Names, names, names - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we had a name thread a while ago but I thought it would be fun to see what ideas everyone has now we are further along as I know ours have all changed

Our agreed list of names we love is very short! Baby will be a suprise so we are having a short list of boy & girl names. These are ours wdyt? mns are not definate yet

Jonah William
Jude Lucas
Luca or Lucas (possiblility but dh not sure!)

Amara Carys
Shanti Madeline
Ayla (pronounced eye-luh)
#2 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 PM

We've had our names picked out from week 1. It didn't take us very long either:
Sadie Madison
Kaleb Jacob-Jakob
#3 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 01:53 PM

FreeSpiritMama - I love the name Ayla! I wanted that to be one of our possible girl names - but DH isn't interested.... :
I like it spelled Isla too. I used to work with a Scottish girl who spelled it that way.

As for our names - we're sort of set for a girl but are having trouble agreeing on a boy's....

Novah
Felice
Glorianna
- we'll most likely use 2 of these in some sort of combination

Von (DH really likes this one)
Jett
Kaden
- I don't mind Von, but we can't think of a middle name to go with. Any ideas mamas?
#4 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks for restarting this thread!

our names so far are
boy: Obediah, Obie for short....no middle name yet
girl: dh refuses to acknowledge it could be a girl, so I am liking Makayla, Lydia,and Neala.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#5 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:00 PM

Our boy name is pretty set...

Bret Edward

Girl name...
Gwendolyn Victoria
or
Emily Madeleine

I love Emily Madeleine, but I know Emily is so popular. I've loved it for years, though, and it's the name of a dear late family friend. So I decided popularity is no reason to discard a good name- I don't even know any baby emily's IRL!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#6 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:01 PM

We choose a Hebrew name first, then attempt to come up with a close(ish) English cognate that can be used for "official" purposes (SS#, health insurance, etc).

I have a girl's name in mind, but dh probably won't like it because it is close (in sound but not in meaning) to his brother's name. We are Ashkenazic Jews, so therefore leery of naming (or looking like we are naming) after someone living.

Boys' names I haven't even started to think about because every time I do I get depressed because I don't like any of them.

I am trying not to get attached to anything because there is no point before we know the gender (Two more weeks!) Although dh announced a couple of nights ago that he doesn't think he wants to know this time. I said, "That's nice. I'm going to find out (if possible, of course!), and if you want to know later I'll tell you."
#7 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:04 PM

We finally agreed on names about a month ago (I think ):

Boy: Alexander Joseph (Alex for a nickname)

Girl: Miriam (Mira for a nickname, I think we'd use that alot) and either Jade or Rose for a middle name.

My DH seems to be absolutely set on Alex and I'm absolutely set on Miriam, so we had to kinda compromise and agree to them or this baby would never have a name! Who knows though, if we find out that we are having a girl he may decide to argue some more I think he does like the name, he is just convinced we are having a boy.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#8 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Oh MY is this a debate in our house! LOL DH and I have VERY different ideas for names!

For our DD, the only thing I knew was that I wanted her to have my (and my grandmother's) middle name Elizabeth... I had suggested Katelyn to him MONTHS before we decided on it... We were driving around and he said "Hey what about Katelyn?" I jumped on it! Ha ha He is all happy thinking it was HIS idea! If she had been a boy, her name would have been Tre Wesley. (Wesley is a BIG thing for me... My grandfather's middle name... DH doesn't have anyone he really wants to name child after...)

As for this one... So far here are the names...

Andre Wesley
Van Wesley (DH doesn't REALLY like the Van, but his grandma's maiden name was Van Orden, so I thought it would be neat...)
But this is all still up for debate! LOL

As for girls....

We have NOTHING! LOL DH likes Natasha, but I DON"T! It reminds me of the chick on Rocky and Bullwinkle and that little purple monster on Sesame Street who blows raspberries all the time! LOL I like Anne for a middle name after a very dear friend of ours who never had children but has "adopted" us and Katelyn calles her 'Grandma Anne'... But, that could change depending on what first name we choose! *I* Like Avery, Kimberly, and Victoria... We will see! I guess we still have a few months to decide!! LOL

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#9 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:13 PM

Boy: Caspar
Girl: Poppy
Olive
Skye
#10 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:34 PM

If its a boy: Mathew James
And if its a girl who knows. We cannot seem to decide on any.

