I don't really think 27 is old, but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man this was a lot easier at 20.

I really wanted several more kids, but if being pregnant keeps getting harder and harder, I don't think I can do it

First there was the fatigue and morning sickness, and almost immediately not fitting in my clothes (with my second I wore my regular clothes until the 6 month), and I already can hardly stand up, roll over, get out of bed and there are still two months to go. AGGHHHHHH!

Then yesterday morning, I woke up and streched and got a leg cramp. I have never had anything like that in my life.

I think pregnancy is for 20 year olds.
#2 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 AM

LOL. I've been thinking the same thing. I'm wondering what I was thinking all those years when I shook my head at my cousins having their babies at 19 and 20 and deciding they were done by 24. Although, I hear that 27 is much easier than 34 which was when my stepmom had my baby sister (now 11) I hope to be done by then but who really knows?
#3 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 12:53 AM

this is my first pregnancy; i'm 36. I'm planning to have a few more well into my 40's. it's been a fun ride so far... it's all about your mindset and attitude.
i hope you can enjoy parts of it and not have too tough of a time.
cheers.
#4 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 12:59 AM

I'm right there with you. I didn't think 24 was old until I got pregnant again! This was SO much eaiser at 20! I feel like an old lady. My 80 year old grandmother got up off the floor faster than me the other day (and she has two bad hips and a bad knee!)

I've got almost three months left, and I just don't think my body is going to hold out that long!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#5 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 AM

[QUOTE=Daisie125]My 80 year old grandmother got up off the floor faster than me the other day (and she has two bad hips and a bad knee!)
QUOTE]

Do you think it's about age or just the number of times you've been pregnant? I had the twins at 25, and now I'm 29...Physically I'm in the same shape, but this pregnancy is a little achier than the last one. I think, with subsequent pregnancies, your body stretches out and settles into "late pregnancy mode" faster than before...ligaments are more stretched out, skin has more "give" , your spine and pelvis are ready and willing to flex in bizarre ways...I get the feeling my body is just a little beat up from last time, and so this time it's *itching about it more.

I dunno, though...the best people to ask would be those that had kids later or those that have had more than two....was the second one harder? Does it get even "harder" after that?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#6 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Does it get even "harder" after that?
I don't think I wanna know the answer to that!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#7 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 05:57 AM

How interesting! This pregnancy has been much easier on me physically. I guess because I started chiro about a year after my boy was born and got that straightened out that my body is better able to hold everything in a good place...

speaking of chiro, I need to go in for a 3rd tri adjustment, heheheh.

Mum to DS (8yrs), DD (6yrs), and DS(3.5yrs). kid.gif

#8 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Definitely harder! I turned 23 just a few weeks before I had Dd1 - that pg was a breeze! I mean, I had horrible m/s & some brutal heatrburn, but nothing major - and I didn't own a single piece of maternity clothing!? How I managed THAT, I'll never know.
Dd2 I turned 26 when she was 4 days old, hers wasn't too much different, although it did feel like she was falling out of me much, much earlier!

Now *this* one.....perhaps it's the boy causing trouble, but what a PITA this pg has been! I'll be 29 in a week or so, hard to say if it's the age thing or what - personally, I think our bodies just get all lax, BUT, I have to say this, the labors DO get easier - at least in my case!!

As for the chiropractic - it makes all the diference in the world!!! I have been getting adjusted regularly since Dd1 was born & Dd2 practically fell out of me. My children get adjusted once a month from about their 3rd day of life. When I'm pg I go every week or every other week if I've been feeling good.
It's never too late to start going - I talked my friend into going to my chiro days before her due date & she went. My chiro said her pelvis was all out of whack - she had her baby boy a day or two later & her labor was only a few hours long! It also provides the only relief for me from sciatica during pg.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#9 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

My first pregnancies were at 20 and 21/22, and they were both easy ( although I agree that the labor was much easier the second time).

No morning sickness, I love to run and did until almost third trimester with both (this time by about the 5th week I could hardly make it a mile)- the biggest complaint I had then was I get terrible acne during pregnancy. I thought I was one of those women who breezed through pregnancy

My plan was to have another couple kids now and then wait another 5-10 years and have two more, but I don't think I can do this again in 10 years.

I keep telling my self maybe the differences is that this one is a girl, but I really think it is because it is 7 years and two pregnancies later.
#10 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
Do you think it's about age or just the number of times you've been pregnant?
I think you may be on to something there...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#11 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM

This is my first time and I'm 35! I just wonder what it would have been like at 20 or 26.

