What Diaper/Baby Bag are you getting? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this shouldn't be that hard, but I want a nice looking one that is practical. I am thinking practical is one like a backpack. But I don't like the rectangle ones or the brocade/oriental type fabric ones. I have googled baby bags and diaper bags, but haven't found much. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jen
#2 of 12 Old 01-04-2006, 11:39 PM

I just ordered one off of Lands End - they had three, I ordered the backpack. 99% of the time I'm happy with Lands End, so I figured it was a good bet.

Also, on babiesrus.com, they have quite the selection - I typed in "dad" in the search field to see what I could find for my husband, and it mostly came up with a bunch of diaper bags that weren't too babyish and pretty functional.
#3 of 12 Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 PM

I've never used one.
With my first I did order something diaperbag/backpacky from Land's end, but it was just too much for me.
I just toss everything into whatever bag I'm into at the time. I have my cloth diapering gear (waterproof bag for used ones, ziploc with wet wipes, clean cds, changing pad) but I've never felt like it all needed it's own home. My sling folds up small. I also have a first aid kit I carry everywhere with our top 8 remedies, etc. I've been lucky enough to just bf, so I never needed a cooler system or storage space for bottles.

I'd say that you shouldn't limit yourself to diaperbags. Just find a bag/backpack that you like (even better if it's washable). The rest of your stuff can be a la carte. Plus what you need or what you think you need will change over time.
#4 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 AM

This is the one I added to my registry: the Mac Sac Diaper Backpack by MacLaran.
http://www.babyant.com/bh023068.html
I'm not much for style, but this one looked very functional. I would also second the recommendation for Lands' End stuff.

The Urban Backpack from One Step Ahead looked good too:
http://www.onestepahead.com/jump.jsp...766&change=117
#5 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 12:55 PM

My SIL made me a beautiful diaper bag. I think is from a pattern that is specifically meant to be a diaper bag, but it just looks like a regular messenger-style bag and has lots of nice pockets. And it velcroes closed, which seems easier than a snap. I love it! SIL is the best, and she got ideas from me about what I would want it to look like, so it is orange corduroy outside with this terrific funky 70's looking print on the inside. Fully washable, of course. I want to start carrying it already instead of my regular bag, but I am waiting for the babe! She also very thoughtfully made DH his own, in grey and black, since the print on mine is rather feminine. If we're going somewhere together on an outing, DH will probably carry his instead of me.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 01:23 PM

I got mine from Babies R Us. It's black and is a back pack. It seems practical yet not sporty. It's not huge and and has the necessary comparments. I just can't remember the brand name and can't find it on Babies r Us via Amazon. The brand is some lady's name. It's middle sized, black, has some accesories like a mini wallet and cell phone holder. The front pocket folds down for changing diapers.

I wanted practical and versatile so I went with this one. I just wish I could send you a link.
#7 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM

I'm with melamama on this one. I bought some expensive model for my first dd and hated it. I thought I'd want all those little pockets and whatnot, but really I just wanted a pouch. Plus, the shoulder strap model was a PIA when she was little & I had to cart the carseat, diaper bag, my wallet, groceries, etc. I ended up selling it on Ebay (for more than I paid!) and using an old backpack of dh's. Still using that backpack & plan to continue with it.

FWIW, all the little pockets & ice pack cases, etc that a lot of them come with seem to be geared toward bottle feeding. We never really needed to keep anything cold, and once she started eating, I'd just throw in a banana or a small Rubbermaid cup of peas or something, so the "baby food" spaces didn't work for us,either. And the plastic changing mats they have just seem small & uncomfy to me. The ones that are attached to the bag can be a drag to clean if you get poop on them. It was nicer & easier to just use a few baby blankets as a changing pad, IMHO. Just my $.02
#8 of 12 Old 01-05-2006, 06:11 PM

I have more baby gear than most mothering folks, I'd guess, but even with my love of "stuff" and having twins, I didn't find a diaper bag all that useful. Even when we went travelling with the boys this summer, I left our diaper bag at home and used a cheap, three-compartment backpack. The only thing I found useful in a diaper bag was the changing pad, and you can buy those separately, or even better, find a towel/blanket you like and use that instead.

You'll only use the diaper bag for diapers, wipes, a few small toys, a change of clothes, a changing pad, maybe some snacks....all of that will very easily fit into a traditional backpack, and then you won't have to pay the crazy prices they charge for a "diaper backpack."

Still, it's a personal preference. My only suggestion about getting a diapering backpack is that you get one with neutral colors...my dh *really* didn't want to be carrying around something flowery or cutesy. We chose navy blue, and now we can use it for other things, too.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#9 of 12 Old 01-06-2006, 11:32 AM

I agree with the backpack vote. I have had many diaper bags and hated all of them, now I just use a small backpack I bought at the Mountain Equipment Co-op and I love it. It is light green and compact and has good sized pockets, by far the best purchase I have made as far as diaper bags go.
Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010
#10 of 12 Old 01-06-2006, 12:18 PM

We bought a canvas rucksack and use that. All our "diaper bags" went the way of freecycle because we hated them. Mine has a moderately sized main compartment, 2 side pockets and a front pocket. It uses either a drawstring or a zipper on the side to access. Best 5 I ever spent (clearance rack)
#11 of 12 Old 01-06-2006, 04:23 PM

We have registered for this Columbia diaper-bag at Babies R Us, because it looked big enough to hold the bulkier cloth-diapering essentials, change of clothes, etc. AND was "sporty" enough that DH wouldn't feel weird carrying it.

I am still looking to find a smaller, daypack-style bag that would do for short outings . . . but since we do a lot of camping in the summertime, and have out-of-town family that we will be visiting for weekend trips, I figured a large bag would be a good option for us.

I thought about just using one of our regular backpacks (I still have the Eddie Bauer one that took me through University many years ago), but the bag isn't waterproofed like a diaper bag, and I would be worrying about leaks all the time because of carrying around dirty cloth dipes. I think for our daypack bag I may just order a wetsack and use it to line a small backpack.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the options on the Columbia bag (like the small pocket, specially marked with a pacifier so you won't forget what is in there!, but it seems like the best that was available when we were looking.
#12 of 12 Old 01-06-2006, 05:40 PM

(I hope y'all don't mind the intrusion -- I keep thinking the baby's coming in March so I sort of peek in here from time to time).

That said, this week I ordered the Land's End backpack diaper bag and am getting a Vera Bradley backpack for quick trips. (It's a bday gift from my mom hooray!)

I far prefer backpacks to over-the-shoulder style purses to begin with, as they're gentler on my back, plus I think it'll be easier when wearing the baby in front, etc.

My SIL is the opposite -- she's all about style > function. I guess it's whatever you're most comfy with, honestly.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page