Names, names, names - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never really understood why people feel the need to comment on parents' choices in names. I really think it's just rude. I just don't get it.

MIL hates Iris and is not shy about saying so. I find it so IRRITATING! But of course she tells everyone but us, so we hear it through the grapevine. Pretty passive-aggressive, which is par for the course with her. :
#32 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenais10
I never really understood why people feel the need to comment on parents' choices in names. I really think it's just rude. I just don't get it.

MIL hates Iris and is not shy about saying so. I find it so IRRITATING! But of course she tells everyone but us, so we hear it through the grapevine. Pretty passive-aggressive, which is par for the course with her. :
UGH! That's horrible. Sorry. Iris is a beautiful name. And it's my mother's favorite flower.
#33 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM

We have a girl name picked out, but no boy name. We're technically not sharing, just because I dont want to hear anyone say anything "bad" about it until its too late for them to feel they can comment. I have told a few friends, though.

I have gotten pushed a bit... and I expect to be pushed a lot this weekend. Must have good answer for MIL about not sharing.... Hmmm...
#34 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy
I have gotten pushed a bit... and I expect to be pushed a lot this weekend. Must have good answer for MIL about not sharing.... Hmmm...
"Golly gee, we just don't know yet!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpin
Iris is a beautiful name. And it's my mother's favorite flower.
Thanks, hairpin!
#35 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I think we know first names.

Not sure on middle names.

Not ready to share yet.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#36 of 59 Old 11-09-2005, 05:37 PM

Definitely have a girl's name (the first and two middle -- one for my grandmother, the second for the meaning).

In trouble if it's a boy . Dh has a name picked out that I used to like but is now waaaaay to common (there are three at the playgroup we go to), but he says because we are homeschooling it won't matter! I have a bunch of boys names that I like but dh really seems to have a problem with for no other reason than they are too "weird" (but actually very mainstream).

Anyway, I get a little stressed every so often when I think about the prospect of having a "hey you" if it's a boy! But maybe it will be a girl and all of this will be for naught. We'll see . . . !

As far as the sharing of the names goes, we keep pretty hush-hush. So far, most people have respected (with this pg and others) the "oh we save that for after the baby is born" bit.
#37 of 59 Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgal
We are on the search for Irish boy names, something unusual but not hard to pronounce. One I came across was

Carrig (Care-ig) it is the Irish form of Craig

It may be a bit too unusual though, thoughts?

Karrick is our choice for a boy-middle name though.
CLose to Carrig--do you think they are the same?

I have an Irish baby name book but someone is borrowing it-when I get it back I'll share

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#38 of 59 Old 11-11-2005, 07:42 PM

Our little one already has a name... Joshua Ryan
#39 of 59 Old 11-15-2005, 01:28 AM

We're not telling friends or family, but I don't mind on-line people.

We either just tell them we're not telling, or DH has taken to telling everyone the baby will be named after them. i.e. If Bryan asks us, DH tells him that we're naming the baby Bryan if it's a boy. If Josh asks us, DH tells him that we're naming the baby Josh, etc. lol.

We've got it down to two for boys.

Jackson Magallanes or Griffin Beckett
-all four names are for family.

For a girl, we've got no idea. But it'll be one of the following...

Hallie Grace Elisabeth
Elisabeth Grace "Ellie"
Grace Elisabeth "Gracie"
Brighton Grace Elisabeth
-Grace and Elisabeth are for family. Both Brighton and Hallie have special meaning to DH & I.
#40 of 59 Old 11-15-2005, 10:00 AM

how do you pronounce this: Magallanes

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#41 of 59 Old 11-17-2005, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I think I was always just really honest with people and explained that we both felt that only dh & I should pick our child's name, and we know that if we share our choices, people will comment (good or bad) or give some kind of look and it will influence us - perhaps just on a subconscious level - but still. And we really wanted the name choice to be just ours. This way we protected ourselves - kept us true to our feelings and not to others. And believe me, people still felt free to share their feelings, but at least then the name was written in stone (or, well, the birth certificate at least ).
I so totally agree with you. We aren't telling anyone due to this reason (and my brother is a particular jerk about serving out the judgment). At least once they are born, people usually won't say "oh, that's a terrible name", and if they DO, I'd have every right to get really, really mad.