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#11 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 02:47 PM

We as a rule don't discuss names with ANYONE (not even online), so I won't be sharing till the baby is born. (Besides, at the pace we go, it will be early April before we have a name). I just wanted to say that there are many lovely names on this thread, though.

I'll just share some of where we come from on names and some of our difficulties... Let's see... we tend to like names where the gender is clear (apparently, children like names like that, too). We tend to like longer names that have nicknames, if the child so desires. We tend to like old fashioned names. We tend to only be able to come up with joke names for *months* (my latest... Misty Dawn... does anyone else think this combo is as wacky as I do?). We tend to like names which aren't super popular.
#12 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 05:26 PM

All of our kids will have Russian names, although with this baby I'd like to throw in an Irish middle name so that at least some of my (very mixed) ethnic heritage is represented, and German names don't do much for me. Poor kid will have four names since I don't want him or her to not have a patronymic like DS, although DS doesn't have an Irish name-- I'll have to give him one later so he doesn't feel left out.

DH is only really insistent on boys names. He wanted to name this one after his friend Vasiliy which I was mostly fine with although I've explained that Vasiliy, plus the short version Vasya, is close to the English word "vaseline" which will be playground fodder (which is why I was absolutely against Vitaly, short version, Vitalik (pronounced VitAlik and the danger of becoming Vita-lick at school). Now he wants Ivan (actually pronounced "ee-vAn") which is fine, they can even call him "I-vin" at school the way English speakers pronounce it and although any kid can get teased at least this name isn't making it easier for them. So I'm thinking Ivan Liam (which in English would be John William) which sound nice together. Poor kid's full name will be Ivan Liam Mikhailovitch Voitsekhovski. Yikes! He will learn to spell it before he's five...

As for a girl, for a long time we were thinking Nadezhda, which means "hope", the short form of which is Nadya, but now I'm thinking maybe Sofia, which is the same name in both languages and not strange for either, and a little less annoyingly common in Russia (where they use the same 10 names over and over). I haven't figured out what Irish name I'd like with it though.

I haven't talked to DH about my Irish middle name plan. I'll have to discuss it with him when MIL has left.
#13 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriAZ

We have NOTHING! LOL DH likes Natasha, but I DON"T! It reminds me of the chick on Rocky and Bullwinkle and that little purple monster on Sesame Street who blows raspberries all the time! LOL I like Anne for a middle name after a very dear friend of ours who never had children but has "adopted" us and Katelyn calles her 'Grandma Anne'... But, that could change depending on what first name we choose! *I* Like Avery, Kimberly, and Victoria... We will see! I guess we still have a few months to decide!! LOL

Kerri
Sorry if you already know this, but just as extra random info, Natasha is the Russian short form of Natalia or Natalie and some women choose to go by a different short name, although Natasha is the most common. It would be like putting "Becky" on a birth certificate instead of "Rebecca" (not that there's anything wrong with that). I actually like it, but it is so common in Russia (nauseatingly so) that I would never name my girls it, even though we live here, just because I've been over-Natashaized already. Also, it's slang in some places for Russian prostitue, although thankfully most people don't know that.
#14 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM

Apriluska -

I did know it - I studied Russian for 2 years in high school! I TRIED to get DH to go for Natalie, but he said no! BUUGER! LOL (Still working on him with that one, though! Hee hee)

Anyway, I was thinking... You could go for Kathleen as a girl's middle name... It is Irish and she could use "Katya" as a nickname for it! Just a thought!

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#15 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriAZ
Apriluska -

I did know it - I studied Russian for 2 years in high school! I TRIED to get DH to go for Natalie, but he said no! BUUGER! LOL (Still working on him with that one, though! Hee hee)

Anyway, I was thinking... You could go for Kathleen as a girl's middle name... It is Irish and she could use "Katya" as a nickname for it! Just a thought!

Kerri
Good suggestion, though DH hates the name Katya (he thinks that sounds like a prostitute's name).

Sigh.
#16 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 06:44 PM

We don't share names (but maybe I will online if we narrow it down a bit more). Right now I'm just really pissed w/my dh b/c he doesn't like my chosen boy name (first name he's cool with but not the middle name). I have a list of 4 boy names, all of which I love, and would love to use one of them in the middle. He just won't budge - says it's too "hippie". Yet he won't/hasn't come up with any suggestions. Any idea how to handle this? My best idea so far is to hope he can't come up with anything and is forced to accept my suggestion by default.

