Working a Hospital Sucks - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:
I actually work at several hospitals and I go to all the different floors except maternity and peds. Thank God or everyone would be ask me if I was in labor.
The problem is that almost ALL of the nurses and staff ask when am I due?, do I know what it is?, and what's the name?. Oh, yeah, most of the alert the patients ask now too. I also get comments like, "Are you sure you're not having twins." "Oh you have a ways to go." "You carrying big." accompanied by "Is this your second." BTW I got all the same comments with the 1st. I tend to look bigger because well I gained plenty of weight and both babies were/are breech. I really need a sign with all the information printed on my back. I gets really annoying at this point. People will continue to ask because they forget. I work too many places.
#2 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 02:59 AM

Teachers are like that too. Most of my coworkers have had kids and they are thrilled beyond measure for me, but I have a huge range of responses from "Wow, you sure are big today!" to "I can barely see your tummy!" So funny.
#3 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 03:18 AM

I know what you mean. : I'm in a class once a week at the community college, and I swear there's 24 people in it and EVERY FRICKIN' WEEK I have to answer 24 "So, how much longer?" and "how ARE you?" sessions...I know people are just interested, and just making conversation, but GOOD LORD! Give me a break! Especially because I don't know exactly when I am due, could be Feb. or March...People don't seem to understand that there is a RANGE of delivery dates, they just want a month and a day, lol.
#4 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Yeah, I forgot about the "How ARE you FEELing?" question. I am just PG. I am not ill.
I can see how teachers and people at schools can have it rough with these questions and responses too.
#5 of 5 Old 01-15-2006, 11:31 AM

Yup, I've been getting, "when are you due?" from about 10 weeks. Then people are all SHOCKED when I tell them we don't do u/s so have no idea if its a boy or girl. "How are people supposed to buy presents for the baby?" all offended like. In my family, since they all know me they just plan to go out and purchase something small if they want after the baby is born, then they stagger their visits to when it's convenient to them for a few minutes over the weeks after the birth. No big deal.

People are so used to seeing pg women who don't get big (probably through dieting while pg) so any pg woman who accepts her pg and EATS automatically gets the "You SURE you're not having twins?" I'm not skinny to begin with, of course I'm gonna get BIG.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page