Boosting immune system?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 10-29-2005, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
So I can get my immne system in great shape when I am not pregnant...but am not so clear on how to do it while pregnant....

I am also concerned about it because I am Rh-, which might be silly, but I don't want to do anything that might potentially cause me to be sensitive if I ever manage to get pregnant again....

I am going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, got pretty sick last year as well. There will be three, possibly four, kids there - two who are super healthy, one who is mid-range and one who is prone to colds and ear infections and the like. I caught a hell of a cold last year from him.

Since I am pregnant, I don't want to come home from Thanksgiving with a nasty cold again...but if I do - I am not sure what I can do to treat it. I almost never take cold medicine - just vit. c, echinacea, oscillococcinum(sp?), zinc...and so on. Plus lots of hot tea and citrus juices.

Help?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#2 of 39 Old 10-29-2005, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Adina -

I am RH-, too... Also I have been wondering about all of these things myself! Tell ya what... I have my appt on Wed. I will ask them when I go in these questions and I will let you now what they say! (Especially for me seeing as I have such bad m/s that it has been hard for me to drink my juices as of late!!)

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#3 of 39 Old 11-05-2005, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
So I can get my immne system in great shape when I am not pregnant...but am not so clear on how to do it while pregnant....

I am also concerned about it because I am Rh-, which might be silly, but I don't want to do anything that might potentially cause me to be sensitive if I ever manage to get pregnant again....

I am going to a friend's house for Thanksgiving, got pretty sick last year as well. There will be three, possibly four, kids there - two who are super healthy, one who is mid-range and one who is prone to colds and ear infections and the like. I caught a hell of a cold last year from him.

Since I am pregnant, I don't want to come home from Thanksgiving with a nasty cold again...but if I do - I am not sure what I can do to treat it. I almost never take cold medicine - just vit. c, echinacea, oscillococcinum(sp?), zinc...and so on. Plus lots of hot tea and citrus juices.

Help?
The Rh sensitivity is an interesting issue, because it's an issue of your immune system overreacting.

I'm not sure if you'll notice this, but I got sick a heck of a lot less when I was pregnant than I usually did. I think that you're less likely to come home from Turkey day with a cold. If you do, however, I'd advise things like steamy baths. I use Vicks and SudaCare vaporizers (the really cool, really cheap ones that you plug into the wall), but I think that some people might consider those seriously unnatural.

There's always homeopathy and hot tea. I'm not sure if echinacea is safe for use in pregnancy, though; I'd definately look that one up.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#4 of 39 Old 11-05-2005, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

I thought I might be less likely to get sick too- butmy other friend who also does T-giving with us was pregnant last year, and caught the same thing - I am hoping I won't get it- but I didn't know.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#5 of 39 Old 11-05-2005, 11:22 AM

Lots of Vit C (around 1000 mg total a day). It's good for the amniotic sack too.
#6 of 39 Old 11-05-2005, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Yeah I already take that.

#7 of 39 Old 11-06-2005, 11:22 PM

This may seem crazy, but do you not plan on having the Rhogam shot after delivery?

I had a patient who became Rh sensitized after delivering in another country and did not get the shot. She lost a baby at 22 wks from erythroblastosis fetalis and then during her next pregancy carried to term after having PUBS (fetal intrauterine blood transfusions) weekly. The baby still had severe jaundice.

Is it not a "natural parenting" thing to do? Why?

I'm not being snarky, just curious. I'm Rh +, but would definitely take the shot if I were negative. Of course, I'm not as crunchy as some of y'all. So LMK what your take is.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#8 of 39 Old 11-06-2005, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

A lot of people do not have it. There is some concern over the potential of thimerasol in the shot, and some people don't believe it is neccessary.

It is not always neccessary. If my DH is Rh- - then there is no need. If my baby is RH- there is no need. So, I probably won't be having the 28 week shot - as I don't really see the need, becuase I have not developed anitbodies, nor have I had any instances of spotting, so the liklihood of the blood mixing is very low. The midwives will type the baby's blood after birth and we will go from there.

