Weekly chat and labor updates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

It's getting down to the time when some people are going to be noticing new developments and contraction patterns every day...Megs Mom posted in the Due Date list, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a place to chat about day-to-day stuff where everyone would be able to see it.

Bigtime s out to Megs Mom, btw...sounds like her labor's been going on for a while! Analisa, if you're still around, keep your chin up!

Anyone else have contractions or fun 9-month stuff over the weekend?

Cheers!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM

Nope (I'm only 35 weeks), but I've sure been wondering about everyone else!

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#3 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 01:58 PM

im not having contractions, but i keep getting this weird almost constant pain on mid left side about an inch or 2 below rib cage, its there everyday, pretty much all day now, last week just when i had sat to long. I mentioned to doc and he said BH, but i dont think it is as doesnt feel like a tightening around uterus, any ideas???
this babe also still riding very high up, which may be putting pressure in weird places.

any insight would be appreciated
#4 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 02:16 PM

No contractions (thank goodness, I'm not ready and neither is he!) still without internet at home, and still sewing up a storm!

My wonderful DH has been on a birthcenter/midwife hunt for me at work since he has internet there, and found an AWESOME birthcenter about 30-45 minutes away from us that takes partial medicaid!! We are going to meet with her on Saturday to hash out the details and see if there is any way at all we can work something out so I can get myself away from a hospital birth. My normally laid-back doctor must have had an 'interventions are nessicary' seminar recently and he is making me crazy! He tried to check me yesterday!! I'm not even 35 weeks! Um... HELLO?! So he said he would be willing to hold off until my next appointment but no longer than that. Yeah, right, that's not your decision, buddy!

I was sick all this weekend, and now poor DH got it.

Not much else going on here.... just hoping this baby stays put until my due date at the very least. I have WAY too much to do for him to come any earlier than that.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#5 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 03:01 PM

Having ctx as we speak. But I'm not excited after my little episode on Friday. :

Just annoyed, especially when dd climbs on me in the middle of one.

But I'd rather have 3 weeks of this than the 3 DAYS SOLID I had last time.

I'm thinking I might need to up my herbal intake and stop pussyfooting around with Red Raspberry Leaf and Nettles. I think it's time for some Lobelia.
#6 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM

37 weeks here, and nothing so far. No more Braxton-Hicks than usual, and babe is still high. I'll see what my midwife says today. It's my first, and I'll admit to being a little impatient. I just keep telling myself that I have 5 more weeks. My mom had all 5 of her babies at 38 weeks, so I think that may be setting me up for disappointment.
#7 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 03:42 PM

scubamom I have a similar pain, almost feels like a burning- mine is on the left, only about an inch down. Midwife says it's just a stretching and is normal. Sitting up straight and a warm wrap on it makes it feel better for me. Also, sleeping with a pillow under the upper part of my belly makes it feel better while I'm sleeping.
#8 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM

I have nothing going on labour wise but don't expect it either. Both my other kids were born at almost 42 weeks so I am getting myself into that mentality so if the baby comes early or on time that will be great but I am expecting that it will not.
Friday was my last day of work so now I am getting the house cleaned really well and starting some cooking to go in the freezer for when baby comes. I also still need to buy some baby stuff, go through the baby stuff I have, sort out the kids toys, clean the front porch etc..... I need as much time as I can get so I am okay if there is no baby for a while.
I am watching everyday to see if someone has had their baby so I can live vicariously through them until my time comes. to everyone who is getting ready!!!

Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010
#9 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 05:10 PM

Nothing happening here at 37 weeks. Baby is head down and dropped, so hopefully at my next appt they'll take a look and let me know if anything's happening in there. I did start with BHs over the weekend - since I'm new at this I thought it was the baby's back pushing out, but it dawned in me that they were BH's.

Meg's Mom - good luck - any updates?
#10 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 05:32 PM

edited

#11 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:26 PM

WARNING - A LITTLE SCARY - EDITED TO BE NOT SO SCARY!

