for a while - does it go bad? I'd say it's been a couple of years, I don't know how to tell with something like that. I wouldn't think that vinegar would go bad?? Yuck, nasty tasting mixture - although, my heartburn might have improved.....
Should I worry if it was bad?

#13 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwuko
I am fairly sure that Tums is not a form of calcium that your body uses very well, despite the company's claims otherwise. I don't have a reference for it though. All the references to placenta looking crystallized have been anecdotal...I've never read anything "official" about that.
I have heard that TUMS isn't absorbed by the body like other forms of calcium too.

I take Prilosec OTC and have been since my first tri ended. I have had terrible GERD for about 8 years now and was on Rx meds until the Prilosec OTC came out. My dr. said that this is fine to take as long as it isn't in the first tri. But it isn't for occasional heartburn. I still get heartburn even with the Prilosec now that my stomach is being pushed into my throat. Smaller meals help; avoiding fried foods, spicy foods, chocolate, coffee, and fatty foods; and drinking milk.
#14 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 05:43 PM

I wouldn't worry about it being bad.. and yes apple cider variety can... (don't think white vinegar has ever gone bad on me, but it never lasts around the house long enough.. lol) It shouldn't hurt you, just tastes quite nasty..

go get a new bottle and compare the taste, tee hee.

#15 of 20 Old 01-02-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaaah, decided to go with the ice cream instead - it sure does taste better .

The baby definitely did NOT like the chili! I thought his foot was going to puncture my skin! Even my oldest Dd couldn't believe how hard he was kicking.

#16 of 20 Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM

My MIL swears by a tablespoon of vinegar for her heartburn. She dumped all the drugs her Dr. was feeding her for reflux when she found out how well the vinegar worked. I can't quite bring my self to try it though!

My midwife also mentioned something about TUMs not being good due to the type of calcium in it. She recommended Pepcid AC if I couldn't find papaya enzyme tablets.

The papaya really works for me! If I put anything in my stomach after 6 or 7 pm I get that bubbly ickyness. Even a sip of water right before I lay down causes hours of unpleasantness...doesn't quite seem fair that water does it too, LOL.

~Angela
#17 of 20 Old 01-03-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliD
The papaya really works for me! If I put anything in my stomach after 6 or 7 pm I get that bubbly ickyness. Even a sip of water right before I lay down causes hours of unpleasantness...doesn't quite seem fair that water does it too, LOL.

~Angela

Have you tried a few drops of lemon or lime juice in the water at that time to see if it helps the bubblies in the tummy?

#18 of 20 Old 01-03-2006, 01:40 PM

I don't get heartburn b/c I carry so low (peeing every 5 mins., now that's another story).... But I do have an idea to add b/c a good friend of mine had horrible PG heartburn. She ate yogurt whenever it flared up, and the yogurt helped a lot.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#19 of 20 Old 01-08-2006, 03:28 AM

I don't know about the calcium in Tums but they sure help my heartburn and indigestion! I'm not taking them for the calcium so I'm not worried. I also drink lots of milk and eat tons of yogurt when I'm feeling an "attack" coming on.

"I don't get heartburn b/c I carry so low"
LOL, I'm carrying low too.... the baby's head is right on my bladder and I have a bum on one side of my ribs and feet on the other. I still have heartburn and indigestion, go figure!

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#20 of 20 Old 01-08-2006, 07:58 PM

I always have major heartburn while pregnant - drinking milk does always seem to help. I haven't ever heard about the vinegar thing before...I may try it...I vinegar, LOL!! :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page