Too much weight! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ack!

We didn't even have thanksgiving with the family and yet I am up 18 lbs at 21 weeks!

Help!

I started out underweight (10 lbs--is this why I seem to retain every calorie?), so I think dh is secretly thrilled. But I am petrified for my VBAC plans. I am a small & narrow person...and apparently I tend to grow large babies.

I have no idea what to do. (I would exercise more if I weren't so bone tired from night parenting dd.) I don't even think I am eating that much! Some high protein snacks, but normal sized meals. I honestly think that if I were eating the same diet and just bfing dd I would still be underweight.

I don't see my OB until Friday, so many days to freak out between now and then. Anybody going through same?
#2 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 12:47 PM

Me!
At my last appt. (19 weeks) I had gained 20 pounds. I started out at 108 and I'm 5' 6". My midwife didn't seem concerned. But my DS 1 was 9lbs 1oz and DS 3 8lbs 14oz. So I am thinking this is going to be a big baby. I exercise when I can and eat small frequent meals. I've also been avoiding sugar and watching what I eat.
It is strange because I hear about so many people losing weight in the first trimester or even second. I have been gaining since before I even knew I was pregnant.
So I'm in the same boat as you.
#3 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkb
Ack!

We didn't even have thanksgiving with the family and yet I am up 18 lbs at 21 weeks!

Help!

I started out underweight (10 lbs--is this why I seem to retain every calorie?), so I think dh is secretly thrilled. But I am petrified for my VBAC plans. I am a small & narrow person...and apparently I tend to grow large babies.

I have no idea what to do. (I would exercise more if I weren't so bone tired from night parenting dd.) I don't even think I am eating that much! Some high protein snacks, but normal sized meals. I honestly think that if I were eating the same diet and just bfing dd I would still be underweight.

I don't see my OB until Friday, so many days to freak out between now and then. Anybody going through same?
But you were underweight to begin with so you SHOULD gain more weight! If you were 10lbs underweight then I wouldn't even count ten of the lbs you've gained during pg -- because your body needed those just to help grow a healthy baby. That leaves you with having gained PREGNANCY WEIGHT of 8 lbs which is totally normal or even a little low for this stage.

And just because you have put on some weight, the baby hasn't begun packing on the lbs yet so don't panic I bet you'll even out in third trimester, which is when your baby starts gaining serious weight.

Don't panic! Just keep eating when you're hungry -- starving your baby would be bad bad bad.

(I say all this because I too was slightly underweight and I'm a very small person -- so no, you're not alone -- but please stop thinking about the VBAC and focus instead on growing your baby if you can. Worry about how s/he'll come into this world as that time grows closer. An underweight/starved baby has a higher chance of something being wrong or even SIDS down the road. For now, just eat and enjoy and exercise as you normally would.)

Good luck!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#4 of 8 Old 11-28-2005, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
But you were underweight to begin with so you SHOULD gain more weight! If you were 10lbs underweight then I wouldn't even count ten of the lbs you've gained during pg -- because your body needed those just to help grow a healthy baby. That leaves you with having gained PREGNANCY WEIGHT of 8 lbs which is totally normal or even a little low for this stage.
Renee, this is totally my husband's take. Just not sure my OB will see it that way. (Although he is so low stress I can't imagine him making a big deal.)

I couldn't even diet if I tried. No will.

I think I am also kind of stressed because in my last pregnancy I gained a lot of weight between weeks 21 and 25. (It all evened out at the end and I put on 30 lbs total. I just wasn't one of those "pound a week" people.) So to already be "in the hole" (so to speak) at this point is kind of playing with my head.
#5 of 8 Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkb
Renee, this is totally my husband's take. Just not sure my OB will see it that way. (Although he is so low stress I can't imagine him making a big deal.)

I couldn't even diet if I tried. No will.

I think I am also kind of stressed because in my last pregnancy I gained a lot of weight between weeks 21 and 25. (It all evened out at the end and I put on 30 lbs total. I just wasn't one of those "pound a week" people.) So to already be "in the hole" (so to speak) at this point is kind of playing with my head.
Um, what is the problem? That's NORMAL. That's the CORRECT AMOUNT of pregnancy weight to gain. I've found that on some of these threads, people are reporting vastly unusual weight gains- losing weight early on (never healthy!), etc. Especially if you're skinny/underweight, 30-35 is normal and healthy, and anything under than can be unhealthy.

It shocks me to the core when people freak out about weight gain during pregancy, and can't seem to realize it's about making your CHILD HEALTHY. Just the title of this thread is way off base. It's striking to me that there are so many threads/so much info on here about people trying to do what is best for their pregnancies in every other way, but there seems to be this negative and wildly non-realistic perception of weight on here. Yikes. Chill- you have no problems with this!
#6 of 8 Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 PM

FWIW I'm loving gaining weight. I have never weighed this much in my entire life and I love it! Nothing fits and yeah that's frustrating but it's FUN having a big ole belly and I'm giving my baby all kinds of good nutrients, etc. And it makes my husband laugh when I go back for second breakfast. I tell him I'm a hobbit!

If I continue with a pound a week from here on out, I'll have gained 30 lbs total, which is absolutely fine and recommended. But I suspect I'll hit 35 and I'm fine with that, even though it sounds HUGE to me. It took forever to conceive this baby. I'm giving her all the good fat and protein and food she needs.

To the OP -- please try to enjoy your weight gain -- it is healthy! Seriously, just don't even count the first ten pounds at all, since you needed those just to start building a healthy baby.

The rest is your duty as pregnant mama, caring for and maintaining her child's health. Get fat and be happy -- it's the one time when we CAN get fat fat fat and no one can fuss at us about it! Enjoy!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#7 of 8 Old 11-29-2005, 02:02 PM

Hello,

I have gained a lot of weight with all of my pregnancies and I don't even have big babies. My first was 7lbs, my second for whom I gained the most (50+) was like 7 1/2 lbs. My third was 6 something.

I'm 18 weeks now and I've gained around 20 lbs already. It's a little scary to change so fast, but don't be afraid for your birth and it doesn't necessarily mean the baby will be big. There are other signs besides weight gain for gestational diabetes and stuff like that.

Have faith in your body. If you know you aren't even eating that much more and are gaining weight recognize that your body NEEDS that weight to keep you and baby healthy. Besides it is OK to eat more anyway just eat good healthy real food.

Oh, and it can all come off too later if that worries you. It has for me every time. I was about 114 and 5'5" when I got pregnant. I was pretty thin. No more!

I was surprised too to see so many woman here who lost a lot of weight in the beginning. It seems like the majority who posted about it but I don't think that is usually that way.

Love,
Leslie
#8 of 8 Old 12-04-2005, 12:37 PM

I think there has been some really good advice about putting your weight gain in perspective and I agree completely. I alos wanted to add that when you're talking about a "big" baby, it is not an 8 or 9 lbs baby. A big baby is Over 10 lbs. and even that does not mean it will necessarialy be a difficult baby to push out. The size of the head and shoulders are the difficult parts of pushing. And since an ultra sound can not give you an accurate guess at baby's size or weight before birth then I say just relax, think good thoughts and enjoy your pregnancy, pounds and all!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page