We're having his parents make a list of vetoes, in case there is someone really bad they don't want it named after. That way, they don't know what we're thinking. And one of their vetoes is the same as one of our vetoes, which is sort of funny.

In the meantime, you can think of the worst name you've ever heard and tell people that's what you're thinking of, just to see their reactions. I won't give any suggestions, though, because knowing me, someone on here will have that name. Just use your imagination.
#42 of 59 Old 11-26-2005, 05:18 PM

we found out that we are having a boy a few weeks ago - however we had a girl name picked out too before that - so here's both of them:

joshua ryan (boy)
elliana rose (girl)
#43 of 59 Old 11-26-2005, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama
We shared Miles' name from the moment we told we were PG, and 2 other people ended up using it right before/after us. I just can't think it was a coincedence?!
In fairness, Miles isn't exactly obscure. I love the name, but I wouldn't assume they stole it. A lot of people choose the name Miles....because its so rad of course!

XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#44 of 59 Old 11-28-2005, 02:43 AM

We have settled on David "unless we think of something better", not that either of us is looking. David is the only other name we considered for Ben, I had dream before I was pg in which we had a baby we named David, I made a big list and we narrowed it down to David. I think we're done here. The middle name is Charles in honor of 3 grandfathers.

We have no girl name. The baby is supposed to be a boy, so we aren't stressing over it, but really, not a single one. If we have a surprise girl she will be "Baby Girl T" because we have NOTHING.

I've mentioned the name David, and everyone likes it, but I've taken to saying that we are pretty sure, but not totally decided. No one has questioned me beyond that. I actually thought ppl would say "on what?" but no one has.
#45 of 59 Old 11-28-2005, 01:00 PM

So far the only name we have come up with for boys is Cameron. When dh first brought it up, I didnt know babies gender yet and I said I liked it for a girl. Well,, now that it has grown on me, dh isn't so sure because he doesnt like that it can be a boy or girl name. Sean was named on the way to the hospital, so I wont be surprised if this one is named after he is born I am just sick of being asked what his name is all the time. My il's are the worst and they also seem to think that they have input on it. Last time, my mil was really trying to persuade us to use a family name I wasn't thrilled with and so I just flat out said well if it means that much to you, why didnt you use it? DH's first name was something they just chose because they liked, not after anyone. It kept her quiet for a few minutes
#46 of 59 Old 11-28-2005, 05:56 PM

We really think we are having a boy so as of right now we just have first names for boys. I have my u/s the 6th of December, and hope to find out the sex of baby #2.
Ty
Cole
Jack
#47 of 59 Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM

Well, since everyone knows the sex of the baby (girl), we have decided that this time we won't share the name until the birth. But I am OK sharing it online for some reason... weird! I just really don't want my family to know.

It doesn't really matter to me if someone outside the family has the same name as my dd... we will be moving soon, so I don't think it would be a problem. Plus I think it's kind of cool when I run into other kids with the same name as my dd, maybe b/c you don't hear it much? (Her name is Charlotte btw.)

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#48 of 59 Old 11-29-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchier
We have no girl name. The baby is supposed to be a boy, so we aren't stressing over it, but really, not a single one. If we have a surprise girl she will be "Baby Girl T" because we have NOTHING.

I've mentioned the name David, and everyone likes it, but I've taken to saying that we are pretty sure, but not totally decided. No one has questioned me beyond that. I actually thought ppl would say "on what?" but no one has.
In case you really like the name David and baby turns out to be a girl...I met a woman recently named Davida, which I thought was pretty cool (pronounced Dah-vee-da).
#49 of 59 Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM

We're pretty much decided
(we are using E and I from the 1st initials of each of our deceased father's names, jewish tradition - we couldn't agree on which to use, so we;re using/honoring both!)

