Quickening, Technology and Astrology - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-21-2005, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Moment of quickening and astrology

I've always been fascinated by astrology and actually ended up making a partial living in grad school running people's charts, etc., so I'm pretty knowledgable but now I'm hrmming over something:

They say to run a chart for the moment of quickening (when you first feel the baby move), and the moon and asc placements will be the same at birth. (I'm due April 12 but if I go by the quickening, that scoots my due date back to Mar 27 which is fine with me hehe.)

Anyway that all made sense to me prior to getting pg, but then after I became pregnant I found out that the baby is moving a lot already before I can feel her move.

(For example, I saw her in lotus position on her head at the last U/S and then doing somersaults, so I knew she was moving even though I didn't feel it.)

So should I still count the quickening moment? Or has modern medical technology ruined the whole quickening thing?

Even if you don't subscribe to astrology, it's fun to play with the whole when will the baby come info and I'm curious how others feel about the whole quickening/technology thing.

Do people even still count quickening as an "Event" or is it now something more personal -- simply the moment you feel your baby move for the first time? A sense of reassurance and all that.

Just curious.

What do you think?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-21-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

PS. You don't have to be into astrology to reply -- I'm just curious if people still think of quickening as a valid Event so to speak in terms of development or if it's more of a private moment between mother and child -- the astrology thing is what made me think of it is all -- make sense?

#3 of 11 Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 PM

For both of my pregnancies I haven't really noticed the first time I felt the baby move. Pretty much for me its been "hmm was that or wasn't it??" then realizing as it got stronger that it was the baby. Sorry if thats not much help!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#4 of 11 Old 11-21-2005, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think that's an interesting thought and possibly even really acurate, however, even being a second time, i get confused as to whether or not what i feel is the baby or gas or just all of my body parts getting shifted around. and in some cases i think it would be darn near impossible to really know,especially early on. i don't think quickening is an event. my understanding is that it's all the little fluttering and such that you feel before it's an honest to goodness kicking/whole body movement. and as for the baby moving before you can feel her--absolutely. baby has to be big enough for you to feel the movements, but they are always "moving" and they will move due to ultrasounds, they instinctively move away or try to shield themselves from the heat/rays.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#5 of 11 Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 PM

It's an interesting thought. Although I do have to side with most of the others in regards to quikening not being a specific event, but more of a process. It's really really hard to pinpoint a specific date and time at which it starts. As well, what occurs if all the movements occur while you're sleeping and you don't notice.

I am however very interested about astrology and how the planets possibly affect the baby. The moon and planets and our earth are one big system and we don't know much about them just yet. Even just looking at the earth and geosciences, it's amazing how much it seems there is yet to discover.
#6 of 11 Old 11-22-2005, 02:39 PM

I'd have to agree about it seemingly an unsure thing just when we first feel the movement and the movement actually starting sooner.

But I think it has been considered more of an event in the past maybe or in other cultures. I think a yoga pregnancy book I have talks about it so I'll have to look.

The first time I felt my first baby move was rather a definate feeling event. We were travelling across the country back to Buffalo, NY and it did seem significant to me.

The other times have been more of a gradual awareness and sureness about what I was feeling. Really none of mine have been big movers. I don't really know what woman are talking about when they describe uncomfortable kicks and things. But, so far this baby seems pretty active at times so maybe it will be different this time around.

Love,
Leslie
#7 of 11 Old 11-23-2005, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Seems the general consensus then is that quickening is no longer quite the Event it was traditionally in the past -- in terms of grand awareness and all that, which makes sense given the technology we have now (hearing heartbeats, etc.).

I'll be curious to see if the astrology bit holds true in this case or if perhaps I was mistaken on the "first" time I truly felt her move - I'd been feeling something but wasn't 100% until that one night.

We'll have to wait and see

Thanks!

#8 of 11 Old 11-23-2005, 01:48 AM

Well, I'm hoping for my sake that the astrology part isn't accurate b/c I'm guessing that would make my baby's birth date waaaaaaay too early to be a good thing (I first felt movement in the 9th week). Is there an online chart to plug in dates or something?

FWIW, for me quickening has been a major event this pregnancy as I haven't had technology confirming things (except the fetascope and by that point I had long since been feeling the baby's movements).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#9 of 11 Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
Well, I'm hoping for my sake that the astrology part isn't accurate b/c I'm guessing that would make my baby's birth date waaaaaaay too early to be a good thing (I first felt movement in the 9th week). Is there an online chart to plug in dates or something?

FWIW, for me quickening has been a major event this pregnancy as I haven't had technology confirming things (except the fetascope and by that point I had long since been feeling the baby's movements).
The similarity between the chart at quickening and the natal chart traditionally is the same moon sign and ascendant, period -- the sun and other planets will obviously be differnt, but it shouldn't matter how early or late in pregnancy you feel the baby move, really. The moon will be in one of the 12 signs, as will the ascendant. That doesn't make you terribly early (or late) -- it makes me at absolute most, 16 days early, which is not premature at all.

You can go to any freebie chart place online and plug in the exact date, time and location for quickening. Just pretend it's a natal chart when you enter the info. Here's one site: http://www.alabe.com/freechart/

Whatever the chart results show as the ascendant (rising sign) and moon sign, make note of them, then if you want, post them and your pre-established EDD here and I can tell you roughly your possible, anticipated EDD based upon the moon being in the same position as quickening. Make sense?

BUT of course that's all based upon quickening as being a valid measurable event, which I'm not so sure it is any longer, at least not according to the general consensus here. So really I'm just experimenting -- if I go into labor on Mar 27 instead of April 12 then I'll know at least in my case it was valid astrologically And it sounds like in your case it was a measurable event so that might make a difference? Or it might work in everyone's case -- who knows? I've never been pg before so never ran a quickening chart until now We won't know until the baby comes in any case.

Make any sense?

Let me know -- sometimes I'm not very good at explaining things in type.
-Renee

#10 of 11 Old 11-25-2005, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
For both of my pregnancies I haven't really noticed the first time I felt the baby move. Pretty much for me its been "hmm was that or wasn't it??" then realizing as it got stronger that it was the baby.
:

I've felt particularly dumb about this go-round (I should have been able to distinguish--I just did this! )...actually just this week (20 w) things have been much clearer as baby movements. Plus I have an explanation for the fogginess; at my u/s on Monday I asked about the placenta and found out it is anterior. (With dd it was posterior, so once I felt her--about 18 weeks or so--I never got a moment's rest! )
#11 of 11 Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM

Hey there. I remember someone saying something along the lines that their due date is April 14th and that it's a special day for star alignment. They didn't really give out any specifics. But I took a look at http://www.alabe.com/freechart/ and saw that wow, there are a lot of planets in pisces. It seems like even if I adjust a few days, Venus & Mercury are in pisces. I can't remember what the north node means now. But I'm wondering if that means a bunch of us are going to have very dreamy babies.

What do you think?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page