At 16 weeks, WHERE IS YOUR UTERUS MEASURING?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I just read something that said my uterus should be half way between my pubic bone and my navel. Well... mine is AT my navel. Could this be because I am on baby #4 or what? Twins? OMG!!

Just wondering where all you 16 weekers are measuring? I haven't had a US yet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 11:41 AM

Pregnancy #6.

Uterus at/slightly above my navel at 16 weeks.

the "Fundal height" things are just averages. Everyone is different, everyone's body structure is different, and once you've had several babies everything is already stretched out, so you tend to show earlier.

For the record, I've measured "ahead" to some degree during every pregnancy including my first, it's become more and more obvious with each child, and I've never had twins despite measuring several centimeters "ahead" each time.

Kathryn
#3 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I am at 15 weeks, and close to midway between top of pubic bone and belly button. This is PG#2 for me. The past week or so, however, I've been really crampy and swear I can feel the uterus growing up. My belly sticks out more above my Belly button, however - I think all of my organs have already migrated north to make room. WHo knows!

I heard that GENERALLY, every finger width below the BB you subtract from 20 weeks, and every finger width above you add to 20 weeks, but as already mentioned, these are really general terms, and everyone is going to be different. For me, however, it seems to be pretty accurate.

Not sure if that helps?!
Cheers
#4 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 01:05 PM

15 weeks and halfway to belly button
#5 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 01:11 PM

It's hard for me to tell, since I have all this extra skin there from DS! But I'm pretty sure it's still halfway to my BB. I have a long torso, though. By the end of my 1st pregnancy, at a little over 40 weeks, I measured at 47 weeks! So I carried really high in the end.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#6 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 03:37 PM

Last week, at my 16 week apt, the top of my uterus was right at my belly button. m/w indicated that was just right.

#7 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Ok... this must seem like a silly question to most of you. But how do I measure my uterus? I'm supposed to be able to measure it from poking around on my stomach?

I feel like an imbecile for even asking. :P

If I push down on my stomach, it starts to get hard right above my bellybutton, maybe 1/2" to 1" above (15 weeks).
#8 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM

I'm a midwife, and I don't even know where mine is (too much extra tummy...!). I'm 14+ weeks.

As far as your uterus being at your belly button at 16 weeks, that's perfectly normal, especially for your 4th. But it could be the case for someone having her first too.

Remember that some women will have a shorter uterus with a bigger pooch, some with no pooch and tall uterus, etc. etc. (Like the technical terms?)

In the end, NO ONE will follow the book. Everyone's body is differrent and each pregnancy is different.

Let's remember that and celebrate our beautiful, wonderful pregnant bodies!
#9 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 PM

LOL - my last pregnancy with DS I so followed the book I got teased at every appointment.

Could have graphed my weight gain on a dumb chart from a "What To Expect Book" and my fundal height was to the week.

Then ds was born in the exact 50% for height and weight and head circ.

I tell you - you would think we were conformists!
#10 of 17 Old 10-24-2005, 06:59 PM

I'll be 16 weeks in 2 more days and I'm currently hitting right at the belly button. My mw measured me - just by feel - at my visit when I was exactly 14 weeks and said I was measured about 4 weeks ahead (and that was adjusted since this is my 3rd child - she said about 6 weeks ahead if I were a first timer). I *am* hoping there's twins in there though. However, I did measure several weeks ahead with my last pregnancy - at least once I really started to get big. So who knows!?!?!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 17 Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 AM

I'm 15+weeks and uterus is about 4 fingers below my belly button
#12 of 17 Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 AM

I"ve been wondering about this lately because I've been feeling baby kicks RIGHT under my belly button. When I feel for the top of my uterus, I think it's just under my belly button. Makes sense that I'm feeling baby there then! I'm glad I read this thread, I was thinking I was crazy and that it COULDN'T be that high already!
#13 of 17 Old 10-25-2005, 02:59 PM

15 wks and I'm about 1 Fb (fingerbreadth) below the umblicus. I've always measured "big" at first and then popped out tiny babies. My BIG baby was 5 lb 7 oz.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#14 of 17 Old 10-25-2005, 05:06 PM

we're finding the heartbeat right under my belly button but angled down. The top of my uterus is right at my belly button. I was told it is felt higher because my uterus is anterior. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I guess it could be!!
#15 of 17 Old 10-26-2005, 11:52 AM

Uhhh, now I really feel huge! 14.5 weeks and my uterus is at my bellybutton.

Yipes! Even the doctor said "you're big" yesterday.
#16 of 17 Old 10-26-2005, 01:11 PM

at 17 weeks I am past the bellybutton. Quite normal for more than 1 pregnancy isn't it?
#17 of 17 Old 10-26-2005, 02:57 PM

At 17 weeks, I'm 2 fingers below umbilicus... but my baby is hanging out pretty low according to the midwife this morning.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page