Can I eat tunafish when I'm pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-23-2005, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been craving tuna for weeks now, but have been controlling myself because I have read that the mercury levels in tuna aren't good for pregnant women. So, would it make a difference if I had organic or fresh tunafish?

I know eating it once won't hurt (and then maybe the thought of it will make me sick for the rest of the pregnancy) but just wondering if you ladies had your two cents to put in to this issue?

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#2 of 12 Old 09-23-2005, 05:46 PM

I read somewhere that 1 6-ounce can of tuna a week should be OK for pregnant women. In fact, I had a tuna melt sandwich last week, and it was soooooooo good (I've been limiting fish intake for the very same reason as you).
#3 of 12 Old 09-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Yep 6oz/week is all. So enjoy!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 12 Old 09-23-2005, 07:37 PM

There are some good sources of info out there about what kinds are better. Other fish is better than tuna, too, so you might consider that.

Also, there are so many sources of mercury-- air polution, for example.... If I lived somewhere that was high, I'd be more wary of adding extra thru food.

It's all about balance, though, right?

#5 of 12 Old 09-23-2005, 07:51 PM

I feel a little dorky suggesting this... but have you thought about trying a substitute? There's a vegetarian "tuna alternative" called Tuno that we buy every once in a while, and we really like it. http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...lternative.htm

I eat fish occasionally (my bf'ed kids have had allergy problems, and when I've had to eliminate a lot of foods, I'd eat some fish, in part so I had *something* to eat). I agree with the pp that there are other, safer fish to eat (if you do a search here at MDC, you'll come up with some threads with some valuable links and info).

When I have a craving for something that I shouldn't eat or would rather not eat (or want to eat less of), I think about what it is about the food in question that is so desirable. Often, I can think of something else to eat instead. I'd admit that for *me*, the celery and mayo in tuna salad are a big attraction, so if I get the Tuno and Nayonnaise and the celery, I'm fine. (But I may just be a nut.)

The downside of Tuno is that it's definitely more pricey than tuna.

(If you got a chuckle out of Tuno, check out my favorite "analog"... the Veat faux salmon fillet... http://www.veat.com/products.html and scroll to the bottom :LOL )
#6 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 07:59 AM

During my last pg I really craved tuna melt sandwiches & I found that a good chicken melt was able to replace it pretty well.
#7 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 10:24 AM

If you get the canned stuff, I think you are supposed to stay away from the all white kinds, they are higher in mercury.
#8 of 12 Old 09-24-2005, 11:12 AM

One can of chunk light tuna in water a week is okay - especially if you *need* it to satisfy a craving.

Stay away from the albacore tuna - the mercury is higher in that.

I am craving oranges right now - finally a good & healthy craving! LOL
#9 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 11:19 AM

I use Salmon salad more than tuna just because it's better for you and so you might try that. Can be pricey - especailly if you get the hand caught stuff. But with the mayo (I'm into the healthy fake kind) celery, onion et al you might satisfy your craving.
#10 of 12 Old 09-27-2005, 11:42 AM

I've been paranoid about eating fish lately, so I've been searching around for good guides. This one is my favorite. Hope you find it useful.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...ishmercury.htm
#11 of 12 Old 09-30-2005, 02:42 PM

My cousin told me she buys this canned tuna fish taken only from baby tuna's which have significantly less mercury. (Fish become more toxic the bigger they are because of the other fish they eat..) If I find the website, I'll post it...

Kate
#12 of 12 Old 10-20-2005, 05:00 PM

I feel for you - it's tough to crave something you don't feel you should eat. I have been vegetarian my whole adult life and this pg have gone back to eating turkey because I'm craving it soooooo badly (thank goodness for natural foods stores with natural stuff). But I wouldn't eat tuna. I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page