I finally agreed to have my baby at the hospital where I work due to circumstances beyond my immediate control. Out of 4 OBs, 3 are tolerable - one is great and I figure I can get what I need out of the experience by being informed and making sure my husband is too.

Just found out - the one OB that I've been seeing all along, the GOOD one (the lesser of the 4 evils), is in the paper this week being sued for hurting an infant that otherwise was healthy, after a long back labor, with forceps. I guess he was too aggressive, and there's no getting around that. It didn't turn out well. I have some serious decisions to make now; send me good thoughts for figuring out the bext course of action and gaining appropriate perspective on the situation.

Very, very sorry if I upset anyone with the previous unedited post. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in the paper.
#12 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM

I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow, and nothing's happening yet, for which I'm thankful at this point. I've had a rotten cold all week, so I am not feeling strong enough to deal with labor right now. Plus, since I've been sick, the house is a wreck and I don't have much food put away. Right now, I'm living on whatever dh manages to scrounge up, and it's not the most nutritious of fare. I don't want to be doing this for weeks after the baby's born, too! Also, the room we plan on putting the birth tub in is packed full of stuff that needs to go into storage. Dh was supposed to clean it out this weekend, but he ended up taking care of ds and me all weekend instead.

My midwife comes for her homevisit on Thursday. I'm hoping to somehow miraculously have the house in a little better order by then. Not sure how that's going to happen, though.

On the positive side, most all my newborn diapers and baby clothes are washed and put away, and a friend dropped off some of the covers and diapers I was missing. Dh should have picked up the last of our birth supplies today. We told MIL about the homebirth, and she actually took it very well, and is willing to come help out with ds if we need her during the birth. So, if baby comes, we're mainly prepared.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#13 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM

Good heavens, ahwuko, what a scary story! I have no idea what to advise you except, obviously: (1) try to find out all the info you can about what happened, and (2) if that OB attends your birth, don't let him anywhere near a forceps.

Hugs.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#14 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:37 PM

That is such a terrible story. I'm so disgusted right now. Good luck finding a doctor, or the truth, or something. I couldn't go to that person.

My daily update is that I'm miserable. I'm only 34 weeks!! 35 starts Thursday. The only time my belly isn't tight is when I'm laying on my side for at least 10 minutes. Anyone else like this? The baby's moving around and I love that. Yesterday, my 4 year old got to see my belly moving around with her sister inside. That was pretty cool! I'm excited for you all to get started on your birthing stories. This will be fun!

Good luck everyone!
#15 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM

I was about to post the exact same thing about not letting the doctor near a pair of forceps.
Jessie

Jessie (29) mom to Emma (2002), Anthony (2004), Elizabeth (2006) and Ava (2008) and someone new 2010
#16 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:42 PM

Oh, ahwuko, that sounds like a tough one. At least you have an "inside track" at knowing what's going on. I'm sorry your homebirth plans aren't going to work out.

Good luck!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#17 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Well, I'm doing pretty darn good! I had my 38-ish week appt. with my MW yesterday, and she said the baby's head felt quite a bit lower to her than it had, so that's good. I still feel her up high though, too, she must just be stretching out as MUCH as she can! I told her if she's so squished to come on out, there is plenty of room out here!

I have lots of BH every day, all day, especially in the evening, but I have for weeks and weeks and weeks so no biggie there. They don't hurt, but it's good practice to concentrate on relaxing through them instead of tightening up. I am having a lot of pain in my pubic bone now too. I have had off and on throughout the pregnancy but it's mainly on the right side now, which is where the baby likes to lay, so I am thinking it must be because she's sitting lower now.