Boy: Izak Emery
Girl: Echo Iris

It actually means 4 names as we don't hyphenate our last name (will add THayer Greenberg to the above). DS #1 is Dylan Thayer (my last name) Greenberg (DH last name)

Of course, we could change our minds in the next 20 weeks!
#50 of 59 Old 11-30-2005, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP
In fairness, Miles isn't exactly obscure. I love the name, but I wouldn't assume they stole it. A lot of people choose the name Miles....because its so rad of course!

XOXO
Beth

Miles is our name choice for this babe! It is a fabulous name!

DD and I were at the park where we met another mama and her dd's name was Anna, too. Our dd's are only a month apart. So, a little while later I heard telling another mama how she was disappointed that there was another Anna, and that she thought it was such a unique name. Of course, she said this all within earshot of me. So, I was like, "Really? Anna?" It certainly ISN'T a unique name, although I love it. Kind of odd.
#51 of 59 Old 11-30-2005, 02:15 PM

we know its a boy and i think we are stuck on JACK! i wanted something with one syllable no more then two. right now my girls names are a mouthful. SIERRA, ADDISON, KENDALL. we have to have a J name since husband is Jay Joseph, grandpa John Joseph, great grandpa is Jack Joseph. i wanted something a little different. my favorites were. Javin, Jagger, Jase but DH wasnt going for that and his top name was Jerimiah which i wasnt wanting because it was too long. Jack joseph is our compromise. i just have to get used to it but i find myself calling the baby Jack in my head and outloud so it must be right.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#52 of 59 Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 PM

Just found out we are having a girl. I'm down to Thora and Olive.
#53 of 59 Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 PM

Since we met her in our u/s our little one finally has a name: Sydney Dyanne Rapp

Dyanne was my husbands sisters middle name. She passed away a few years ago. We were very close & I wanted her to be "with" our little one.

My mother is furious "I chose to end her tradition" of the middle name Ann. What's funny is that my grandmother used Ann as my mothers middle name, but not my aunts. Apparently my mother giving me her own middle name constitutes a sacred "tradition."

Meh. Sorry for the negative mother venting. I think I had a little too much of her today! She never ceases to push my buttons!

One thing is for sure: Syd will be free to name her little one whatever she pleases, even if it's Sunshine Moonbeam Fairydust

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#54 of 59 Old 12-01-2005, 01:54 PM

I am more of a lurker here, but we just decided on our names recently.
My first is named Cole Andrew,our second is named Shyanne Amber and this is our 3rd and last baby.

So if it's a boy we will name him Elliot not sure of mn
And, if it's a girl we will name her Rhiannon not sure of mn either.

We don't plan to find out what the baby is until birth, we did find out with our previous two but we want our last to be something different
#55 of 59 Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 PM

We are thinking for a boy:

Greydon
Oliver
Levi

Not really into girl names yet, but we'll find out on Wed. if it is a boy or girl so I'll think of some if it is...
#56 of 59 Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM

i've thought for a while that this is a boy, but we have only agreed on a girl's name: Rebecca. I like it shortened to Becca.

I love the name Matthew for a boy, but DH thinks it is too common, and wants smething more distinctive.

While we have settled on a girl's first name for now, this may likely change, because we both want to meet the new family member before saddling him/her with a name

Mama to bikenew.gifBoots (April 2006) and Bolt.gifPebbles (November 2008).Wife to :treehugger.gif and mama to angel3.gifHeather, October 2003

#57 of 59 Old 12-08-2005, 09:11 AM

There are some great names here.

Since we're almost 90% sure our baby will be a girl (German doctors don't like to be 100% positive about anything regarding the gender before the birth) we've chosen a girl's name. Since our first dd's name is Catarina, we've decided to stick with the 'Russian' tradition' and go with

Natasha Rose

Now all we have to do is discuss the spelling, because the English, French (dh is French) and German spellings are all different. Dh want to spell it: Natacha.

