Anyone NOT taking a prenatal vitamin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's not an outright decision for me, I just keep forgetting to take my vitamins. And it's not even a prenatal, just a one a day.

I'm relying on my diet to get what I need, although I do get worried that that's not enough.

So, has anyone decided not to take vitamins?

And also, if you do take them, what is your favorite?
#2 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 03:09 PM

Yay! I finally have some time to post!

I have never taken prenatal vitamins for the first trimester (my stomach could just not handle them). If I try taking one, it is a guaranteed puke.

I start taking them when my nausea/vomitting start to decrease ( usually 13-14 weeks). Preg #2 wasn't before 20 weeks.

My favorite kind, because they don't have too much iron and are easily digestible (I'm very sensitive to vitamins, sometimes they just stay put in my stomach and I feel them hours later) are Materna (made by centrum). I have a friend who had no nausea or vomitting unless she took a prenatal, so she didn't take any her whole pregnancy and her baby is cute and healthy regardless.
#3 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Yeah, I have the same experience with vitamins. And that's why I take mine at night (with a snack of course). I hate taking them, but I do feel they make me feel healthier overall and have less of the negative effects of pregnancy. So I do feel it's worth it.
#4 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I have been skipping them when I feel crappy. But otherwise I take them every day. I know that my diet isn't all it should be right now, as much as I try - we are pretty broke, and have been scraping to make it work. That coupled with the fact that there have been days when I can only get one or two bites in me before i feel like throwing up, mean that I haven't been eating much either.

I like the Maternal Symmetry ones. they have some good stuff in them, and they are capsules, which I really like.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 26 Old 10-08-2005, 07:51 PM

I'm not an April '06 mom but saw this in New Posts... anyway I did not take a prenatal regularly. but DS came out just fine - as did my milk supply.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#6 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 04:53 AM

I'm taking a folic acid and B6 (this for the m/s) as the prenatal was making me too sick. I will probably switch back to the prenatal when the nausea has gone
#7 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 10:27 AM

I don't take them at all. I hate always being the one to say something offbeat & controversial, but I don't take them b/c my dd's neurologist told me that the high amount of folic acid in them (and any mega vitamin) *can* do harm to the baby past the 4th/5th week of pregnancy when the neural tube closes. My dd has a combination of developmental delays and although no one can tell us for sure why (I suspect u/s but that's in another thread already) the neurologist claimed that some of her gross motor skill delays could possibly be attributed to the excess folic acid I got during her pg by taking vitamins. He said what most of us already know - that it's far better to get your vitamins by actually eating them in the form of healthy food - and that if you know you're deficient in one (or more) vitamin in particular, take just that one (not a mega). Anyway, that's why I don't do it. I hope I don't get jumped all over this time for sharing my experience. I don't have resources to back this up - just what he told me.

ETA: Everything grain-wise is fortified in the U.S. now with folic acid. Eating a bowl of cereal a day, a sandwich, a green salad, etc. should provide most, if not all, of what you need in your diet. I don't think it's a difficult vitamin to come by w/o taking a supplement anymore.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 12:24 PM

I highly recommend the Rainbow Light prenatal vitamins. They have ginger in them and actually soothed my stomach. Might as well get a vitamin that helps with queasiness and constipation while you are at it. RL does both.

XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#9 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 12:27 PM

love_homebirthing,
my only caution is that I don't think we get THAT much nutrients from our food as we used to 50 years ago. Minerals and vitamins have been stripped from the soil due to crummy farming practices, etc. I read somewhere that you'd have to eat something like 10+ bowls of spinach to equal the nutritional content of one bowl of spinach from the 1950s. But I can't verify thats true.

Just a reason why I continue to take vitamins. I also think its important to take a "whole food" vitamin like Rainbow Light for a higher absorption rate. Most vitamins are pretty ineffective because they have a low absorption rate.

Just my two cents, but I think its a valid point you have and worth considering. Esp. people who eat terribly and rely on the vitamin to do it all.

XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#10 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM

I haven't been taking them because they make me throw up.
I've just been trying to eat healthy and have been taking my regular multi-vitamin when I remember. My midwife said not to stress out about it if I can't keep vitamins down, so I'm not going to (stress).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#11 of 26 Old 10-09-2005, 06:21 PM

I've been dealing with hyperemesis... when I take the drugs, I definitely take the vitamins, because I know I can keep them down. But I've been trying to take the Zofran as infrequently as I can get away with, so there are days I just don't take the vitamins... just looking at some things scares me :LOL . I don't feel terribly guilty... as far as I'm concerned, I'm in survival mode right now. I know I'll be more consistant when I feel better.
#12 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 10:06 AM

No prenatals right now... they make me so sick! I was recommended the Rainbow Lite ones. Now I just have to drive to the Whole Food market to get it. Its not very close and I get car sick, so that's a big deal to me.

My m/w told me not to worry too much. He said that my body will make sure the baby gets what it needs and that the vit is really for me. I'm hoping that I'll be less tired once I start taking one. I am following the Brewer's Diet, so I'm getting a lot of fresh organic foods, so I feel like I'm already getting a good balance of nutrition like love_homebirthing explained.

#13 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 PM

No prenatals right now, either. My OB said I don't have to take them until the 20th week of pregnancy, so I'm just taking a regular multivitamin + folic acid supplement. The one time I tried a prenatal in my first trimester, I was sooooooo sick that day (even though I'm not sure if it was the morning sickness or the prenatal that caused the nausea), so I'm a little wary of starting them up in a few weeks.
#14 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 02:33 PM

i'm FINALLY getting the to be relieved of morning sickness ... even so, i tend to forget to take the vitamins that i DO have ... my doctor said that because i'm so young, i shouldn't NEED a prenatal vitamin. my theory is however, that due to my age, i SHOULD be taking them ... i'm not sure if this helps AT all ... thanks for listening anyhow!!
#15 of 26 Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM

Love_homebirthing, I have read this info from you before and it has always stuck with me. I too am wary of vitamin/mineral supplementation (unless a clear deficiency is present -- in my case, I am very low in iron right now so I am taking a natural whole-food supplement). Anyway, I have wondered about how are bodies respond when we give them supplements they might not need. For example, I wonder if it throws off the balance of other nutrients; so much of our health comes from things being in balance. And folic acid is already in so many foods I commonly eat. I really appreciate your perspective on this -- I know it can be hard to go against the grain (pun intended! )
#16 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hate taking my vitamins and "forget" regularly. I'll actually look at them and think, "I'll take them later" and I do this 3-4 times a day before eventually forgetting. It doesn't help matters that I get a special kind from my chiropractor and it has 3 different pills that I take 2 times a day. In conjunction with my EFA pills that I take 2, 2 times a day, I get really sick of taking pills. Oh well.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#17 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Adina, I can so relate! Due to finances at present my diet is very greatly lacking. I'm just taking the regular GNC vitamins~when I remember! Plus the tea my midwife says is good for the whole family in that it supplies 100% of your vitamin needs (alfalfa, red raspberry, oatstraw, and nettles). (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#18 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 02:08 PM

ETA: Everything grain-wise is fortified in the U.S. now with folic acid. Eating a bowl of cereal a day, a sandwich, a green salad, etc. should provide most, if not all, of what you need in your diet. I don't think it's a difficult vitamin to come by w/o taking a supplement anymore.[/QUOTE]

Whole grains are not usually fortified. I don't eat the typical Cheerios for breakfast Sara Lee bread for lunch kinda diet and eat mostly whole foods. I know I get plenty of other essential nutrients from eating this way (and not just eating the extras added back in after the good stuff was stripped out). I haven't been as good about eating my dark leafy greens, or a variety of veggies like I normally do lately so I am taking a prenatal vitamin. Since I am still nursing and my pregnancies were somewhat closely spaced, I feel like I need to have a little extra to make sure that I am not depleting my nutrient stores. I take Rainbow Light (which is a whole food vitamin) prenatals and also a purified fish oil supplement. I take a little extra vitamin C a few times a week also. I eat really healthy compared to the average person, and even though I eat organic (which has more nutrients) I still worry that I might be lacking in some areas sometimes. I do forget to take it occasionally, and also don't take it if I'm not feeling well. If I ate more like I did pre-pg on a daily basis, I probably wouldn't take a prenatal vitamin.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#19 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 02:12 PM