This is my first pregnancy, so the chances of me being sensitized is pretty low at this point.

I just was more interested in boosting my immune system and if that has an affect when you are RH- and if it could cause problems...

#9 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 11:07 AM

I've always had the Rhogam shot, without a second thought. I knew I wanted at least 3 kids, and it just didn't seem worth the risk to me to *not* have the shot.

As far as immune strengthening... I'd say lots of ginger and garlic. Probiotics, too.
#10 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 11:52 AM

Okay, that makes sense. When I worked postpartum we always did a blood type on the baby if mommy was Rh negative. So we only gave it when baby was positive.

Yeah, I can't imagine how you would be sensitized yet, unless you've had losses in the past. It's not a worry with the first baby, it's the subsequent pregnancies.

That was actually something I always wondered about homebirths. Does the midwife give Rhogam afterwards? Or do you go to your primary care doc?

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#11 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal
Okay, that makes sense. When I worked postpartum we always did a blood type on the baby if mommy was Rh negative. So we only gave it when baby was positive.

Yeah, I can't imagine how you would be sensitized yet, unless you've had losses in the past. It's not a worry with the first baby, it's the subsequent pregnancies.

That was actually something I always wondered about homebirths. Does the midwife give Rhogam afterwards? Or do you go to your primary care doc?
If the state doesn't allow the mw to prescribe it you have to get it elsewhere. If the state allows, then the mw should be able to give it to you.
#12 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 01:15 PM

I'm also RH- and will have the shot after delivery but not at 28weeks

Immune system I dont think is affected by being RH-( let me know if you have info otherwise) my last pregnancy I was super healthy throughout. As far as strenthening it Vit C, Garlic ( use loads when you cook ), onions and of course excersise and fresh air and plenty of relaxation & sleep.
#13 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 PM

I posted after my appt, but I don't know where it went!!

Anyway, my doctor said that the RH doesn't play a part in the immune system to the point where it matters... She said to take lots of C and drink lots of juices that contain vit C. I asked her about the echinacea and she said that it hasn't been proven or not proven to affect the baby, but SHE, personally, wouldn't take it during pregnancy. She said that the flu shot was a personal thing, but she wouldn't take it while pregnant due to the mercury in it, but that was just her. (I told her I wasn't getting it anyway, due to that and the fact that when I was working in a hotel and I took it, both yers I took it I have never been so sick witht the flu!! LOL)

And as far as the Rhogam shot, I had it with my DD at 28w and I plan to with this one as well... I am RH- and DH is RH+, so I don't want to take the chance! (DD is Rh- so I didn't have to have it after birthing...)

Anyway, that's what I was told last week!!

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#14 of 39 Old 11-07-2005, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

There is a good post from Momtezuma Tuatara in the Vax board - on the thread "mypg friend got the flu shot" regarding the Rhogam shot.

Since we don't know what RH DH is, and this is myfirst pregnancy, and truthfully, I have no idea if I will ever be pregnant again, I have had no spotting, and the last blood test said no antibodies were present, I feel pretty comfortable not getting the shot till after birth.

My midwife orders it and brings it by the house on the day2 visit I believe. Funny thing is - we don't even need to have my midwife give it! Dh has done about 3 months worth of intramuscular shots on me, and we are pretty comfy with it. So all that has to happen is the midwife getting the drug...we can do the rest. Of all the silly things.

Good to know that boosting immune system doesn't affect RH stuff. I guess it wouldn't unless your blood had already mixed with baby's huh?

Garlic and vit c and zinc it is! Thanks Kerri!

#15 of 39 Old 11-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm RH neg. also, and my DH gave blood so he could find out his blood type (he's neg. as well). I see no need for me to get the shot.

My immune system seems to be extra boosted, though, because my allergies have been ATROCIOUS. I'm dying here without my antihistimines.

