Any cervix action? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 36-37 weeks and just saw the doctor yesterday. Baby's head is engaged, I'm dilated 1-2 centimeters, and 50% effaced! I know I could still walk around like this for weeks, but that's 1-2 centimeters I don't have to dilate in labor. I'm so happy!
#2 of 16 Old 02-15-2006, 09:26 PM

Does everyone dilate weeks before labor?? I have an appointment tomorrow, I want to find out if I am at all or not, but does it mean labor is soon to come?
#3 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 12:16 AM

Awesome!

I had an appointment today with my midwife. She also told me that the baby's head is engaged. We did not do an internal check though to see if i might be dialated. I will find out next time!

marchmommy-
from what i have read and been told, being 1-2cm dialated weeks before labor is normal. It's a good sign!
#4 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 12:31 AM

Well baby's butt is engaged here but no dilation. Anybody have cerivical twinges and/cramping. I don't know if this just a breech thing, but I keep having pain in that area and it's not the baby kicking me. I have had the baby kick me in the bladder and the cervix, Owww.
#5 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I already posted my cervical status , on Monday (36 wks) I was 3cm & 60% effaced. Next Monday I expect to be at least 4, maybe 5cm. I *always* walk around 4-5 cm dilated & almost completely effaced for a few weeks before giving birth. It's a little nerve-wracking because I feel like my babies are going to drop out onto their heads, but it hasn't happened yet .

That's the way I look at it, any amount you've already dilated is that much less work you have to do in labor. I just have to remind the doc not to be too rough, ya know how antsy they get when you're half way there .

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
#6 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 AM

I have no cervical action here until well into labor. (think 3-4 hours before birth) I don't even bother getting checked anymore, it's not worth the discomfort to me. Last time I went from very little to complete dilation in under an hour and a half. Things happened pretty quickly at the end so we're not sure on the timing.

I'm 38 weeks and been having some good low pressure and my 'baby's almost here' nausea for the past couple days. I doubt baby's engaged yet, that usually happens in labor here too. I must be lazy or something, nothing happens until labor then *everything* happens all at once. (Now watch me have a different labor this time )
#7 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 02:38 PM

Almost 37 weeks here and they haven't checked yet. I guess with no signs at all of impending labor (not even any BHs) with a first baby they just assume there isn't a lot of action this early yet. Fine with me!
#8 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 03:08 PM

I had my first appt with the OB on Monday (after having to switch from my HB MW because of the twins). He checked my cervix & said I was 1-2 cm dilated. I know I was about that at least a month before my dd was born, so didn't think anything of it. That is, until I checked out & made my next appt & the receptionist said, "He says your cervix is already changing, so...." Then I got all nervous, even though I know it's no big deal. So I called my MW (I'm still seeing her, too, and planning to have her at the birth, as a support person). She says, "You always are!" She had checked my cervix very early on, at my request because of something that was happening at that time & said I've been dilated all along, that some women just stay a bit dilated after having had a child. So as usual, she made me feel all better & calm again. Thank goodness for her. The appt with the OB was fine, but I just don't feel *good* when I leave there. (I guess I need the warm fuzzies that the MW gives. ) ANyway, that's my long-winded answer!
#9 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 08:40 PM

It's kinda funny how obsessed our society is with numbers. Everything has to have a number attached to it! I don't really get it... and I'm a total math geek!

How dilated or effaced you are doesn't really mean anything at all about when you'll actually go into labor. So, go ahead and feel good about any dilation now... but if you get checked and nothing seems to be happening, don't worry about it! Every pregnancy is different. It's normal to be 1-2 cm dilated, but it's also normal not to dilate until a day or so before labor... or not until you're actually in labor. And then you could dilate very swiftly.

I'm not getting checked. I think it's almost worse to know. If you *aren't* dilating much, then that can start turning into a lot of needless worry. And then, every time someone "goes in there" there is another opportunity to introduce something foreign into the environment. JMO

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#10 of 16 Old 02-16-2006, 09:34 PM

I'm 34 weeks today. They've been checking me every week since my preterm contractions started. 2 more weeks of bedrest and Terbutaline. Last week when doc checked me, I asked before she did "what if I am dilated, what should I expect". She says I would be hospitalized if that is the case...she doesn't feel comfortable with me going into labor until 36 weeks. That sucks if some women just walk around dilated for a couple of weeks...that means I'm going to be sitting in a hospital bed if that happens?

