Interviewing Doulas! What to ask? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-09-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I will be interviewing a couple of doulas this week. I am SO excited as I really think a doula will be a huge help during this birth. This will be a VBAC in a hospital that is very good about VBACs but still has a few policies regarding them that I will be waiving.
Our first concern about the Doula is that we all get along and that our philosophies mesh well. I have a few questions prepared to ask but would love some input from women here who have had, or are going to have, a doula.

Thanks!
#2 of 5 Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 PM

I used a doula for my first homebirth, but didn't really need one for my second--but I did interview quite a few the second time around.

Here is a list of quesitons from the Dona website that you could use.

I think the most important things once you get past the basic questions are the vibe you get personally from the doula, for both you and your partner; and asking for and checking their references.
#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 PM

Once the doula we interviewed went through her entire spiel, there wasn't much left to ask her! The most important thing is just to get a feel for how you connect. Both dh and I liked her right away. She was fabulous, and I would definitely recommend a doula for a hospital birth.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 5 Old 01-11-2006, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. We are meeting with our first interviewee tomorrow. We've already talked a bit, and I really like her. She is very supportive of my VBAC and the waiving of several standard hospital policies.

So we'll see. Thanks again for the input!!
#5 of 5 Old 01-12-2006, 02:42 PM

Good luck with your interview, Epiphany!

I am meeting with a doula-in-training today to talk with her about attending our birth . . . I originally found her when I was looking for a no-cost post-partum doula, and when I found out she was training as a birth doula as well, I offered her an invitation to add to her birth experience.

I'm not really sure what we will talk about. Even after having been on the other side of the interview several times, I'm not quite sure what to ask! I'm just hoping to get a feel for her personality, so that I can tell if we will mesh well or not. I'm also not planning on relying on her for my primary source of support, so it is important to me to figure out if she is okay with being more of an observer.

Hope yours goes well! I think doulas can make a big difference in many women's birth experiences, and hope that you find a great one!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page