Mary
#16 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilushka
Lots of Vit C (around 1000 mg total a day). It's good for the amniotic sack too.
I was told 1000 mg was way too much and contraindicated during pg -- not just first trimester?

I'm confused...and will ask my m/w about this on Wednesday

To the OP: I've been trying to find ways to boost mine too prior to flying to visit my SIL at Christmas -- her son is always sick and I've gotten some feedback on Zicam and alcohol-gels for your hands, too.

I'll try to remember to post here what my m/w says about the Vit C and Zinc after my visit this week.

But you're not alone in not wanting to get sick!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#17 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Vitamin C is water soluble - truthfully - if you take too much....and are staying hydrated - out it goes.

1000mg is what I have been taking daily. More if I feel funky. I usually don't go above 3000mg when I am not pg.

Keep drinking the water and away it should go if you have too much in your system.

Keep in mind that the RDA of 60mg/day is only enough to prevent scurvy! Not enough to keep you healthy!!!!!

I am seeing my OB on Wednesday, I can double check with him.

Again, do you research and make a choice that feels right for you!!!

#18 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 08:49 AM

Sorry to bring this back to the Rh thing, but Adina you mentioned not knowing if your dh was Rh- or not. Isn't the + or - thing just whether or not your blood type is + or - (like A+ vs. A-)? I thought so but I'm never sure since I haven't had to deal with this issue (both dh & I are O+ so our kids will always be too). Anyway, seems simple enough to find out and (potentially) put your mind completely at ease if that's the case.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#19 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
I was told 1000 mg was way too much and contraindicated during pg -- not just first trimester?

I'm confused...and will ask my m/w about this on Wednesday

To the OP: I've been trying to find ways to boost mine too prior to flying to visit my SIL at Christmas -- her son is always sick and I've gotten some feedback on Zicam and alcohol-gels for your hands, too.

I'll try to remember to post here what my m/w says about the Vit C and Zinc after my visit this week.

But you're not alone in not wanting to get sick!
I asked my mw and she said 10,000mg was when it is dangerous. Up to 3000 is fine.
#20 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 01:17 PM

I guess the confusion comes into play when it's on top of what I'm already taking in prenatal and food sources?

Thanks for the clarification -- will still chat with m/w on it Wed.

Thanks

#21 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
I guess the confusion comes into play when it's on top of what I'm already taking in prenatal and food sources?

Thanks for the clarification -- will still chat with m/w on it Wed.

Thanks
I think it's 10,000 mg altogether. If I have taken my supp plus eaten a lot of vit C rich food I usually take no more than 500mg of extra vit C. On days I know I haven't had much Vit C from food I will take 1000.
#22 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
Sorry to bring this back to the Rh thing, but Adina you mentioned not knowing if your dh was Rh- or not. Isn't the + or - thing just whether or not your blood type is + or - (like A+ vs. A-)? I thought so but I'm never sure since I haven't had to deal with this issue (both dh & I are O+ so our kids will always be too). Anyway, seems simple enough to find out and (potentially) put your mind completely at ease if that's the case.
Yeah, he is planning on getting tested to see what his blood type is. Not a big deal, quick and easy blood test.

I am not worried about it frankly, we are going to have the baby's blood tested after birth so I will have the Rhogam if baby is + and if baby is negative...no need!

I was more interested in whether or not doing things toboost my immune system would up the potential risk for being Rh-. Make sense?

#23 of 39 Old 11-29-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I was more interested in whether or not doing things toboost my immune system would up the potential risk for being Rh-. Make sense?
Yep - I was just curious if that's all the Rh factor was!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#24 of 39 Old 11-30-2005, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Yep - that's all it is. Funny that something so simple can freak people out so much.