I guess I might just have to live up to my high maintenence patient status and tell them I dont' want to be hospitalized if I start dilating.

Been keeping track...so far I've been checked 8 times in 3 weeks....YUCK!!!!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#11 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrin
I'm 34 weeks today. They've been checking me every week since my preterm contractions started. 2 more weeks of bedrest and Terbutaline. Last week when doc checked me, I asked before she did "what if I am dilated, what should I expect". She says I would be hospitalized if that is the case...she doesn't feel comfortable with me going into labor until 36 weeks. That sucks if some women just walk around dilated for a couple of weeks...that means I'm going to be sitting in a hospital bed if that happens?

I guess I might just have to live up to my high maintenence patient status and tell them I dont' want to be hospitalized if I start dilating.

Been keeping track...so far I've been checked 8 times in 3 weeks....YUCK!!!!
Carrin, I would NOT let them do cervical checks. If you are predisposed to PTL (I am as well), it is best NOT to stir things up around the cervix. I am sure they told you not to have sex, but it's okay for them to keep sticking their hands up there? If preterm labor is imminent, there will be more obvious signs than cervical dialation. Some women DO walk aroung dialated for weeks. They don't know was is normal for you and very well may be jumping the gun with relying only on cervical dialation as an indication.

The problem with KNOWING as you said is what you *do* with the information. Will it change the outcome or management of your pregnancy? If it leads you to bedrest in the hospital, well I guess that is something you'll have to decide. Having had to be on bedrest and reading A LOT about PTL and premature birth (my son was a 29 weeker), bedrest has never had any proof that it is useful. You are better of taking it easy at home. The administration of tocolyctics can only put off labor for a max. of two weeks, which is a BIG difference when your 26-32 weeks pregnant, but not so much benefit with regard to risk the later the pregnancy goes.

Are you taking oral tocolyctics at home? Or how is the terbutaline administered?

I have made it to nearly 37 weeks without any cervical examination. We had a few scares, but was managed very hands off.

PTL management is is a pet peeve of mine. Ultimately, you're getting closer an closer to term and you'll have less to worry about. I just wished someone had told me this stuff when I was pregnant with DS. As with all advice, you're welcome to take it or leave it.
#12 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 12:26 PM

NOPE! None!!! at 35 weeks. "I'm NEVER going to give birth to this baby!!!!" ----sorry....reverting to my mainstream board days.
#13 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 02:48 PM

I am 36 weeks, and don't know if there is any dilation/effacement. The MW hasn't done an internal exam, and I doubt she will. I don't really want one, anyhow, it will just make me anxious/nervous!

We had our home visit last night, and the baby definately "dropped". I have been feeling more pressure in my pubic area, and the trips to the bathroom are much more frequent (but then, just a dribble comes out!!!) and once in awhile I get a cramp or sharp pain down there... but fairly infrequently.

Still wanting to hold out a few more weeks!!!
#14 of 16 Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 PM

PROGRESS!!!!!

....Just had my 38wk check today...Dr. said I'm 1.5cm and (this is the best) about 50% effaced. COOOL!

I'm not going into labor anytime soon, though...my BH are just starting to pick up in intesity, and last time I was a good 2-3 cm dilated before I went into labor.

It's progress, though, and progress is fun!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#15 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 01:12 AM

36 weeks and closed...probably will be until labor begins like my first. Is there really any reason to do the cervix checking anyway? I could be 5cm and still have 4 weeks until labor sets, right?
#16 of 16 Old 02-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssolberg99
36 weeks and closed...probably will be until labor begins like my first. Is there really any reason to do the cervix checking anyway? I could be 5cm and still have 4 weeks until labor sets, right?
Technically, no. There's no real reason to do them. I am always 4-5 cm dilated for about 3 weeks before birth, but it could let you know that your labor will *probably* be faster than expected. My first was 3.5 hrs, my second was 1 hr & I'm betting that this one will be in a hurry as well.

When I called my mw during my first labor, she told me to see how it went for an hour & call her back. I called back in a few minutes & told her the contrax were really strong & then she remembered that I was already 5 cm at the last visit & she got a move on .

So no, there's no *real* reason, for me, I choose to because it's exciting & I love to see the look on people's faces when I tell them how dilated I am .

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page