Breastfeeding books/items? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What breastfeeding books do you have or plan to get?

I don't have any (gasp) right at the moment. I do have a few that I am planning on picking up, and a few more that I'm gonna get from the library before I decide if I need to buy them or not.

What breastfeeding items did you find useful?

I'm going to get a boppy (my 4 y/o refuses to give hers up ) and I regestered for a nursing stool because it seemed to have really good reviews, although I'm feeling kind of funny about having nursing "stuff".

My 4 y/o and I only made it to 8 weeks breastfeeding due mostly to a horrible latch, bad LCs, and horrible supplementing advice. So I'm wanting to be 100% prepared this time. It does help that my current husband is VERY supportive, he's the type that would dump formula if he saw me trying to use it

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 08:46 AM

Well, this website is a life saver... http://www.kellymom.com

and I think I got the Breastfeeding Companion book, but I don't remember now. I found kellymom much more resourceful and there were great pictures of what a good latch looks like, etc there.

I would love to get a nursing rocker.. not sure we could afford the over $1000 it costs though. If it reclines though, I may just look into it, LOL. I spent the first 3 months in the recliner but found it not quite right for arm rest height etc...

www.freshmums.com has nice nursing shirts. Lansinoh is great too. I also have a milk collector taht fits over the non-nursed upon nipple and catches let-down which you can then put into a bag or give to baby later or freeze it or toss it, etc.

Wow, can't remember if i used anything else.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#3 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the lanolin irritated my nips, I've heard others say that too - though it works for some. Someone recently told me about EMAB nipple cream (Earth Mama Angel Baby) but I haven't tried it yet - I plan on getting some.

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is good & I have Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, though, as the title implies, it's aimed at toddler nursing.

The nipple shield saved my nursing relationship with Dd2 - Target has them for $5, made by Medela I think.

My best advice would be to go on a big LC Search! Find one *now* that you like. Ask around & find out who other mama's have liked. Call LLL & ask for a few names in your area & do interviews preferably in person. Once you start having problems, it goes down hill quickly, so having someone lined up already would be helpful.

Good luck!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 AM

I made an appointment with a lactation consultant at 35 weeks just to be sure I had a basic idea beforehand. I'm sure talking about it and reading about it isn't the same as doing it, but at least its a head start.

I have the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, but I don't like it very much. Its just ok - not very "cookbook" and not a lot of good pictures, which I feel like I need right now.
#5 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM

I really didn't have anything. I'm too round for a boppy to be anything other than an annoyance and too poor to justify the cost of any 'extra' stuff.

I do recommend finding a LC you like now, knwing there is somebody you can call when you need help is invaluable. I had a bit of lanolin on hand but never really used it. I know many women find it helpful to attend LLL meetings in their area beforehand so that they can discuss any concerns they may have.
#6 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 03:02 PM

Have you been to LLL meetings?
#7 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 03:07 PM

LLL meetings ahead of time are good -

Finding a good LC now might be worth it as well (I have heard a lot of stories lately online about people getting really crap advice, even from IBCLCs...they are not all equal!) -

Lansinoh is a good idea, although if you are needing to slather it on every single feeding then you might want to see someone anyway -

I would wait on a nipple shield if I were you...again, if you need one it's best to use it under supervision and they're easy to get from an LC or at Target, like a PP said -

My personal favorite book is The Ultimate BF Book of Answers by Dr. Jack Newman, especially if you had problems last time. VERY empowering and straightforward -

www.kellymom.com has ALL the answers, lol -
#8 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples

My personal favorite book is The Ultimate BF Book of Answers by Dr. Jack Newman, especially if you had problems last time. VERY empowering and straightforward -

I second that one.. I think he has an online site as well with videos and everything.. even a DVD I think....

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#9 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Kam

I found that having a supportive, comfortable, easy to clean chair all set up for nursing around the clock was the key ingredient. The first two weeks, I nursed while sitting cross-legged on the floor (in Japan) and it really hurt my back. Once that Dutalier glider and stool came, I was in heaven and nursing was so comfortable. This time I plan to add a little chair-side table, too, for a drink, burp cloths, stereo remote, etc. Make it your oasis and the constant nursing will be much more pleasant.

The My Breast Friend nursing pillow was great in the beginning, too, for a good position and less shoulder strain, but may be a bit cumbersome for some mamas.

Make sure you know ahead of time what to do when your milk comes in and if you get painful engorgement. There are boobie-shaped gel packs that work well--you only need one.

Kellymom.com rocks.

Good luck! I found nursing to be one of the most wonderful aspects of parenting a little baby.

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
#10 of 22 Old 01-07-2006, 11:14 PM

www.kellymom.com was a real live saver for me and also going to LLL online meetings ( I was hibernating at the time)
#11 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 PM

The lactation consultant who works with my OB practice teams up with the staff massage therapist once a month or so to offer a one-evening class on breastfeeding and infant massage. DH and I are going to one in a few weeks. It's a very minimal cost, and I think it'll be very good for us both to go and for him to get familiar with nursing terms and procedures--should help make it "our" thing instead of just "my" thing. Also, then I will already know the lc, and should be comfortable calling her in if I need to after the birth.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#12 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Dimples

I'll third this comment. Kellymom is my all-time favorite resource overall, and Newman is my favorite book. DON'T get Eiger's Complete Book of Breastfeeding; it's not only incomplete, there's some downright bad advice in there.

Everyone's experience/needs are different, of course, but here are the things that came in most handy for me w/ DS:
Lansinoh nursing pads
Lansinioh nipple cream
Bravado nursing bras
Boppy pillow
Comfy rocker w/ footstool & a small table on each side to hold my stuff (beverage, book, radio, whatever)
Medela PIS (indispensible when I went back to WOH, but also very useful when I was on maternity leave--helped ramp up my production & make a supply of EBM, also really helped when I got mastitis/clogged ducts)

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#13 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM

I think the Nursing Mother's Companion is good also.