As of the 16th, I am more pregnant than I have ever been! I was induced electively with my son at 39w 5d according to my LMP EDD, which was a full 14 days earlier than MY EDD according to my ovulation date (but of course my OB would hear none of it . My LMP EDD this time was February 18th, although I don't believe my EDD is until the first week of March according to my most likely ovulation. I feel great mentally, SO much better than I did with my son. It's amazing what you can do for *yourself*, YK? You can make yourself miserable, or you can make yourself happy. It's not QUITE as simple as that all the time, but for me it really has been. I just wish more people knew about it (like, more people on my other DDB, lol!) :
#18 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 07:34 PM
Kam

Oh, man, Ahwuko, I am really sorry to hear your story for the anxiety it's causing you and for that baby and family, but I wish I hadn't read it for myself. I know what I'll be dreaming about for the next few days. Maybe your post needs a little warning on it. Yikes. I hope you are able to get a good doctor and avoid that one altogether. I agree--try to get all the information about it that you can (of course, you will).

Daisie, your DH sounds like a gem.

I have a sore spot on my abdomen, too, a little above and the left of my navel. It was sore with Meg, and it's really sore this time--feels like ripping and burning. If someone bumps it, I jump. My midwife says all the veins leading from the umbilical cord into the baby's body turn into ligaments over time. It's those ligaments of mine that are stretching now with the pregnancy, and over-stretched ligaments hurt like the dickens and don't heal well. Uggh. Heat does help a lot, as does a warm bath. It will be the one thing I'll be happy to be done with.

I'm feeling lots of BHs here, and low baby feelings, but nothing too intense. Slow and steady, slow and steady. I've got tons to do, too, so I'm in no rush whatsoever. Lucky for me, I'm due at the end of the month so I get to cheer most of you on first.

warmly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
#19 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM

Nothing's happening here at 36 weeks.

Cervix is closed, baby is high up. My dr is ready to deliver me though. He said that I can go ahead and go into labor any time now. OY! He did say my GBS came back positive and I will have to have IV antibiotics.

If you go by the dr's EDD, I'm 36 weeks, but I'm pretty sure I'm only 35....so I think he's pushing it for me to be ready to deliver now.

I did find out that my dr will be out of the office next week, so if I were to go into labor next week, I would end up with someone else delivering my baby. DH isn't willing to do that! Since I told him that sex can bring on labor, he won't touch me! He said the baby needs to stay in there at least another month. Gotta love him!
#20 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM

36 weeks here. my BP has been going up and up. i also have protein in my urine. my labs were all normal, so for now i am just hanging out at home trying to rest as much as possible. i get reasonable readings sometimes when i am resting and not obsessing about the BP, but they are very high when i am worried about them.

i am not sure what to do. pretty stressful. my MW says baby is doing great, growing and moving all over. had an U/S last week and baby was measuring perfectly at 35 weeks and cord looked good, blood flow through cord good as well.

i am afraid of going to the hospital because at this stage they will just want to induce me. i don't want to be induced. so we are going to check weekly labs and see how things go. i have kind of told myself that i probably won't get my home waterbirth, but the longer i stay at home, the better. if i go into labor naturally, even better, the less they can do to me at the hospital.

baby is head down and very active. i hope that my BP improves (it gets to 170/90s sometimes, but can also be 130/80s in same day when i am resting). i am on high protein, all kinds of herbal stuff, nothing helping. i think my anxiety has a lot to do with the high BP spikes as i can't stop worrying about it.

i want to trust my MWs intuition and experience that babe is doing fine, but also don't want to let my fear of medical world keep me from the hospital. so frustrating.

send me positive vibes that this is just what i do during pregnancy. i did the same with DD. had high BPs and protein in urine, but no other labs changes and we did fine.
#21 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam
Oh, man, Ahwuko, I am really sorry to hear your story for the anxiety it's causing you and for that baby and family, but I wish I hadn't read it for myself. I know what I'll be dreaming about for the next few days. Maybe your post needs a little warning on it. Yikes. I hope you are able to get a good doctor and avoid that one altogether. I agree--try to get all the information about it that you can (of course, you will).

armly,
Kam, mamamama! to Meg and one more
I know, I'm sorry - as soon as I posted it I thought I'd better edit it and I now I can't! I don't see the edit button anymore! I freaked out and posted it and now I can't unpost it. I'll keep trying.
#22 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 08:52 PM

It's nice to read everyone's updates. We're really in the home stretch! We'll all be cuddling babies soon.
I'm 35 weeks and had a prenatal massage today for all my achy parts and it was wonderful. Ahhhhhhhhh...
Baby dropped two days ago, so suddenly the shape of my belly has changed, and my boobs are no longer about to hit my chin, and I can breathe better, but I have to pee even more and my hips hurt. I think on the whole I'm glad, because at least it means she's doing the right things (like heading south).
I just can't wait to meet her...

