molasses - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any yummy ideas/recipes with molasses? I am low on iron and read/heard it's an incredible source.
thanks so much!
marcy
#2 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM

Do you like gingerbread? My friend makes wonderful gingerbread cookies and a pumpkin/cream cheese dip to go with them. Very yummy!
#3 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 05:40 PM

you should be able to replace sugar with molasses in whatever recipe you have.. I believe molasses is sweeter so you would use less.. or use it to sweeten your tea with if you drink any..

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 10:06 PM

Make sure you get blackstrap molasses. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...spice&dbid=118 That's the kind with all the iron and calcium and stuff.
#5 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-30-06 in seattle
Does anyone have any yummy ideas/recipes with molasses? I am low on iron and read/heard it's an incredible source.
thanks so much!
marcy
I love Epicurious for any recipes.
I got a good gingerbread cookie recipe from them last month.

Just in case the molasses isn't enough to boost your iron, check out Floradix

I am definitely not one for liquid medicines, and am already easily grossed out--but the Floradix is not bad tasting. I've used it in each pg and often pick it up (when I'm not pg) just when I'm not feeling 100% and it's great.
#6 of 13 Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM

ETA: sorry to barge in. I love molasses, and once in 1999-2000, I was due in March .

I don't much care for Floradix myself, but many people do like it. There is a recipe for a blackstrap molasses iron syrup in Aviva Jill Romm's The Natural Pregnancy Book which is very good and relatively simple to make.

We sometimes give this to my older son because he wanted our coffee: We call it Kid's coffee. Mix 1 T. blackstrap molasses with 1 cup warm water and drink.

Also this is very yummy:

Molasses Bread from Martha Rose Shulman's Every Woman's Guide to Eating During Pregnancy p. 53:

1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. unbleached flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/4 c. packed dark brown sugar
1 c. plain yogurt or buttermilk (can use soy buttermilk by adding 1 T. vinegar to 1 c. soy milk---let stand)
1/2 c. blackstrap molasses
1/4 c. sunflower or canola oil
3/4 c. dark or golden raisins (optional---golden raisins are very yummy with this)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Oil or butter an 8- or 9-inch loaf pan.
2. Sift together the flours, baking powder, ginger, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
3. In another mediium bowl, beat ogether the eggs, brown sugar, yogurt or buttermilk, molasses, and oil. Quickly whisk or fold the wet ingredients into the dry (this can be done with an elecric mixer on low speed). Fold in the raisins.
4. Scrape the batter into the pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a tester inserted in teh middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto the rack and let cool completely before slicing.

You can also make 12 muffins from this recipe, filling the cups three-quarters full and baking them for 20 to 25 minutes.

Great with a glass of milk or topped with a little plain yogurt or applesauce.
#7 of 13 Old 01-03-2006, 06:27 AM

If you like the taste of molasses, you could try the following. Make yourself a couple pieces of toast, smear with butter, smear with molasses on top. I know it sounds a little gross but really it's tasty. Germans over here use molasses as a spread, not a baking ingrediant--and now I know why!
#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2006, 12:16 AM

I love this recipe, and so has anyone with whom I have shared this.
It is especially delicious when topped with almond butter and honey. It is from www.epicurious.com, and is called WHOLE-WHEAT BRAN BREAD RISNEY-MANNING. Hopefully this link will work: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...ws/views/10334

Use wheat germ instead of wheat bran. It is much more nutritious. Mmm.. maybe I'll go make some now
#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2006, 01:06 PM

That sounds so delicious! I will definitely have to try that (as soon as our stove is delivered tomorrow).
#10 of 13 Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 AM

I eat oatmeal with apples, raisins and molasses many mornings. Very tasty and nutritious. The oatmeal and fruits are a great source of fibre in addition to the iron in the molasses.

Also, a previous poster mentioned replacing sugar with molasses. However, if you're using blackstrap I don't think it's nearly as sweet as other kinds of molasses. You might want to do half and half or something if you're going for sweetness.

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

#11 of 13 Old 01-08-2006, 10:23 AM

You could also cook everything you eat in cast iron pots & pans - the iron leaches. I always eat cream of wheat which has loads of iron & have oj with it - the vit C helps your body absorb the iron - my mw was always shocked that my iron levels were actually higher when I was pg than when I wasn't .

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#12 of 13 Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 AM

Thanks for all the recipes--my midwife just suggested I take 2-3 tbs of black strap molasses to help with iron and I'm getting tired of taking it straight. That bread recipe sounds great.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#13 of 13 Old 01-10-2006, 03:44 AM

Ooh, 2-3 tblspoons of blackstrap molasses in a nice cold glass of milk is my idea of a chocolate milk substitute.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page