I think I get most of what I need, but since I don't eat a green salad absolutely every day and don't eat a lot of fortified foods, and some days am just bad about getting enough fruits and veggies generally (I'm great about protein though, I'm definitely a carnivore) I take one because I know that some days I won't have had the full range of vitamins and minerals I should. I forget a lot, though.
#20 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Titus2Fam - I have that tea too - a friend made it for me. I like it! Maybe I need to drink more of it. I start a job on Friday, so hopefully that will ease the finances up a bit, and I can go to the grocery store more often.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#21 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 02:36 PM

compared to most of you, i feel as though i'm already a horrible parent. you all seem to eat such healthy food and take care to not have anything bad in your diets whatsoever. well ... sometimes, i eat mcdonalds for dinner. it's not as though i can really go out and get the best food in the world ... i have no insurance on my car, so i can't go apply for wic ... i [B]am[B] only 17, and currently living with my aunt. so i can't ask for more than her finances will allow.

i feel so horrible. at times, i'll be eating a chicken baja chalupa from taco bell and be thinking, "and i asked for no tomatoes."

i think this makes me feel even worse that i don't take my prenatal vitamins. i suppose i need them more than most of you, and i'm still not taking them. i HAVE been munching on those flinstones things that a friend brings to school, but i know that's not at all, even close to being all i need. :

any suggestions?
#22 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 03:33 PM
Administrator

I don't eat that well all the time either. But I also have 14 years on you, and that allows me a bit more ability to go out and get my own food, and since I live in my own place with my hubby, it is easier to make sure we eat healthy. Being older means you have more control over your environment.

Try to get in one healthy meal a day to start. Just one good one with fresh veggies, and lean protein, and some good complex carbs.

You are probably a good candidate for a prenatal vitamin, as your aunt to take you to the store or health food store and get some.

And don't worry too much, I had fast food for dinner last night. I even drank half of a coke.:

#23 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliemama
compared to most of you, i feel as though i'm already a horrible parent. you all seem to eat such healthy food and take care to not have anything bad in your diets whatsoever. well ... sometimes, i eat mcdonalds for dinner. it's not as though i can really go out and get the best food in the world ... i have no insurance on my car, so i can't go apply for wic ... i [B]am[B] only 17, and currently living with my aunt. so i can't ask for more than her finances will allow.

any suggestions?
Could you try eating just one semi-balanced meal a day? Or just snack on stuff like grapes, carrots, apples, pears, peanuts, zucchini, whatever throughout the day to supplement the other stuff. It may help a little, and make you feel a little better.

I ate horribly while pregnant with ds (who's now 2yo). I was working in a fast-paced downtown office setting, had a Starbucks hot chocolate for breakfast (with the occasional cereal thrown in), fast food for lunch (a kids meal from Taco Time, Arbys, Subway, Quiznos, etc.) and I'd be so exhausted by the time I got home, I could barely get something frozen into the oven for dinner. Or dh and I would go out to eat. Both those options (ready-made frozen stuff and restaurants) were not good for our pocketbook in the long run. Ds turned out perfect.

Since we had ds, our diet has gotten *lots* better. I made ds's baby food, and he's been eating from our plates (i.e. whatever we eat, he eats) for the last year or so. We didn't want to stuff him with crap, hence the healthier food. Although lately my downfall has been crinkle-cut fries from the local burger joint and ice cream from the new Cold Stone Creamery in town. Nobody's perfect

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#24 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Yeah, and remember, your body will feed baby first, and you second. So you will get shorted more than baby will. Which is bad news for things like your teeth, and bones (make sure you are getting enough calcium!).

Ask for advice whenever you need it! It is tough being pregnant, harder when you are more isolated.

#25 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 05:17 PM

OH Joliemama, don't feel bad. We are a family of five, and we have a budget that allows $200 a month for groceries, cleaning, and personal products. I do what I can, but I'm sure there's much to be desired! (((((HUGS))))) sandi
#26 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 02:50 PM

ya'll are so wonderful!! haha yesterday, i had a package of baby carrots! yay for me hehe well thanks ... and if anyone has additional help they'd like to give me, feel free to pm me.

all my love!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page