30 week peri appointment update. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My peri appointment was very mixed. On the good side of the fence, baby is looking okay overall, still. On the bad side of the fence, the anemia is creeping higher. Today's MCA reading was 3 points away from the danger zone. Also, the baby's head is measuring 3 weeks ahead while his body is measuring 2 weeks ahead. There appeared to be some fluid collecting in the baby's head, which would be due to the anemia and could be the beginnings of hydrocephalus. However (back to the good side of the fence), there wasn't any excess fluid collecting around the baby's heart or lungs or other internal organs, so that was reassuring.

The peri said that the MCA reading (Middle Cerebral Artery ~ the rate of blood flow is measured in that artery and the reading corresponds with the level of anemia in the baby) has risen, on average, 4 points per week for the past 8 weeks. If it continues to rise at the same rate, there is significant chance that the baby will need to be delivered early, perhaps as early as 33-34 weeks. The peri tried to be encouraging, though, by telling me that the baby would probably do pretty well since he's big, and bigger preemies do better, typically, than little ones. He also pointed out that there comes a time when the baby would do better in NICU than in the womb, and reminded me that delivery wouldn't stop the anemia process since there'd still be my antibodies in the baby's bloodstream, so serial transfusions are most likely going to be necessary. I didn't feel reassured; I don't particularly want a baby spending several weeks in NICU, ya know? Baby is estimated to weigh 3lb,12oz right now (he's gained 1.5 pounds in the past month!), and the peri said we just need to hold on for as many more weeks as we can. He said there's still a chance I'll make it to my scheduled c-section date, but he thinks the odds are higher we'll have an earlier delivery. My prayer is that he's wrong and I go all the way to March 2nd. That's only 57 more days.....I really want to believe we'll get there!

Anyhow, that's where things stand right now. Bordering on "oh crap!" but not quite there yet. I did ask the peri if he thought we could skate along this border for the next 8 weeks and he said he'd be surprised, but it was possible, so that's what I'm hoping to do. But for now, it's back to the ol' "wait and see". Gotta tell you, while this has been a very easy pregnancy, physically-speaking, it has been horrible from a psychological point of view. I can't wrap my mind around the thought that I might deliver this baby in 3-4 weeks rather than 8, and I *really* hope that doesn't happen. One part of me wants this pregnancy over with, but another part of me wants to "go the distance", especially since this will have to be my last baby. And since I'm NOT having any big physical discomforts, I'm able to enjoy the pregnancy (aside from the mental turmoil), kwim? So I'm not in a big rush to be done, though I'd really like to know how it's all going to turn out.

I will keep everyone updated on how things are progressing. Hopefully I will be pregnant for many weeks to come!
#2 of 10 Old 01-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you are processing it and aren't sure what to make of it. I think it sounds good overall. Baby is okay, the bad signs they checked for (fluid around heart/lungs) were NOT there. Your baby is growing big and strong! Hope you can make it all the way, but if not, glad he's going to be in the good care of someone who has been monitoring him carefully! You and baby will be in our prayers.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 06:17 AM

Yes, definitely lighting a candle for light and love for you and baby to make it in your womb as long as is possible and best for ya both!

The power of positive thoughts and prayer is enormous and can help do amazing things. I think you will get lots from us!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 AM

I've been following your progress for a while now. I'm sorry to hear that the anemia is going up. So, what are they going to do for the hydrocephalus? Can they do anything in utero or do they have to wait until the baby is born? And my son was born at 31 weeks, so I'm rooting for you! Hoping to make it to 31 again here, myself.
#5 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 PM

I'm sorry you're experiencing so much mental and emotional trauma. It is so difficult to simply relax and find pleasure in your baby and pregnancy when you're playing such a difficult waiting game. It sounds like you got some good news and have a great perinatologist. I will pray for you and your family. Thank you for keeping us updated.

I seem to relate to people's experiences through my own personal experiences, so insted of deleting the following paragraph, I'm going to leave it and hope it helps:

I am having an emotionally difficult pregnancy too and find that with every move and jolt I get from the inside, I'm overwhelmed with a gratitude that my baby's in there and growing and is a gift for me to take care of. One thing I've learned through all of is that no matter if your child is sick or disabled or perfectly healthy, as mothers and fathers we love them all the same and that love's intense. And my mother reminded me that my baby needs that love more than she needs to worry about her. So, while it's incredibly difficult to not worry, I try to focus on the love and gratitude I have her new life.
#6 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Congratulations on making it to 30 wks.! That itself is, I think, something to celebrate.

You sound like you're coping really well with a very difficult situation. Good job, mama. It seems like all you can really do is make the best possible decision for your babe given whatever facts/circumstances you have at the moment. Right now it's best for him to remain in utero. At some point it'll be best for him to be born. You'll deal beautifully with each step as it comes, just as you have so far.

I'm holding you and your baby in my heart.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#7 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 PM

You're 30 weeks now , so the news that the baby can stay inside for at least a while longer is GREAT news. 32, then 34 weeks are _huge_ milestones to be celebrated, and you should feel confident that, at the baby's weight, an early delivery isn't dreadful news.

Did the doctors say there was fluid in the baby's head? I ask because my three sons have all had big heads...first the twins, now this one...they all have heads measuring AT LEAST one week ahead of schedule (2.5 weeks ahead by the end of the pregnancy), and abdomens that are "skinnier" than normal, at least one week behind. Bone measurments are also slightly ahead. As my peri told me at the 20 week appointment...we like to make them "long, lean, with big ol' heads." A head measurment that's one week ahead of body measurments might still be within the range of normal at this stage.

, , . You're doing a great job at handling all this. Give yourself a few days to process all the news of the appointment. Hopefully the rollercoaster feeling will taper off a little in the next few days.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#8 of 10 Old 01-05-2006, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinda
So, what are they going to do for the hydrocephalus? Can they do anything in utero or do they have to wait until the baby is born?
At this point, we don't know if the baby will end up with actual hydrocephalus or not. The peri said there was some accumulation of fluid and he showed it to me, but he said it might drain on its own instead of collecting further. That's what I meant when I said it might be the beginning of hydrocephalus. We don't know yet for sure. IF there is hydrocephalus at birth, my guess is that the baby might need a shunt. But that hasn't even come up in discussion with the peri, so I'm only speculating at this point.

The only treatment for the anemia in-utero would be transfusions, but there is a 6% risk of death from the procedure, and since we're over 30 weeks now, dh & I (and the peri) agree that we're not going to go that route at all. IF the anemia gets to the severe range, we'll opt for early delivery and treatment of the baby in NICU.

Thanks for rooting for me. I hope you make it waaaay past 31 weeks this time, too!
#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did the doctors say there was fluid in the baby's head?
Yes. It was collecting around the edges of the skull and was visible on the u/s.

The concern for the head size is because the baby's head *had* been measuring in proportion to his body (his head was 2 weeks' ahead, same as the body measurements, last month), but now has surged to being a full week ahead of the body measurements. That, along with the small amount of fluid seen on the u/s, is what has the peri a bit concerned.

Thanks for the support & encouragement, Elisabeth. I really appreciate it!
#10 of 10 Old 01-06-2006, 11:44 AM

Good luck with everything, I hope that baby stays inside for a lot longer!! It is good news that at least you are as far along as you are, your baby will have a good chance when delivered! I send you stable anemia vibes............and some fairy dust
Best of luck
Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page