#25 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 03:47 AM

This isn't about the RH thing (sorry I can't be helpful there -- I'm RH+ and clueless), but just general immune boosting info. Here's my update since I said I'd post it

Saw midwife today -- she concurred w/you, aprilushka, about the Vitamin C thing -- it's pretty difficult to overdo it at this stage in pregnancy, she said (esp. given the amount of water we're supposed to be drinking), and she said the Zicam is absolutely safe and fine both as a short term preventative and as treatment.

She did tell me the anti-bac lotions and gels are bad though, not for baby (you'd have to basically bathe yourself in them nonstop I think), but for us, since they remove the beneficial bacteria from our hands that actually help to protect us from other people's germs.

So her recommendations for boosting your immune system were: washing your hands often with non-anti-bac soaps, taking Vit C and zinc, drinking lots of water and getting lots of sleep. (And eating sensibly, of course.)

Okay -- back to the RH discussion. Pardon the hijack

#26 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 06:52 AM

Quote:
A lot of people do not have it. There is some concern over the potential of thimerasol in the shot, and some people don't believe it is neccessary.
*quiet scream* There is no more thimerosal in the Rhogam shot. Hasn't been since 2002, and all the lots made with it have expired. I really want that information to get out there, because I've seen so much needless misinformation about this on these boards. If there other Rhogam issues, fine, but mercury isn't one of them. (I"m not trying to insinuate that *you* were trying to spread misinformation- I've just seen it around here quite a bit, and I'm not even a long time poster on here.)

I think even the most "crunchy" -but reasonable- of people on here (I'm crunchy too) would get the shot if they had a baby that was Rh positive! Not doing it, I think, would be a devistating decision. (A decision that's in line with, say, thinking you can change your blood type with diet- so totally off base one wonders where such wacko info comes from.) However, the 28 week shot is a different issue- it's more of a "protective" shot in case any blood mixing happens between that one and the end of the pregnancy. Since Rhogam does have a small risk, some people may decide that they don't want that shot. It's a very different situation than not getting the shot right after birth.

If you've had spotting, that can change the issue, and make it much more important to get that protective shot. But as the previous poster mentions, if there has been no spotting, and you're not at higher risk (i.e. travelling outside of the country or to a place where it would be hard to get the shot if something bad happens), it's not necessarly a crystal clear decision. Getting the shot after birth if you do have a Rh+ baby really should be a crystal clear decision, unless you are being sterilized to have no more children ever. Sometimes people forget what the actual risks are to not getting that shot, perhaps?
#27 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary
I'm RH neg. also, and my DH gave blood so he could find out his blood type (he's neg. as well). I see no need for me to get the shot.

My immune system seems to be extra boosted, though, because my allergies have been ATROCIOUS. I'm dying here without my antihistimines.

Mary
I am VERY jealous. (I'm neg, he's positive). But, I hear you on the allergies- mine have been terrible as well, and now, they have led to my old friend, the sinus infection. Which I am desperately treating with steam, gross saltwater sinus lavage, plain non-zinc zincam nasal moisturizer (my new favorite thing), non-crazy amounts of vit. C, and rhinochort. I'm resistant to all the pg-friendly antibiotics, and I'm terrified I"ll have to go on them. Anyway, sorry, I"m going all off topic.

I think a lot of people have good advice on here about boosting the immune system. I'd add anything that reduces stress. If you can afford massage therapy, DEFINITELY try it. (I'd be getting it ever week if I could afford it, and hopefully will start again soon). Water exercise may also be great, prenatal yoga, and definitely fresh air- keeping your nose warm, though! An interesting recent study from the UK directly linked NOSE TEMPERATURE with likelyhood of... getting cold symptoms! Everyone in the study got the cold virus, but mainly (by far) the cold nose people developed the cold symptoms. It was really interesting. Last year was the first year I never got sick, and it's also the first year I cycled to work year-round and wore a head mask with integrated nosewarmer. Hmmm.

