Contractions already - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 20 weeks pregnant and have been having so many bh contractions already. I had a lot with the boys, but I really do not remember them this early. I am having them a lot too, like every time I vacuum, bend over to pick something up, sneeze, etc. I also feel like I have been kicked in the pelvis most of the time. It feels all bruised up and hurts to even touch in the area. I cant help but to wonder if I am feeling this sore already how uncomfy I am going to get. Is this a third baby thing, or am I falling apart with old age
#2 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Are you drinking enough water?

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

I drink at least 10 cups a day soI think so
#4 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 PM

I think that it's very common to have more bh contractions with each subsequent pregnancy. Though I didn't have many while I was pregnant with BooBah, I'm having loads of them in this pregnancy. I take it as a cue to sit down and relax if there's any pain involved, but usually there isn't and it's all good.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#5 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 03:34 PM

I'm having them already, it suprised me too as I didnt have then until last trimester with ds. Hopefully we'll all have lovely quick labours
#6 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 04:23 PM

I am having them too, and I am only 19 weeks. Mine don't hurt, but they are noticeable. I seem to remember getting them before at 5-6 months. Of course, I probably had them earlier than that, I just didn't recognize them for what they were.

Anyway, I hope they don't bother you too much.
#7 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 06:43 PM

I didn't have them with my DD but I am this time. I am 17.5 weeks and they started a few days ago. I am Hypnobirthing and try to think of them as preparatory surges that will help my body prepare for th birth. I actually have begun to enjoy having them,as they don't really hurt, just a gentle reminder of what early labor feels like! They are a nice reminder of the exciting event to come!

#8 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 09:15 PM

You might have the same condition as me : an irritable uterus.
Basically means that your uterus is super-sensitive and reacts quickly with daily activities, stress or even when you touch your abdomen.

I have had bh contractions with every pregnancy sometimes very painful episodes where it felt like I was in labour. I was admitted to the hospital with dd because of an episode of contractions that lasted several hours. I thought I was having pre-term labour. That's where, for the first time, my midwives and the doctors diagnosed me with an irritable uterus. I used to think that all women had painful bhicks like that. Well, that's what the ob's for my first two kept on saying:"Oh yeah, that's normal, all women have that."

Never had a preemie, all three babes were born at term and even late! You just have to know when to relax, listen to your body and know when it's time to take it easy.
#9 of 16 Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Had them since 12 weeks. Possibly sooner according to books...but I started recognizing them for what they were around 12 weeks. I had them that early with dd too. I kept thinking I was going to have her early because of it....but nope! She was past 40 weeks.

I like getting them...it's good practice for Bradley breathing.

Mandy

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#10 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie
You might have the same condition as me : an irritable uterus.
Basically means that your uterus is super-sensitive and reacts quickly with daily activities, stress or even when you touch your abdomen.
Oh! HEY! I've never heard of this -- would this be a case where taking a uterine toner could potentially be a bad thing then?

I've had raspberry leaf revulsions the whole time I've been pg and Eilonwy suggested perhaps my body needs my uterus to be relaxed and that's why? I'm intrigued by the notion, and I have had BH for weeks now despite drinking loads of water and resting.

#11 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 AM

I've been having bh since maybe 10-12 weeks this time around (and probably from early in the 2nd trimester last time). I think it is more common to notice them with each subsequent pregnancy. Mostly they don't cause my any pain, just occasional discomfort. The sex-related ones do hurt a whole lot though. I'm also very sore directly above my pubic bone - like the ligaments or something are all stretched out. It's pretty much been this way since day one and I figure it will only get worse. Everything is very achy on me this time, plus I'm pretty big for dates so I guess that doesn't help.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#12 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
Oh! HEY! I've never heard of this -- would this be a case where taking a uterine toner could potentially be a bad thing then?

I've had raspberry leaf revulsions the whole time I've been pg and Eilonwy suggested perhaps my body needs my uterus to be relaxed and that's why? I'm intrigued by the notion, and I have had BH for weeks now despite drinking loads of water and resting.
I had never heard about it either until I was admitted to the hospital with dd (preg #3) and was diagnosed with it.

It all made sense. I was always wondering why I was in so much pain for periods at a time, when other women's bh were just a tightening now and then.