I do understand about getting up from the floor! I got down on the poarch and almost screamed for DH to come get me up today! :LOL
#12 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 09:30 PM

Well, this is my second and I am 32. My mother, who had her first at 21, was questioning why I was SOOO big! She actually asked if I was having twins (not very tactful, I didn't think). She wasn't even wearing maternity clothes at 6 months pg, yadda, yadda. Thanks, mom. Of course, she was 21 and the baby was only 6 lbs (my first was 9-2) so I took it all with a grain of salt. I would have loved to have my kids in my 20s but my life just didn't go that way. But yes, ladies, our bodies don't last forever. I think things have slowly gotten more "lax" since I graduated from college! Have faith....we will make it through! Even our "old" (and some of you are still very, very young ) bodies have the wisdom to carry & birth these babies.
#13 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 10:31 PM

The first 2 were no big deal. This one has been much harder. It doesn't help that I've looked VERY pg since about 10 weeks this time. (Must be that lax body, LOL) This baby has settled into my pelvis much earlier than the last 2 which has created all kinds of new discomforts. Then there are the TWO toddlers I have at home, running amok and taking a lot of energy. That could have something to do with it too.

I get stuck on the bed, couch, floor, if I try to getsomething out of a low shelf anywhere. DH finds this all highly amusing. I told him HE could be pregnant next time. That quieted him down.
#14 of 31 Old 01-08-2006, 11:08 PM

My second pregnancy was a LOT easier than my first but I'm not sure why.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#15 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM

I'm laughin', too!

37 yrs. old here and PG w/ #2. Had #1 at 34, so I have NO idea what it's like to have a baby young.

PG has been a challenge for me, both mentally and physically (both times). But isn't it for everyone?

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#16 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 01:07 PM

I'm 27 and the only major complaint I have is my occasional hip pains. The getting up off the floor isn't TOO bad yet for me... I guess everyone is different...

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#17 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 04:21 PM

well, i just turned 37, and i am on #3, so there ya go! i had my first at 30,and 2nd at 33. one dr i saw when i first got pregnant used the phrase "advanced maternal age" lol. actually tried to talk me into an amnio 3 times with no discussion of the possible problems, ie miscarraige. needless to say, i didn't stay there very long!
#18 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 04:55 PM

Well, I'm 32 and this is my first. I have had a beautiful pregnancy! No morning sickness, no real trouble sleeping, really none of the major everyday complaints. So I think 32 is the PERFECT time for pregnancy!

I have had constipation, and am just now getting some leg cramps and having a harder time getting up and down. But I think that's normal at this phase.

I know some "youngsters" that have had TERRIBLE morning sickness,aches and pains, etc. so I think it all depends on the person!
#19 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 05:05 PM

I've been wondering the same thing about sleep. My friends who had babies when they were younger seemed to be getting by with just an extra hour or two, but I seriously need 11-12 hours every single night to function okay. Another first time mama who is a little older than me said she was the same way. I'm not that old--I'll turn 30 a couple months after baby is here--but I'm not 22 anymore!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#20 of 31 Old 01-09-2006, 05:19 PM

LOL...I'm 33, and this is my 8th. DH says I say I'm too old for this during all my pregnanciesROTFL I think it's jsut harder keeping up with everyone's activities as I get bigger and Hunter's no longer happy in the sling once we get where we're going, so it's a matter of keeping up with him and keeping track of all the other ones when I'm by myself!LOL

For the physical stuff, I always have hip issues and it seems about the same regardless of # of pregnancies, the heartburn is more and the no sleep is hard, but I have always had a nursling during pregnancy, so that's jsut a given. of course once I get them to sleep, I'm wide awake for hoursLOL
#21 of 31 Old 01-10-2006, 03:07 AM

I have had fairly easy pregnancies both times, but I definitely feel better this time at 27 (instead of 25). For me, I think it's being a SAHM instead of working in an office. All that sitting really made it harder last time.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
#22 of 31 Old 01-10-2006, 10:23 AM

I just turned 28. Not too bad so far, although the past 2 weeks my back really feels like a very old lady. Last night I tried to roll over off my back and the top half of me went one way and the bottom half stayed put. I think I totally sprained something. It just felt like the joints disconnected and boy did it hurt. I truly hope I feel like old self again at some point!! I can't imagine doing this with other kids to take care of. I don't know how you mamas do it.
#23 of 31 Old 01-10-2006, 11:46 AM

Dropping in from April...

I'm 27 and pregnant with #4. I had my first just after turning 21, my second a month after my 23rd birthday and my 3rd at 25.

I think all my pregnancies have been pretty much the same to some degree. Some have been harder in one way, but easier in another.