So we've got some discussing to do! We asked dd for her input, and she likes the name. She now says to us: 'My little sister is called Natasha'. Too cute! We've asked her to keep it a surprise from friends and family. We'll see how long that lasts...

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#58 of 59 Old 12-15-2005, 11:08 PM

We're having a time coming up with the right name for "baby brother." There have been 5 boy cousins on dh's side and 6 on my side, so there aren't many good names left.
DS is named Nathan, but called Nat, both for dh's grandfather. We *adore* the name Nat and want something equally cool for Brother.
The short list of the moment:
Isaac -- call him Ike
Abraham -- call him Bram (not dh's favorite because his name starts with "Br" as well)
Oren -- call him Ori
Walker -- well, he'd just be Walker

We've also toyed with names to give us nicknames like Mack, Gil, Ned, etc.

Ugh. This should be fun, not maddening.
#59 of 59 Old 12-17-2005, 03:17 AM

A spring name for a boy-- How about Aviv? Aviva is Hebrew for "spring" . Oh, or "Sylvan/Sylvanus" which means woods/wooded area... actually, I've got a lot of spring boy-names in my mind...

My kids each have a Hebrew name (which we use) and an English name. My goal was for the English names to be interesting but not terribly popular, and meaningful if possible.

I'm Jewish, so it was very important for me not to name the children after people who are still alive. This actually worked out really well for me, because I *loathe* FILs name and Mike kind of wanted to use it. It also eliminates a lot of names from our list, because in Mike's families a lot of the men have Juniors and even III's. I'm kind of glad that Mike is with me on this point; it eliminates any discussion of the name "Elmer," among many others.

Mike is German, of Amish/Mennonite descent. He's attracted to the most unbelievably boring names. How a guy named Michael could be interested in giving his kid the modern equivalent of Jennifer or Jason for a name is beyond me... but he is. However, being of Amish/Mennonite descent, he's not totally freaked out by the sound of Hebrew names, which is cool, and he's familiar with some of the less common biblical names.

At any rate: BeanBean's Hebrew name is very, very common and it's the original form of a very common English name but because we hang out with a bunch of goyim, it sounds exotic and cool most of the time. It's also a name that's *so* common and familiar in Hebrew that lots and lots of people avoid it unless they're naming for a specific relative. When people heard BeanBean's name (like I said, we use the Hebrew) from me, they asked "Where did you come up with that?" Because I'm not white, many people ASSumed that I made it up. : Simply saying, "It's Hebrew" was enough to shut most of them up. His English name is less common, but still easy to pronounce and spell and it's not totally unfamiliar to people ("did you make that up?" ). Oh, and BeanBean's Hebrew name has an extra name that's not on his birth certificate because he was a NICU baby (one of those superstitious protective things).

BooBah's Hebrew name is, like her brother's, extremely common; in fact, I think that her name is probably more popular with this generation (Jewish names tend to follow generational cycles, because children are often named for recently deceased relatives in large clusters). Her English name was quite uncommon in children her age outside of the Amish community, but is now rapidly climbing... I'm seeing it *everywhere* and have in fact seen it in at least two posts in this forum!! : It's driving me crazy, truth to tell.. I have a feeling that her name is going to be the Emma of the next few years. I guess I feel better about having one in 2004 who was named for a specific person than I would about having one later (think Jennifer in 1965 vs. Jennifer in 1980) but it's still bothering me. :

As to baby #3: Mike is totally set on one particular girl's name. I'm okay with it, but I'd rather choose after we see the baby. He's totally against all of the boy's names that I've suggested, but I think I've come up with a compromise which may make one of my favorites possible. Like I said, though, he likes the most boring names for boys and that drives me up a wall... We'll see.

I'll also admit that some of the names on this thread have made me giggle. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page