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#23 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 10:17 PM

I'm doing well now at 35 weeks 5 days. Dh & I have finally settled on a doctor, hospital, and doula (since the HB is out because of the twins) and we've come around to the whole "twin" thing, too. Also getting plans in place for dd, since it's not going to be practical for her to come to the hospital with us.

I'm not thrilled with my new "medical" care, but it could be worse. At least the docs are willing to let me deliver vaginally, not in the OR, etc. I've made some concessions, obviously, like having a hep-lock, probably having antibiotics due to positive GBS, intermittent electronic fetal monitoring, 2 ultrasounds, and I'm sure more internal exams than I'd like (only 1 so far....). But we're staying positive.

My MW is going on vacation for 2 weeks, so I REALLY want to keep these babes in until she returns so that she can be labor support for me, in addition to the doula. At this point I don't see why they won't hang in there a few more weeks.

My belly is expanding, mostly downward! I can't wear any of the under-belly maternity pants anymore & have to go with the full panel styles (not my fav.!). And where my belly juts out (like a shelf!) there is a head! Just haning out there, bouncing around, creating all sorts of lovely stretch marks & whatnot. The other babe is behind that one & both are head down. I'm getting kicked all over the place, and am definitely sore around the breastbone area. I've been using Arnica gel there a couple times a day & it seems to be helping.

BH are picking up. A few each night now, but nothing major. I've had a cold for a couple weeks now, so it's been a challenge to stay hydrated. Done working & everything, so I do get a bit more time to relax & rest, which helps as well.

So nice to hear everyone's updates. It's going to be so fun to read the birth stories in a few weeks!!! Good luck, everyone!
#24 of 129 Old 02-21-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody know when Megs Mom posted last? Her post in the Due Date list was a couple of days ago....has she been around since then? Wow...we might have another March baby out there somewhere!

Ilovelife~ the twin belly-shelf is a wonder, isn't it? I always tell people I felt like I could stand sideways in a doorframe and block the whole thing...I swear, my belly went STRAIGHT out! James was breech and on top, so I had the opposite head problem...there was a huge lump up top, and when I sat his head looked kind of like a third boob. Wishing you at least a few more weeks, though--sounds like it would be great to have your midwife with you. It's FANTASTIC that you don't have to deliver in the OR!

Mariposa~ sounds like your midwife is a very calm, reasonable lady. If this is what your body did with your previous pregnancy, and everything was fine, then I'm sure this time will work out, too.

ellie_may~ I'm an OB-lover, usually, but what is it with their "okay, you're 36ish weeks, you can deliver at any time!" attitude? : My OB has been saying "it's okay" for a couple of weeks now, too. I keep reminding him that my other boys were born at 40 weeks. Is it possible that someone writing the OB medical textbooks put in a typo that a "normal" pregnancy is 37 weeks? Bizarro.

ahwuko~ I didn't read the scary version of the post, so I don't know how bad the situation is, but if the general nurse/medical opinion of this doctor is that he's really a good guy, then I bet there were circumstances that contributed to him making such a horrible mistake. More than anything, I bet HE feels awful. I'm guessing he won't be touching those forceps for a while. What's the deal with forceps, anyway?? Haven't vaccums been proven safer and more effective time and time again? , and good luck with finding your comfort zone in this new situation. Don't let one freak occurance totally shatter your image of what birth will be like....random sad situations happen at hospitals, homebirths, and birthing centers, too.