I agree that it's good to go to a LLL meeting before you have the baby.

I'd also get --in addition to a comfy nursing bra like a Bravado--something stretchy that you can wear at night. When my milk came in and I had a LOT of leaking I needed a nighttime bra that would hold the nursing pads in.
#14 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 07:57 PM

Any recommendations for washable nursing pads? Are wool ones worth it? What other materials would you suggest?

I forget what I used last time, but they were disposable ones.

~Angela
#15 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM

I just folded up an infant prefold and shoved it in a sports bra for a nursing pad. (Bad I know) you can also make them out of old flannel blankets if you want.
#16 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliD
Any recommendations for washable nursing pads? Are wool ones worth it? What other materials would you suggest?

I forget what I used last time, but they were disposable ones.

~Angela
If you can sew try cotton flannel fabric, or you could buy from Whams.I have the Lansinoh washable pads, and really like them.
#17 of 22 Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 PM

I got "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from my mom for Christmas - even though I had asked for The Breastfeeding Book by the Sears'. I've read some of it, seems informative, but sometimes more like an ad for bfing than a book to help you so far.

I am attending a small group seminar with a LC next week, and plan to make use of the LCs at the hospital.

I wish the LLL meetings in my area were in the evenings- I am working up till birth, so I won't be able to go before. Do people bring their babies to LLL meetings? (I know very little about the meetings)

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#18 of 22 Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Yes, bring your baby to the LLL meeting especially if you want to ask about the latch or something that would help if the leader can see you nurse. Nursing babies, toddlers, and children are always welcome!

It also is a great way to start out nursing in public. In a room full of other breastfeeding mothers, many new moms feel much more comfortable and it is an easy, slow start.
#19 of 22 Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM

I also love the Jack Newman book. My other favorite is "So That's What They're For!" by Janet Tamaro (?- having a pg induced brain lapse).
I also love kellymom.com. There are (very well researched!) answers to just about every situation there.

So far as the boppy, many women buy it because "everyone" says you need one. Over the years I have seen that it does not work for many women. If you are long-waisted it positions the baby too low. If you are short-waisted it positions the baby too high. If you are a little fluffy around the middle (as most women are immediately post-partum!) then the pillow keeps sliding away, letting baby slip down in the gap between mom and pillow. I much prefer the My Breast Friend or the Nurse EZ because they can be strapped in place around the waist. However, they still don't work well for many short-waisted women.

For washable nursing pads, I like Kushies 100% cotton because they are large and don't shrink to the size of a quarter after washing! I have not tried wool yet. For disposable pads, I like Lansinoh brand.

I also agree with the others that suggested setting up a nursing station (or two or three). I made up a basket with magazines, nursing pads, burp cloth, snacks, etc. I also made sure to grab the phone and a glass of water before I sat down to nurse. Sitting down to nurse always makes me thirsty and makes the phone ring. (Disclaimer - don't expect to be able to nurse while reading a book, talking on the phone, etc. until you get the hang of things.)

I love my glider and nursing stool!

I highly, highly recommend getting all the info on bf'ing that you can *before* the baby comes. Call and interview LC's and other breastfeeding supporters on your area now. Look for an IBCLC. Keep in mind however, that just like there are poor dr's, nurses, midwives, LLL groups, etc., there can also be poorly trained IBCLC's. Don't be afraid to ask how much experience they have and how they trained. In my area, IBCLC's who received the majority of their training while working as L&D or post-partum nurses seem to not have much expereince helping with issues that occur after the first 2-3 days. Look for someone with varied experience who keeps current on issues. I would also highly recommend interviewing pediatricians or family dr's ahread of time to find out what their views are on bf'ing and who they refer to for bf difficulties.

Hoping for a smooth, easy start to breastfeeding for all of us!
#20 of 22 Old 01-11-2006, 01:31 PM

Boppy is also a company that does not support breastfeeding. If you are going to buy a pillow for breastfeeding, then pick a WAHM or some other company who does support breastfeeding.
#21 of 22 Old 01-11-2006, 02:24 PM

I registered for a My Breast Friend nursing pillow, because of the Boppy Boycott and because the MBF looks a little more practical (has a strap to fasten it to your body so that it doesn't slide away, and a pouch to hold little things like snacks).

I also put the Earth Mama, Angel Baby breastfeeding support kit on my registry.

We will be getting a glider from a friend who doesn't need it anymore.

As far as books, I have a few (Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, Bestfeeding, The Everything Breastfeeding Book), but still want to collect more. I've read Janet Tamaro's book, and the Sears book, and the tandem nursing book . . . maybe I should do some browsing on Ebay and see what they have.

I'm also planning on going to at least one LLL meeting before the birth, and have been toying with the idea of taking a breastfeeding class as well.

Fortunately for me, my mother breastfed both of her babies, and my best friend (who breastfed her son until almost 2) will be coming for a few days after the birth to help out--so I should have good resources around.
#22 of 22 Old 01-11-2006, 08:56 PM

I am going to give a plug for a great breastfeeding clothes, bras, etc website: breastchester.com She is a breastfeeding counselor, and breastfed both of her kids for 2 years.
Another resource I have is my sis who also breastfed her children for 2 years. She recommends the book "Breastfeeding Made Simple", and to use the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" as a resource-she doesn't love it either. She loved her My Breastfriend. And I plan to go to at least 2 LLL meetings before the baby is born. They can refer you to LC's. Also I have been told to take a breastfeeding class, w/your DH so he knows what you are going thru and can be even more supportive.
Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page