Swelling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-04-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is a little bit of swelling normal? I think it is. I just don't know when it signals a problem. I think my ankles are swollen, but I spent a lot of time on my feet today. Like someone else said - sitting kills my pelvis and back, but standing hurts my feet - can't win!!

Anyone else with any swelling? Please say yes.
#2 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 AM

Towards the end of my last pgs I would get swollen around the ankles (and SOOO achy) if I did too much standing/walking.
It hasn't happened yet for me this time though-so far I just have that inner thigh pain, and I NEED to be able to sit on my exercise ball.

but I think some swelling is normal. maybe it's a more water thing (seems like everything is a "drink more water" thing)
#3 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 AM

Swelling can be a sign of pre-eclampsia, but usually it's just normal fluid retention. When I was pregnant with DS, my blood pressure was always in the normal range (I have quite low blood pressure normally), and I had so much swelling in my ankles toward the end of my pregnancy that I only had one pair of slip-on sandals that fit me. Try to drink a lot of water and keep your feet up as much as you can. Buy more shoes!!

My ankles are still looking pretty normal, but I'm expecting that to change any day now.
#4 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 07:29 AM

Pre-eclampsia usually they say that swelling in the face is more of a worry sign, if i remember right... if you are swelling elsewhere (like ankles) you can get those circulation socks to help some.. and you can add more salt to your diet to help the body process fluids out of your system. (salt to taste they usually, say, but I never salt, so that wouldn't work for me.. so i just try to remember to add some a couple times a week.)

I don't think I've ever had swelling, but I tend to be good at switching from standing /sitting/ to laying down throughout the day so I guess it just doesn't collect in one spot? no idea on that one.. hmm.. I can imagine swelling in the ankles is no fun though.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#5 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 AM

I didn't think I was having any swelling (rings fit fine, etc.), but yesterday when I took off my socks I noticed elastic digs in the ankle! Also some varicose veins. I have been painting all day, though, with no shoes on, and I'm not uncomfortable, so I'm not really worried.
#6 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

That's exactly what happened to me, I took off my socks and there was a line there and swollen on either side. It seems to have gone down a bit. I guess I should just put my feet up more
#7 of 14 Old 01-05-2006, 06:18 PM

You're totally normal!

I had pretty bad ankle swelling with the twins (starting at 25 weeks or so)...I worked a desk job, and by the end of the day my feet looked like giant's feet, my shoes and socks left marks, ugh! The first thing I did when I came home was lay down on the couch and put my feet up on some pillows.

This time (32 weeks) the swelling is just starting. If I wear tight socks, I notice marks.

If the marks go away after a few hours, and if you wake up with normal-looking feet, I wouldn't worry about pre-eclampsia. Swelling just happens to some pregnant women.

(oh, and ....just wait until after the baby is born and you LOSE all the fluid. For a while it feels like you're peeing out enough to fill a fish tank.)

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#8 of 14 Old 01-06-2006, 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=RedOakMomma]You're totally normal!

If the marks go away after a few hours, and if you wake up with normal-looking feet, I wouldn't worry about pre-eclampsia. Swelling just happens to some pregnant women.
[QUOTE]

That's how I feel. If I've had a busy day then my feet and ankles are swollen by the end but as long as everything is okay when I wake up then I figure it is all right.

Other signs of troublesome swelling is if your calfs are swollen and if you push on it and a finger indention stays there, your skin doesn't bounce right back.
#9 of 14 Old 01-10-2006, 07:52 PM

It is a relief to hear this from you mamas= I just noticed some serious swelling especially in my right foot last night, and it had me a little upset. Glad to see we are all on the same track here - I feel reassured, if puffy.
#10 of 14 Old 01-11-2006, 01:19 AM

A little puffy here too.
I still think it was worse last PG, but there's still time. I sit and stand a lot at work. The swelling doesn't change much until I sleep or walk. Walking helps a little.
#11 of 14 Old 01-11-2006, 09:14 AM

I'm mosly annoyed that I'm outgrowing all my PANTS!! Grrr.
#12 of 14 Old 01-11-2006, 11:48 AM

Righto. I ain't buying any more pants, so I might have to wear a muumuu by the end of this month. Got one pair of jeans and one pair of yoga pants I can get into. Vanity isn't everything
#13 of 14 Old 01-11-2006, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

My husband finally saw a pair of maternity pants on me - without a shirt covering the panel and he looked all confused - he says "Why are you wearing your pants so high?" He thought I was being FUNNY pulling my pants up to my boobs!
#14 of 14 Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM

some women swell. i had lots of patients when i worked postpartum that had swelling while pregnancy and no pre-eclampsia. facial swelling is more of a sign of pre-e. elevate your feet after a long day of being on them. if you have any signs of pre-e such as headache, blurred vision or epigastric/abdominal pain, increased blood pressure, etc, then call your doc or midwife. otherwise, swelling just happens to some women.

if it is really bad and you have access to a swimming pool, jump in there for awhile. it helps to get the fluid out for some reason. bathtubs usually don't have the same effect. if you like watermelon, try eating some.
also, if you have it during pregnancy, don't be surprised to be more swollen after baby is born! just drink lots of water. elevate your feet for awhile after being on them all day. it can take a few weeks to get rid of all the excess fluid/blood your body made to support baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page