Just watched a great movie!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had my follow up doctors appt. today (after the preterm contractions over the weekend). I am on house arrest for 4 more weeks! Eeek!!! So, to keep myself sane, I went to the video store on the way home. I have been waiting for the movie "In Her Shoes" to come out on DVD (when it was in the theaters, I couldn't get anyone to go with me to see it....). What an awesome movie! Very uplifting, and good for some good old tearful emotional outpouring. I'm sure it will rank high on the chick flick ratings.

Anyone have any other movies they recommend I see while I'm stuck on the couch for another 28 days?

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#2 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 06:25 PM

Have you seen 50 First Dates? My girlfriends and I just watched that again a few days ago and I remembered how much I liked it. It's funny and touching.

I've also heard good things about The Notebook but I haven't seen it myself.

Good luck making the best of your bedrest!!

Jill
#3 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM

'In Her Shoes' sounds really familiar - oh I know! I read the book, in fact I read all of Jennifer Weiner's books (4 of 'em I think) & they all rock, IMHO!

Good flicks, let's see....I can't wait to see 'Crash' heard it was awesome. How about that one with Julia Roberts & what's his name - that hot guy?? I don't get to see many movies with two little girlies around & I'm whooped by "our" bedtime .

How about keeping us up to date with what you've seen/read, you can be our DDCritic!!

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#4 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 07:53 PM

I loved that movie! In fact, the character in there that plays the good boyfriend is where I got inspired to name this baby Simon. I left the movie in such a good mood and thought, "what a great name".
We just watched March of the Penguins. It's very good!! Even my husband liked it and he's usually into action flicks.
Enjoy your down time!!
Wendi

Mom to my little super hero superhero.gif (02/06) and our super hero-in-training femalesling.GIF (11/11).

#5 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Dh hasn't seen March of the Penguins yet. I'm saving that for his first Father's Day...thought that would be pretty cool.

The Notebook is one of my favorite movies....just awesome!

One author that I REALLY like is Louise Erdrich. I read the Painted Drum, and just ordered The Birchbark House and the Beet Queen.

I rented two other DVD's that I'm going to watch. One seems off the wall,something about a guy that takes a journey in a flying lawn chair...I'll let you know.

#6 of 17 Old 01-31-2006, 10:29 PM

I love "Love Actually" and it has a special place in my heart because we went to see it in the theater during early labor with my son. A REALLY good book for reading while preggers is "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. I'm reading it again right now for about the millionth time. Love it!
#7 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 01:18 AM

Ahhhh....movie time! If you saw "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson and liked it, I would strongly suggest watching the extended version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Holy wow what a hot guy, and what a great movie!! Plus, it's long (two discs), so it's a great way to fill up an afternoon.

If you like Louis Erdrich, I would check out the autobiography she wrote about her own pregnancy and experience with her new baby...it's called The Blue Jay's Dance. There are some very sweet, very personal reflections on motherhood in that book.

...Watch out for Crash. It's a very tense, very anger-filled movie about sterotypes and prejudice. Might not be the best thing for baby, though it is an interesting move.

The Notebook _is_ surprisingly sweet. Seems like it'll be a teenage flick, but dh and I like it.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#8 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma
Ahhhh....movie time! If you saw "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson and liked it, I would strongly suggest watching the extended version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth. Holy wow what a hot guy, and what a great movie!!
I second that! There's a great part where he dives into his lake and comes out all wet with his clothes all clingy

A fun one also with CF is Bridget Jones.....did you see that one yet?
Of course we aren't the best judges....my husband has exclusive rights over the Netflix queue, and the last 2 movies he selected ranked as the worst 2 of the whole year. And I had to agree.
#9 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 10:32 AM

"Life As A House" was a really sweet father-son film with some quirky humour. I liked it more than I expected to.
#10 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

I'm using your suggestions to make up a list of movies for dh to grab. He says he wants to watch the one with me about the guy in the lawn chair. It's called Danny Deckchair. I bet you it'll be corny!

Also, they have been advertising this show like crazy called Grizzlyman, I think on Discovery or Science Channel. We are going to watch it just to see how much of an idiot this guy was. Dh and I took our honeymoon in Alaska and spent 3 days backpacking at Katmai National Park surrounded by Grizzly. I think the guy who this film is on had a bad reputation for being an idiot around the bear and taking really dumb chances. I think this might be the same guy who ended up getting himself and his girlfriend eaten by a grizzly a couple of years ago. I'll have to check into it. It's on Friday night...

#11 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 AM

Oh - another good one - if you like documentary type ones, is Super Size Me about the guy who ate nothing but Macdonald's three times a day to see what would happen!!

It'll be a looooong time before you eat at Mickey's D's after you watch that one! It isn't gross, just shocking how it wrecks his body so fast.
#12 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 12:48 PM

Just chiming in to add my thumbs-up for:

- Sense & Sensibility w/ Colin Firth (I've never been one to drool over movie stars, but that fella is SO frickin' cute. And the movie is awesome!)

- 50 First Dates (I thought it would be the stupidest movie ever, but I loved it. It's really sweet and touching and funny.)

- Love Actually (Very creative, entertaining "sleeper," I thought.)

- The Red Tent (Definitely on my Top 5 Books list, and as yellowwood mama said, GREAT reading for a PG woman.)

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#13 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Kam

I'm glad they've got you resting up!

I just wanted to let you know that Life as a House, though beautiful, is emotionally intense. Just so you know. I've seen so many movies during pregnancy that I wish I hadn't seen, that I like to be extra careful in recommendations for other pregnant women, just in case.

The Weeping Camel is a great mama movie, though not in the usual way. The music makes me cry every time--it is so moving.

Come to think of it, A Mongolian Tale is a pretty great movie, too, if you can find it. I guess I'm just a sucker for that horse fiddle.

Looking forward to reading your reviews!

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
#14 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

You want total emotional outpouring? Read this new book called "Marley and Me". It's about a family and their hyper active dog. I started reading it on a flight a couple of weeks ago, and had to put it down because I kept crying....I felt like a crazy pregnant woman. Then, I finished it once I got home....cried through the last 10 or so pages. Dh came upstairs and asked why I was crying. I said "that was the worst book I've ever read". He said "yesterday you told me it was the best book you ever read!".

Truly a good book though, especially if there is a dog in your life (present or past) that you have a special bond with.

#15 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 04:47 PM

I loved "Love Actually" too. It is an excellent film amd very funny!
#16 of 17 Old 02-01-2006, 05:52 PM

I always enjoy 'Much Ado About Nothing' and 'Guys And Dolls' ooh and Audrey Hepburn movies.

And highly recommend the book 'The Five People You Meet In Heaven' by Mitch Albom.

Alicia + James = Gabriel (9), Uriah (7), Ayla (5), Noah (3), Azriel (1), and due Oct. 2011

#17 of 17 Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 PM

Ohh YESS Colin Firth!!! anything with him I would say especially Pride and Prejudice hmmmm I so wish I had that movie (the exteded version) I have BJD but on vhs and we do not have a vcr.. bummer I think I am going to ask dh to take me to the video store today I want to see Pride and Prejidice again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page