One things for sure, labor and giving birth become way easier (not with age) but with the number of babies we have had. My first labor was 36 hours, my second 6 hours and my third 1h15mins! Oh yeah,...but the afterpains are worst.
#24 of 31 Old 01-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh
I've been wondering the same thing about sleep. My friends who had babies when they were younger seemed to be getting by with just an extra hour or two, but I seriously need 11-12 hours every single night to function okay.
Granted, there's only four years between my two pregnancies (25 and 29 years), but this time I find myself needing much less sleep. Last time I was sleeping for 10+ hours and also taking a daily nap. This time I'm a night owl. 'Course...last time it was twins. Guess I'm not the best scientific study!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#25 of 31 Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 PM

I was 29 when ds was born, and I'll be turning 32 right around the time the new baby is due. I had more fatigue in the beginning with this pg, but otherwise, I've felt great. I have less heartburn... due to a better overall diet, I think. I haven't had the leg cramps or as much hip pain as I did with the last pg either (thanks, bellydancing!). I also weighed 35 lbs. less starting out this pg than I did the last one, so I think that's a factor! I'm nearly 33 weeks, and am not really all that uncomfortable yet. So, I don't think it's just a matter of age.

But, on a side note, I noticed today that I seem to have a plethora of facial hair. Where oh where did these sideburns come from??? With ds, and even after giving birth, I didn't even have to wax at all (compared to pre-pregnancy). Now I don't dare pull my hair back, or I'm afraid I'll look like Wolverine.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#26 of 31 Old 01-11-2006, 04:30 AM

I was 19 when DS1 was born, 21 with DS2 and I'm 23 now with #3. First pregnancy was definately harder but I had a desk job and diet was not all that great. Now I can't help getting exercise running after the little ones. But the late-pregnancy pains have come on sooner each time, maybe because they've been so close together my body hasn't had time to get back to normal? (or some degree of "normal" because pregnancy leaves it's mark). My labors have been 6 hours (induced, highly managed birth though) and 4 hours (natural with help from the red raspberry leaf tea). Which btw I credit the RRL tea for taking care of the afterpains with #2 - I had NONE even though I had them with #1. Guess I'm still pretty young to really say either way if age has anything to do with it. I've always known I wanted to start a family young so I would have the energy to keep up with the kids (some older ladies have more spunk than I ever have though!), but being young with children has it's own set of challenges. Like most of the people I grew up with are in the college scene and think I'm nuts for wanting children now, some strangers assume I'm a mother because I was an irresponsible teen and act condescendingly, I'm mistaken for being the older sister lol.....anyway pardon my rambling down my rabbit trail.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#27 of 31 Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
But, on a side note, I noticed today that I seem to have a plethora of facial hair. Where oh where did these sideburns come from??? With ds, and even after giving birth, I didn't even have to wax at all (compared to pre-pregnancy). Now I don't dare pull my hair back, or I'm afraid I'll look like Wolverine.
Very cute. Enjoy your hirsute beauty! You'll lose it all after birth, right??

I am almost 32, here, with my first. I really don't feel very fatigued. This is WAY easier than my first year of teaching!!!

I've been getting about 6 hours of sleep a night, with an occasional few extra winks on the weekends. Last night we didn't get to bed until 12:30, then I got up at 5. What is this, training for parenthood??

Our plush recliner was delivered yesterday. I sat down in it and immediately thought, "Oh, yeah, I could sleep in this!" Probably will.
#28 of 31 Old 01-11-2006, 11:05 AM

Dropping in also from April...

I had my first at 28 and for this one I will be 31. I was a little more fatigued first trimester this time, despite having an easier job than last time, but I think that's mostly because DS doesn't let me get extra sleep, LOL. But otherwise I've felt pretty much the same and if anything better this time since I know what works for me. In both cases I was in good physical shape and exercising regularly prior to becoming pregnant and continuing some form of exercise throughout pregnancy which I think has helped a lot. This time I also tried to time it so I wouldn't be heavily pregnant in the summer since I think heat bothers me more than anything else.
#29 of 31 Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 AM

Hi Jumping in from the April due date group. I had my first at 16 and I'm 41
and due with baby #5. Somethings were easier with my oldest weight gain and losing it after the baby 2weeks later I was back to my pre-preg size. I was sick a lot with 1 & 2(27)and just nasaues(sp) with 3,4,5. Heartburn with 2-5. This is my last pregancy so I'm trying to enjoy it since I'll never feel a baby inside me again. What I'm not looking forward to is the afterpains because they get worse but I saw on another fourm I'm on ways to deal with that so I'm going to try that.

Allison
Mom to 4 daughters and a? due end of April
#30 of 31 Old 01-11-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Our plush recliner was delivered yesterday. I sat down in it and immediately thought, "Oh, yeah, I could sleep in this!" Probably will.
If that is the only place you can sleep then go for it, but staying in a position that has your back down for many hours a day can encourage a posterior babe. Something anyone who has had much back labor would try to avoid!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page