Things are gearing up here...last night I had an hour of fairly uncomfortable BH, in addition to hours of normal BH. I'm trying not to play myself into the crazy waiting game this time, though (last pregnancy I drove myself crazy thinking every night was THE NIGHT ). When I got up to get ready for bed, the contractions stopped. Still, I'm doing my 1.25 mi on the treadmill every night, drinking loads of RRL, and trying to prepare mentally for labor. I think it's going to happen sometime in the next 10-12 days. With this pattern of BH, and the intense stretching I'm feeling low down (even though baby is still high), I'm guessing I won't be going overdue.

We'll see, though!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#25 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 01:20 AM

As of last week my midwife determined that the baby is head down and very low. I did a self check and can feel his head right on the otherside of my cervix, which is very soft and about one cm dialated. I am having BH contractions only a few times a day, not in any regular pattern. I feel sharp pain at times on my cervix when they baby moves. So he must be getting ready, makes me wonder if I will make it to my due date. My belly button is now an "outty". My husband called it a baby "turkey" timer. Ding! Baby is done!
#26 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 04:52 AM

I've been having contractions pretty constantly since last Thursday. I was 1cm dilated at that time which has never happened out of labor for me before. Needless to say, I am tired. Baby is very low and in, I can actually see my feet for the first time in months now. I'm not online much as I'm really uncomfortable all the time and spend as much time trying to rest, we even had to have DH start his leave a week early b/c I could no longer function. I have 2 exams and a quiz due this week and Dh thinks that those are holding me back. Once those are out of the way, I should be ok. At this point I want the ctx to either stop completely or bring a baby now. I'm just over 39 weeks or something so needless to say I am ready. (Just not ready enough to actually *do* anything other than tell baby to come on out soon. )
#27 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 11:01 AM

I've been having BH's for a couple weeks now. Usually in the evenings, but a few times *all* night long which makes for a slow morning. I've also had those scratchy/stretchy/pullie feelings in my cervix on and off for about as long so I had my cervix checked last thursday. Those pullie feelings are definitely working cause I'm at least 3 cm dilated as of then.

I should have at least 2 weeks left (DS was at least a week early according to the wheel) but DH keeps looking at me and saying, "This week"... I'm definitely ready to meet this little person, but not ready for the pregnancy to end, IFYKWIM

Oh, and in the last 2 days I've gotten noticeably larger...and feel it too! Pants are just not my friends these days LOL! Under belly or full panel...
#28 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 11:27 AM

34 1/2 weeks. Woke up this morning with that "carrying a water balloon between my legs" feeling. I think he is definitely starting to drop. Right now it feels like he's really lying in my lap. I have a doc's appt today, so we'll see what they say. Hopefully no dilation yet. 1 1/2 weeks of bedrest left...I'm in the homestretch! Not soon enough, I have so much stuff that just got put on hold that needs to be completed. Especially getting clothes and diapers washed and organized.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#29 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliD
Oh, and in the last 2 days I've gotten noticeably larger...and feel it too! Pants are just not my friends these days LOL! Under belly or full panel...
Me either....I just want to be in pajamas all the time, but since I'm still working full time, I guess that isn't a good idea! Its too cold here in PA to be wearing skirts unfortunately.
#30 of 129 Old 02-22-2006, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was going to post a new thread asking about my adventure's last night, but I might as well post here! Thanks for starting this thread RedOakMomma !

I am 37.5 weeks, last night during dinner time I was having some serious BH's & cervical pinching - ouch! I got up to go to the bathroom & WARNING TMI!! when I wiped there was a big glob of whitish/yellowish mucus. I guess the contrax/pinching were causing some progress to be made in the dilation department & dislodged some mucus plug.

Third pg & I have yet to see a mucus plug - I guess this was part of it???? I've heard that a mucus plug is a big, slug-like hunk of gelatinous mucus. Usually I have some mucus throughout the day, sometime more than others, but last night was the biggest solid blob I've ever seen, sorry, TMI.

I was 3cm & 60% effaced last Monday (36 wks) so maybe I've made some progress since then......

I barely slept at all last night (maybe 4 hrs tops) & when I got up, I noticed that the baby is even lower than before bed, didn't think *that* was possible . I had to get up to pee 4 times, ugh.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page