Ordered my birth kit! And a question... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I ordered my birth kit this afternoon! Woohoo! It's really getting close. I could go anytime in February or early March, realistically, so I figured I'd better have it here just in case. I need to get myself a fishy pool too, and a hose, and a tarp...

Also, I had a question for BTDT homebirthers: did you pack a "just-in-case-of-hospital-transfer" bag? I can't decide if I should or not. I really don't feel like I am going to need it, I am completely at ease with my HB plans and I really think everything is going to be totally uneventful. But if I do end up needing one for some reason, it would be less stressful to just grab it and go...but I don't want to bring negative vibes into my house abotu the birth, KWIM? Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

It's getting so close!
#2 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 01:00 AM

I didn't. I don't live my life "just in case" so honestly it never even occurred to me.

I won't pack one this time either. If an emergency happens, someone will be able to pack up what I'll need after the fact.
#3 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 02:12 AM

We got our pool from Quality Inflatables. They have great prices.
#4 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 02:18 AM

I had to transfer to the hospital during my attempt at a homebirth and did not have a bag packed. DH, MW's assistants, and a friend who was attending grabbed a few essentials as we headed out the door. Then, once DS was born, my hubby ran home once each day to take care of pets anyway and he just got stuff we needed on those trips. I agree about not packing and having that negative energy. Just assume you're going to have a successful homebirth!
#5 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Just donfirming to me that it doesn't feel right to pack a hospital bag. Not planning on going to the hospital! No hospital, no bag.
#6 of 13 Old 01-07-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples
Well, I ordered my birth kit this afternoon! .
Do you mind me asking what did you order for your kit? I am doing a UC for this pregnancy ( had dd at a birth center). I have looked a a few websites that sell bith kits but I have not ordered anything yet.
Thanks
sara mom to Sofia and due with#2 on March 26
#7 of 13 Old 01-08-2006, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered it from www.midwifesupplies.com - my MW has a kit under her name on the site with everything she likes to have already prepackaged. I didn't look too closely, to tell the truth...
#8 of 13 Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 AM

I didn't pack a bag last time, and won't this time either. Doing so would just seem wrong somehow.
#9 of 13 Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 PM

haven't packed a bag before and wouldn't this time.

like one of the above posters said---it didn't even occur to me. I don't keep a bag around during my regular life in case we need to go to the er, so I wouldn't now either.

for sofysmommy: I ordered my birth kit by my mws name also, but it came today so I'll list what was in it: l&d summary form, chux, 2 straws, gloves, sanitary pads, gauze sponges, peri bottle, bulb syringe, herbal sitz bath, digital thermometer, paper tape measure, cord clamp, cord tape, alcohol prep pads, periclens, lansinoh, arnica massage oil, Weleda diaper care cream, mothers milk nursing tea
it was from http://birthsupplies.com/
#10 of 13 Old 01-11-2006, 11:10 AM

thanks Melamama
I am planning a uc birth and I am trying to figure out what I need/want.I actually do not "need" an actual birth kit but i just want to get a few things just to make me comfortable. thanks for the link too Mrs Dimples.
#11 of 13 Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 AM

I'm getting my birthkit from inhishands.com. Actually going to get it right now.
#12 of 13 Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 PM

For my UC I bought: A digital baby weight scale and sling to put baby in for the scale, an eldon blood typing card (i am RH -, Dh is +), a box of Emergen'C (for labor-aid, might freeze a few into ice cubes to suck on too..), and an old cotton pouch in case I need to put baby in there and use my arms for something after the birth (would be likely if UC ends up being solo with just my son here)... a peri bottle for after care, some extra cloth pads for PPbleeding.

Things I have already:
I also have an old soft blanket and 4-6 big & thick old towels to layer on the floor for a birth nest, in case I decide to push on the floor or on a bed, really, either way. Still have lots of receiving blankets / flannel squares from my son's newborn days for the quick wipe ups needed, wrapping of baby if necessary, between my legs, etc... and a plastic pitcher & glass for my water/fluid needs (so i don't have to deal with broken glass if it accidentally falls or my son knocks it over), a bowl for the placenta, candles and lighter (my animal brain prefers muted light). Having a lotus birth, so no need for tie offs/clamps or scissors.

HTH!

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#13 of 13 Old 01-11-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofysmommy
thanks Melamama
I am planning a uc birth and I am trying to figure out what I need/want.I actually do not "need" an actual birth kit but i just want to get a few things just to make me comfortable. thanks for the link too Mrs Dimples.
Each birth we've had quite a bit left over from the birth kit. I think my mw just thinks about everything she needs under multiple circumstances--and expecting that you have none of those things in your house. If I was doing an uc I would probably not get an actual birth kit either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page