We have a super long list of girl name possibilities - left over from my last pregnancy. I always struggle with girl names though (and I have 2 girls!) so I think we might officially choose, if she's a girl, just after her birth. We've had our boy (first name) picked out since I was pg with my first dd though.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#17 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 06:50 PM

Well, we're still open to names, and we've ordered a good baby book. Can't wait to get it. But so far we have...

Lucien Wolf Ostenia
Elias Wolf Ostenia

I changed the last name slightly, but I think it's important to hear what the last name sounds like when choosing names.

Also, if you may have noticed, we both really like the name Wolf. Now I think it would be hard as a first name, since most people I've told laugh at the name. But we have to go with instincts here a bit. And nobody needs to know the middle name anyways, and people don't usually refer to it.

Husband is full-blood filipino and I am a european mix of whatever, but I mostly feel german from upbringing. However, I have an extreme fondness for scandanavian & swedish names, like Astrid & Sigrid.

Lucien is french meaning light. Shortened it could be Luc or Luke. Elias is latin with religious meaning to which we aren't particularly attached, but would be nice for the family. We just like the sounds of the names. But Elias could be turned into Eli or Lee even, in case he hates his name.

Any help or suggestions on filipino names would help if you know where to find a reference. I haven't been able to. I suppose we could always go more spanish, but his side of the family actually tends toward more french names.

WHEW!
#18 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 07:00 PM

We pretty much decided when I was PG with DS that we were going to stick to Jazz musician's names, so DS is Miles Oscar. We picked out Ella Elaine for a girl years ago, so I'm pretty sure that's what it will be if it's a girl. Our boy name is Ezra, but DH is having second thoughts. Neither of us can come up with anything the other one dosen't absolutely hate, so I hope it's a girl. DH suggested Dizzy as a name. I told him it sounded like something from Snow White!

So for those of you who don't share your names, I was wondering how people react to that? We shared Miles' name from the moment we told we were PG, and 2 other people ended up using it right before/after us. I just can't think it was a coincedence?! This time, when people have asked, I feel really awkward because the few times I have said that we are not sharing/haven't decided, people get SO weird and defensive! Do you have a good way to say it?

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#19 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM

Boy: Atticus Denali
Girl: Peach OR Beetle Leonna (I cant decide which one I like the best!)
#20 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaB
Boy: Atticus Denali
Girl: Peach OR Beetle Leonna (I cant decide which one I like the best!)
Cute!
#21 of 59 Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM

We're set on Luke Churchill. Dh is a social studies teacher and loves Winston Churchill. Luke means "light" so we are thinking of the verse, "like a city on a hill, so let your light shine before men."

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#22 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 12:32 AM

We still have the same names:

Iris Kate or Iris Elena

I love Elena as a first name, and even though this our last "planned" pregnancy, I feel the need to hang on to it, just in case!

Miles William

Miles was chosen for someone close to dh, and William is his father's name. I would like to use my father's name, too, but dh thinks it would be too long. (we hyphenate last names, too.) So it would be Miles William Richard 2Syllabels-3Syllables. Too long? I think it would be ok, it's not like he would be walking around saying, "HI! I'm Miles William Richard!"

There must always be drama.
#23 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Well our folks do not like the boys name...who cares, we do!!

Girl: Melina Ariana
Boy: Ramius Alexander

The weird thing about these names is that we picked them together, and when we searched to see the origin of the names, they are all greek names..SHOCKING coincidence. We are so not greek, but the names were, kinda weird but cool!!!!!
#24 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 01:08 PM

I like Ramius. Reminds me of ds's name, which is Marius (and of Roman origin).

I also shared our names on the march ddt (we're on the march/april cusp). All are family names:

boy names
Domenico Tomas
Giacomo Andres
Alessandro Emanuele
Tommaso Emanuele

girl names
Celestina Rose
Talia Delphine
Madonna Rose
Alessandra
Domenica

still trying to come up with more choices, combos
#25 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama
So for those of you who don't share your names, I was wondering how people react to that? We shared Miles' name from the moment we told we were PG, and 2 other people ended up using it right before/after us. I just can't think it was a coincedence?! This time, when people have asked, I feel really awkward because the few times I have said that we are not sharing/haven't decided, people get SO weird and defensive! Do you have a good way to say it?
I think I was always just really honest with people and explained that we both felt that only dh & I should pick our child's name, and we know that if we share our choices, people will comment (good or bad) or give some kind of look and it will influence us - perhaps just on a subconscious level - but still. And we really wanted the name choice to be just ours. This way we protected ourselves - kept us true to our feelings and not to others. And believe me, people still felt free to share their feelings, but at least then the name was written in stone (or, well, the birth certificate at least ).

