Switching care providers? What to do? - Mothering Forums
March 2006 > Switching care providers? What to do?
Daisie125's Avatar Daisie125 04:56 PM 01-12-2006
It may be possible for me to switch care providers to an OB/MW team and deliver at the alternative birthing center at a local hospital. I'm not sure if they take Medicaid, or would even allow a switch this late in the game. I would have to call to find all that out.... to be honest, I'm afraid to even call. There are lots of pros/cons to this, and I honestly don't know what I should do.

Pros to switching
  • Hopefully less arguing about my birth plan
  • They encourage birth plans
  • Less tempted to go for the epi (had one with DD)
  • Less visitors (many wouldn't be willing to drive that far)
  • Lots of choices for pain management (tub, shower, ball etc)

Cons
  • Birth center is 45 minutes away, I have short labors
  • Feeling guilty about leaving OB who delivered my DD
  • I don't "know" this new hospital
  • I'm scared to see someone new
  • Would have to do a natural birth without classes (can't afford/not time)
  • I really DO like my current OB

Ahhhh! I mean, what if I switch and HATE my new providers. I doubt my doc would take me back after switching! I know it sounds silly, but I don't want to offend my doc either. I've been seeing him for 5 years.

What if I call and they don't take my insurance, or won't take me this late in the game. Then I'm going to feel like I'm stuck with my current doc and I don't want that either, I feel like that would cause resentment issues while I'm in labor.

I'm REALLY worried about the distance, my hospital is 25 minutes away and the new one is 45 minutes away. I'm worried about making it, and I DO NOT want a UC.

DH is supportive either way. I think secretly he'd prefer I stay where I am, he's not really comfortable with change, but he won't challenge what I want to do.

Anyone have any imput? Other questions I should be asking myself? Anyone wanna make a decision for me?

HappiLeigh's Avatar HappiLeigh 07:32 PM 01-12-2006
Ooh, sorry. Tough choice! I don't think any harm would come out of at least finding out if the birth center takes your insurance. Then you'll know if you can really be having this discussion or not.

But if they DO take your insurance, and it is really your choice, I have a few comments on your cons:

Cons
Birth center is 45 minutes away, I have short labors
Feeling guilty about leaving OB who delivered my DD--I don't think this counts! You can still think he's a nice person and go to him for your regular gyny care, but not have him deliver the baby. His feelings should not enter in.
I don't "know" this new hospital--If you liked the old one so much, would you be interested in switching?
I'm scared to see someone new--Don't commit, just go visit. After one appointment, she wouldn't be new anymore!
Would have to do a natural birth without classes (can't afford/not time)--Women delivered babies for millennia without classes. I believe you are at least as cool as them!
I really DO like my current OB

Just my thoughts...
Hope you find an answer that makes you feel good going into the birth!
Good luck!
melamama's Avatar melamama 02:44 AM 01-13-2006
Like above, if you find out some more at least you will know if this is even a possiblity. I would definitely call the new practice and find out the insurance stuff, then make an appointment and meet them, see the birth center/hospital.

I would do all of this before saying anything to your current care provider. You can still like your OB and switch care providers--your reasons have little to do with your OB. I have a friend who uses a very conventional OB for her general stuff, then her OB wishes her good luck on her homebirths and welcomes her back to the practice after she births with the mw. It's not personal.

I know people that have switched care providers while in labor it's never too late to switch.

As far as the classes go, I'd borrow a copy of Birthing from Within instead. You don't need classes to do a natural birth, but I do think it helps to have some pain coping techniques.
honeybee's Avatar honeybee 08:47 PM 01-13-2006
Well, I think the first thing you need to do is find out if this is even an option. Then, you need to really think about what kind of birth you want and then decide how/where that's most likely to happen. Your current doctor's feelings and thoughts should not even enter into it. You also shouldn't let fear of change keep you back from the birth you really want (whatever that ends up being).

You sound like you're interested in a natural birth, but scared about being "forced" to have one. Yet, you're also worried about making it to a birth center 45 minutes away on time. If you go too fast to make it to the birth center, you wouldn't have time to get the epi at your current hospital, either! So, wherever you decide to birth, it would probably be a good idea to prepare yourself for a natural birth, even if you decide that you'd prefer getting an epi again.

I don't think you need to take classes to prepare. It's more about mental preparation. Learn about different relaxation techniques and labor positions. Read natural birth stories. MDC is a good source for those. Check out some books on homebirth and read the birth stories (not to convince you to have a homebirth... just to learn how "normal" natural childbirth really is, and see all the various ways women cope).

Provided your insurance covers it, I'd suggest you at least interview the new midwife/OB and take a tour of the other birth center. It's attached to a hospital, right? So, if you really needed an epi, they'd probably be able to transfer you to the hospital fairly easily. Ask your questions, and then go with your gut feeling about which place/caregiver you're most comfortable with.

Good luck!
Up