First pregnancy - are cramps normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hoping that someone may be able to offer some advice/knowledge - this is my first pregnancy and I am pretty clueless....

Am very close to 5 weeks and have been experiencing mild cramps off and on for the past week or so. They're sort of like period cramps, but seem to occurr mostly whenever I change position - for instance, when I first lay down, when I stand up after sitting for a bit, etc. Is this normal?
Not super worried, but it's been a bit of a nagging concern in the back of my head....

Hope someone may be able to share any experience or knowledge about this!
Thanks so much!
--
Tory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 AM

's to you mama! Try not to stress though I know its hard your first round...I experienced cramps for a while in both pregnancies. It could be your uterus contracting-there is all kinds of new and amazing things happening down there so you could most certainly just be feeling your own bodies "adjustments". NOW if your cramps become painful or your are spotting obviously go immediately to the ER or call your midwife-whatever your situation.You would know the difference, I think.
#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 10:42 AM

i experienced cramping w/my first preg. at the exact same time. some of my cramps were slightly painful and totally freaked me out, but i learned that it was normal. it has to do w/ the egg implanting. if you have bleeding, it should be checked out, but know that it's also very common to spot around the sixth week as the lining prepares the baby as well.
#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 10:54 AM

I experienced them with both of my DC. At first i worried, but they were just a dull pain, kinda like the pain before my moon starts. If there is any bleeding, i agree with the others that it should be checked out.Don't worry though, my midwife told me that it's not uncomman to have slight cramps when your moon would've come, even throuought the preg. That was true for me with my DD.

Whatever will be, already is...

#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 01:01 PM

This is my first pregnancy too, and I'm experiencing the same cramps you are. I think I read somewhere that it might be the uterus starting to expand and make room for the baby that's going to be inside. They haven't been painful, so I'm trying not to worry about them too much.
#6 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wencit
This is my first pregnancy too, and I'm experiencing the same cramps you are. I think I read somewhere that it might be the uterus starting to expand and make room for the baby that's going to be inside. They haven't been painful, so I'm trying not to worry about them too much.
THis is exactly what I've been told!

I've had these pains with my last 3 PG and all has turned out normal. I did M/C 11 years ago, but I never got these type of pains.

I normally get them when climbing into or out of bed or repositioning myself in bed

I just take it as a reminder to move more smoothly
#7 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 02:39 PM

Yep I have that too! I had it with my dd also, and it worried me even though I read it was supposedly 'normal'. Of course I did have some incidents with brown spotting in the first trimester with her too, which is probably why I stressed out everytime I got cramps. My dd was born completely fine at 41 weeks, so I'm not really very worried about it this time. Ok, well it does worry me a little bit :LOL but I think thats normal! I think its just your uterus growing and that little bean snuggling in for the next 8+ months!

Definitely give your dr. or midwife a call if you have any spotting, bleeding or the cramps get worse...might be no big deal but always good for your peace of mind to call!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#8 of 8 Old 08-01-2005, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of the information, ladies!
Hearing that what I'm feeling is normal definitely eases the mind....

Big hugs to all!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page