I'll try google-ing the term to find out more info on the subject. Not sure about the toner either.
#13 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkPixie
I had never heard about it either until I was admitted to the hospital with dd (preg #3) and was diagnosed with it.

It all made sense. I was always wondering why I was in so much pain for periods at a time, when other women's bh were just a tightening now and then.

I'll try google-ing the term to find out more info on the subject. Not sure about the toner either.
I found this:

Q. What exactly does "Irritable Uterus" mean and what if any problems will it present during labor, delivery, and post partum? My Doc said I had a "irritable uterus also. I am 36 weeks on Friday. I was hospitalized for contractions at 25 weeks and again at 32 weeks with contractions coming every minute and lasting 90 seconds. But no dilation or effacement. I am completely frustrated as my contractions start even when I am not dooing anything at all. Both times I was in bed when they started.

A. An 'irritable uterus' means simply that your uterus contracts without causing any changes in your cervix, or labor.

There are many causes: dehydration (<8-10 glasses of water/day), infections (urinary or vaginal), twins or multiple gestations, and stress are main causative factors. The concern comes in, before 36-37 weeks that perhaps the contractions are labor, or perhaps preterm dilatation. That is why you were hospitalized, so evaluate you for preterm labor. Now you are at 'term' so an irritable uterus becomes less of a concern.

Now, it's just irritating !!

An irritable uterus has NOTHING to do with your labor: neither making it shorter nor longer, nor less effective. It is simply the uterus contracting in an erratic, irregular pattern.

------------------

I have cyclothymia (form of bipolar) and have been off all my meds since ttc, so I wonder if my early and frequent BHs might be some sort of reaction to stress? I drink water, it's a single birth and I'm infection-free. Must be stress or some sort of predisposition....

How interesting!

Please let me know what you find about this -- I'm going to ask my m/w tomorrow.

thanks!

#14 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 04:47 PM

Hi. Is it possible to have bh and not know it? I have a bit of stored-over blubber from dd. Could it be that my uterus is tightening and I just can't feel it through my layer?? I didn't have any with dd until after I had an external version at 37 weeks trying to turn her (after my chiropractor had no luck and my work with my doula also didn't help). I do remember that at the time I kept telling my mom how painful they were, then three weeks later, real labor hit. Boy, was I in for a shock!!

edit: Oh sorry, I'm lurking from May and therefore am 16 weeks, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
#15 of 16 Old 11-29-2005, 06:21 PM

I had a horrible problem with cramps, low backache, and painful BH (only had those in the 3rd tri) in my last pregnancy. I even ended up in L&D for monitoring at 28 weeks because the cramps and backache were so bad I thought I was in preterm labor. My OB started me on a week long regime of ibuprofen because it would relieve the pain and also help prevent preterm labor. It helped but as soon as I was off it the same thing started again.

I started having the same cramps, backache etc and started feeling BH fairly early (around 14weeks?) and I mentioned it to my midwife. I was drinking plenty of water so I knew I wasn't dehydrated, so she suggested taking a calcium/magnesium supplement since I don't eat or drink much in the way of dairy or dairy substitutes. Seriously after ONE WEEK of taking it the cramping was GONE! I haven't had anymore problems like that since, and only feel the occasional BH that is just weird feeling but not painful at all.

Those of you having irritable uterus problems should ask about it. I'm taking a supplement that is 3 pills at night that contain 500mg of calcium carbonate/citrate/malate and 250mg of magnesium oxide/citrate/asparate that is supposed to be very well absorbed and in the right proportion of cal to mag.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#16 of 16 Old 11-30-2005, 02:19 AM

I've been out of town the past few days, and have been experiencing the same thing! I'm glad I found this thread. My Bh's are really uncomfortable. I probably get them a dozen times or more a day. Also, the past day or two my lower abdomen (bottom of uterus) has been SO sore! I'm sure it's just ligament pains, but HOLY GEEZ! I am hating it. I'm going to wear my tummy brace thing to see if that helps at all. I'm also going to try to drink more and more water etc. I'll definitely be mentioning things to my midwife at my next appointment (on the 8th). I'll be 21 weeks on Thursday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page