nursing bra ???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if bras with hooks in the front were as good as a real nursing bra?

I am having trouble finding my size nursing bra and will have to order them online, but worry that I won't get the right size without trying it on first.

I think I can get a front hook bra, but wonder if that is going to be too hard to close when I need to NIP.

Opinions?
#2 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:01 AM

I bought front hook ones with DD and I have wee-little non existant boobs, and it was a major PITA to nurse in it (mainly to open and close) expecially in public. So I would imagine someone who is larger would have the same problems only worse.

This time I have a nusing sports bra, basically a one-size deal.

I know some of the companies make bras that span several band & cup sizes so it would be easy to adjust them, but I can't help with any names (although I'm sure the ladies here could)

You can also convert a regular bra to a nursing bra, instructions are here -> http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#3 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisie125

This time I have a nusing sports bra, basically a one-size deal.

I know some of the companies make bras that span several band & cup sizes so it would be easy to adjust them, but I can't help with any names (although I'm sure the ladies here could)
Where did you get the nursing sports bra? That sound perfect!!

Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#4 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendizbaby
Where did you get the nursing sports bra? That sound perfect!!

Wendi
K-mart! It was like $10 It just has a band size but no cup size. (I would guestimate it will fit anywhere between an A-D, it fit at the begining when I was an A, and it fits about the same now and I'm a C (THAT didn't happen with DD )

It's with their little crappy section of nursing bras. It's actually really comfortable!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#5 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 AM

I went ahead and bought nursing bras because I had to buy new ones anyway (in a different size). I bought mine on friends' recommendations, from Target. They are $12 each and very comfy. I haven't nursed in them yet, obviously, but they seem very easy to use.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 12:15 PM

#7 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM

Bravado! I used them with my first 5 years ago and they have been in a box of maternity stuff since then. Now I am using them as sleeping bras - after 5 years they have lost a bit of their support for daytime use. But these are so comfortable, easy to use (the cup/snap design is super easy to use with one hand) and come in various sizes (important to me since I am normally a 38DDD and the one-size types never fit me). I also like the fact that I never felt like I had a uni-boob which I seem to get with a regular sports bra. I have the Original Double-plus style - it gives me great coverage so I am not bulging out all over the place.
#8 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, being well endowed, I figured that those nasty little hooks would cause a problem in public.

I have considered making my own using a hook and elastic like the sewing site says. I just have to get past the idea of cutting a perfectly good bra.

Bravado, Target and Kmart just don't go up to 50Ds. That is my current size and I am wondering if I will get even bigger?

I like the decent exposures, but $50 for a bra! I may have to order one and just try it out.

Then other ladies I have talked to say that once your milk comes in, you aren't the same size you were during pgncy. Then you don't feel like shopping either. Guess I could get one bra and wait until my milk comes in and order more while I am recupping after the baby is born.

I think I have contemplated my ever growing chest as much as DH has lately!
#9 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 02:25 PM

I hear you!! I'm a DD when I'm not pregnant so when the milk comes in, life around the chest is not easy.

Last time I used Bravado and loved them! But, they are expensive but you need a good bra. When I got pregnant this time, I tried a similar version from Wal-Mart and found they work just as well, but they only come in white. They're called Bestform and cost $11. They look like a sports bra too and have nice wide shoulder straps. I don't have my bras from my last pregnancy and am just using the Wal-Mart version because they surprisingly seem to actually hold me up and separated a little better than the Bravado and are much cheaper, especially when you need to buy several. Good luck!

Our breasties can be such a bear sometimes!
#10 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 03:57 PM

>>I have considered making my own using a hook and elastic like the sewing site says. I just have to get past the idea of cutting a perfectly good bra. <<

Do it with a really cheap or really old one first. Once I did, I never went back to commercially made "nursing" bras.

Kristi
#11 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 05:13 PM

I second the Bravado bras! They are the most comfortable bra I've ever found . . . shaped like a sports bra, so you just slip it over your head. Cotton. Soooo comfy!! I loved mine, and have used them while pg, and after nursing ended because they are so darn comfy. I actually decided to get my "real" bras out after a while and when I put them on I discovered how uncomfortable they are! (As are most nursing bras you'll find in stores.)

You can only order Bravado bras online, as far as I've found. And I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with sizing. Just as an fyi--if you fall at the high end of a size bracket, I'd get the next size up, because when your milk comes in, your breasts will grow!