But you could also say that you want it to be a big surprise! Especially if you're not finding out the sex of your baby. You could say that that's part of the way you want to announce the gender - by telling people that you just gave birth to {your choice of name here}.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#26 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I think I was always just really honest with people and explained that we both felt that only dh & I should pick our child's name, and we know that if we share our choices, people will comment (good or bad) or give some kind of look and it will influence us - perhaps just on a subconscious level - but still. And we really wanted the name choice to be just ours. This way we protected ourselves - kept us true to our feelings and not to others. And believe me, people still felt free to share their feelings, but at least then the name was written in stone (or, well, the birth certificate at least ).
:

There are certain people in our families who have been dropping hints for YEARS (including when we were doing infertility treatments ) about naming a child after relative x or y. Even if it weren't inappropriate for other people to voice their opinions on this, I personally don't go for the naming after so-and-so. (Dd's first initial is the same as 2 of her great-grandparents who have passed away, her second initial is the same as one great-grandmother, but that is a happy coincidence.) I feel very strongly that each person that dh and I help bring into the world deserves to have a name that is unique within the family so it comes without expectations (or, in the case of my family, baggage). Probably a good 99% of my co-religionists would disagree--they have fond memories of relative a, b, or c; want their child to emulate this grandparent or that one. All great reasons, but I can't go that way. Also (I stole this from a short story I read a long time ago), I feel that parents have the right/responsibility to "name the child's soul," i.e. think past the literal. (Too weird? Maybe. )

Although we found out the gender with dd (and plan to this go-round, although dh suddenly doesn't want to ), I really feel like it's not 100% even with an u/s. And even though we do find out the gender, we don't share that info with anyone (except online), so a name would tip our hand .

Sorry for the

Forgot to mention that naming a child in religious Judaism is a big deal. It's done in public...and there is the idea that whoever is doing the naming (usually the father) is imbued with a certain amount of "divine insight" (for lack of a good English translation) at that time. I have heard of first name/middle names getting reversed, slightly altered, etc. at the moment of truth. In my circles nobody ever announces a Hebrew name ahead of time.
#27 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 03:08 PM

We aren't sharing with family. But I have no problem sharing here.
#28 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 03:15 PM

We are on the search for Irish boy names, something unusual but not hard to pronounce. One I came across was

Carrig (Care-ig) it is the Irish form of Craig

It may be a bit too unusual though, thoughts?
#29 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM

How do people react to our not sharing? No one has ever made a big deal out of it (I don't think anyone has even asked, beyond the small-talkish "How are you doing on names?"). Everyone has been universally delighted with the names when they first hear them (when we announce the birth), I think in part because they're delighted about the baby.

I forgot to say that we do not name our kids after anyone, either. It just seems too great a burden on a tiny, brand new person who should be free to have a "fresh" life (IMO). My brother was named after my dad, and for him at least it was way too much pressure. My brother died almost 8 yrs ago, and in some ways, I really would have liked to use his name when we had T, but I didn't want T to go through what my brother went through (and my dad is still alive, and would create the same sort of pressure on a new person... I think he'd even think the name was about *him*, not my bro... love my dad, but he has "issues" ). I digress...
#30 of 59 Old 11-08-2005, 04:30 PM

We have decided on names but are not sharing with anyone, but I don't mind sharing here
Girl:
Aurora Raen (pronouced Rain)
Boy:
Adonijah, not sure of a middle name yet it has to have something to do with Spring.

My daughter's name is Adrianna Autumn and my son is Amadeus Demetri Adrian, Autumn was when Adrianna was born and Demetri has winter ties (very long story! LOL) so we need something for spring, Raen works for the girl but it's hard to find a boys name that has spring ties. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

We always pick names that are not common. I know of 1 other Adrianna, but she is from Brazil where she says her name is common. I know of no other Amadeus' and I like it that way. I LOVE picking names but no one ever wants me to pick name for them becuase they are so different! LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page