Does anyone here do meditation to help their immune system? Any advice for a total novice never-before-meditated person? I think that might be a very good idea as well. -j
#28 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM

When I started bleeding with the first pregnancy (at 9.5 weeks, adn kept on bleeding for 10 long weeks), I was 1 hour drive from the hospital, without a car, at a conference. I called DH at his parent's place on the coast and made him go to the emergency room to get a blood test. I am RH- and he kept promising to find out and didn't. So he had to let me know, I thought, to determine if I needed the shot or not. Finally he said he would go.

It took 1 hour of asking several people and practically begging someone to take me to the hospital! before I could get someone to take me to the local outpatient clinic and get the shot. It turned out that DH was +, so I needed the shot. The hospital he went to on the coast said they were going to bill him for determining his blood type, but we have yet to get a bill (2 1/2 years later!). It was a mess, and just one of the many dramatic moments from the pregnancy.

I would get it again this time, and I think it is routine at 20-something weeks. I do not want to jeopardize my chances of having another child at some point just because I was not able to get the shot. I am so glad it exists now, unlike a few generations ago, and couples like me and DH have one less thing to worry about.

Mama to bikenew.gifBoots (April 2006) and Bolt.gifPebbles (November 2008).Wife to :treehugger.gif and mama to angel3.gifHeather, October 2003

#29 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Whoa....I was answering a question about why people wouldn't get it....and that is a reason I have heard...it is NOT my reason - hence the after the statement.

I have already stated that in fact, if baby is + I will get it. I am not getting the 28 week shot, because I have had no spotting, there are no antibodies present and I don't want another damn shot.

If baby is - or DH is -, then there will be no shot.

I think that each person does what they feel is right for them. There is a lot of conflicting info out there about just about every shot know to man kind. You do the research, and you do what you need to. For me, the 28 week shot feels wrong. After all the research and all the reading - it isn't something I want to do.

Please be gentle about calling people whacked. Please don't assume that people are dumb or crazy because they have a different view. I appreciate that this is my first pregnancy, but I do know how to read, and I do do my homework when I havve questions. At the end of the day, I do know what I want to do and why. Asking questions on this board is a form of research as well...not asking to be lectured.

Now back on topic y'all....this is about boosting the immune system.

#30 of 39 Old 12-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Please be gentle about calling people whacked. Please don't assume that people are dumb or crazy because they have a different view. I appreciate that this is my first pregnancy, but I do know how to read, and I do do my homework when I havve questions. At the end of the day, I do know what I want to do and why. Asking questions on this board is a form of research as well...not asking to be lectured.

Now back on topic y'all....this is about boosting the immune system.
Are you referring to my post? I didn't call anyone whacked, dumb or crazy (if you got that out of it, I didn't say it)! I did say the theory about changing blood type with diet is whacko, and that's because it is . It doesn't mean that people led to believe it are whacko- just poorly informed.

Actually, I was sort of explaining and defending your decision to not get the 28-week shot, even though it is standard of care. Putting out information is helpful -not lecturing- especially when you don't have the time to go through everything.. and neither do the rest of us . Using the boards for research would be useless if we didn't help each other out with what we knew, and someone had asked about the shot who didn't seem to understand the difference between the 28- week one and the after birth one. I didn't know ANY of this before I got pregnant, and I myself find it very useful and informative when people post useful information!

Anyway, back to immunity- I think you were concerned that there was a link between Rh- to your immune system overreacting, but there is *not*. Other things are certainly related to overreactive immune systems, like lupus, but the Rh issue is just one of blood biology. The immune system is actually not *overreacting* in that case- it's reacting normally to something that doesn't belong.

It's funny- I always wondered why I got so sick when I have such bad allergies (allergies=overreactive immune system, right?!). I think there is a difference between your true immunity, and how that immunity *expresses* itself in abnormal ways. I think those things are actually sort of different. I think nothing but good can come from boosting your natural immunity, and I think we all find that a challenge during the winter! Personally, I think exercise first, and stress reduction second (which of course is also linked to the exercise) are the best immunity boosters around. -j

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page