I cannot recommend them highly enough!

Jen, mom of R (9), T (7), C (5), and E (2) ... my stillheart.gifs

#12 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Daisie~
Thanks for the info!! When I found out I was pregnant, I bought about 3 maternity bras and have ended up living in some old sports bras that I've had for years! I seem to be all about the sports bras these days!!

Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#13 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 09:34 PM

Ellie!

I too am a bit of a busty one and ended up going with a Fancee Free nursing bra, would recommend it.
#14 of 20 Old 01-14-2006, 09:46 PM

Has anyone here tried the Elle MacPherson (sp?) nursing bras? Gwyneth Paltrow said something about them to Oprah apparently, and when Oprah had that big "baby shower" she gave them out to everyone in the audience. I've even read about how great they are in Vanity Fair! I'm guessing they're way too expensive, but last time I used the Target ones and I just hated how droopy they made my boobs look (this was 2-4 years ago, so maybe they're different now). I like some shape and separation, if you know what I mean. It'd be nice to own at least *one* good-looking nursing bra. I mean, if you're going to have the biggest boobs of your life, it sure would be fun to have a bra that made them look good in an outfit!

(oh, and beware of -some- of the sports bra nursing bras...they can be awfully tight, especially when you need to nurse, and I think they contributed to a plugged duct/breast infection I had when the boys were 6 mo. old. Support is great, but all-over elastic uni-boobs are not.)

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#15 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 02:40 AM

I hear you all on this one! I have trouble finding my size in a normal bra much less a nursing bra. : I'm a 42C not pregnant and went to a 42D when nursing. I'm an underwire girl all the way, I HATE uni-boob syndrome! I like wide sides and no scratchy lace. I think I'm going to just convert normal bras this time (I can hardly wait for tax return, my only decent bra just snapped a wire). I found somewhat comfortable nursing bras last time but they didn't last long. Def get what you pay for with bras but I just don't have a choice, I can't afford the prices of the nice ones.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#16 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 02:59 AM

check out the bra from title nine
www.titlenine.com
(type in maternity)
i work for the company and we sell tons and have made many women very happy!
let me know what you think?
#17 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 11:03 AM

I've tried Target's nursing bras, but found that one "oops" through the dryer had them shrink quite a bit. Of course this was the uniboob one that I wasn't sure I was gonna even like, LOL.

The other two I've gotten this pregnancy came from JCPenney's. While looking, they told me if I didn't find my size to just order it for instore pickup. At that time if it didn't fit, no problem.

So for those looking to order, you could always try your local intimate apparel shop or section of your favorite store and see if they will do the same.
#18 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

I ordered 2 YES! bras from ebay yesterday. They are the sports/Bravado type that will have some give in them.

The seller told me to get 2 different sizes. One in my current size that she said will work well for daytime nursing and one bigger for nighttime and engorgement. I figure these will get me through the first few weeks until I can figure out exactly what size I need.

The best part was that they were only $13.99 each plus $5 to ship both. The others I was looking at were $28 for one!

Thanks for all your help!
#19 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Anyone ever try any of the bras at Motherhood? They have a ton, but they are so cheap ($12). I'm afraid to buy one because I might end up hating it.

Wendi

#20 of 20 Old 01-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Kam

I have found, too, that you get what you pay for. The Motherhood bras, are, well, what you pay for, in my experience.

I liked my Medela best when I was nursing a lot. It had a hook on the shoulder strap, but the hook was plastic and very easy to use with one hand. And there was good support around the bottom and edge, and the straps weren't too thin. The only thing I didn't like about it was that there wasn't great definition. But with the plastic clip, I didn't care.

I like Leading Lady bras, too (all cotton is nice when you're milky and sweaty most of the time), but that metal hook on the shoulder strap is a bear to use.

Bravados are okay. I find the coverage is not enough for me, and the support is terrible. The bottom elastic also folds over permanently on all of mine, which makes the support even worse. And at night while side-lying, the top boob falls out, which is a pain, especially if you've got any pads in there.

Why can't someone just make a good nursing bra that's widely available? I'm off to check out the Yes! bras now....

And Moms in Mind has some nursing tanks that would be nice under a cardigan in March/April/May, sort of Glamourmom style, but much less pricey. I'm thinking nursing in a sling is going to be much easier this time with those!

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page