Regretting U/S, very emotional UPDATE (Post #5) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm venting! maybe looking for a little advie too...

Today was our 20week U/S, baby looks great as far as they can see My placenta is low and posterior and they want me back for another U/S at 34weeks. I REALLY dont want any more u/s exposure and believe placenta will move up as baby & I grow -wdyt?

Also we are having midwifery care but the way it works in the UK an u/s at 34weeks would mean I have to also see an OB and he would have to agree to me homebirthing

Can a midwife tell placental position? (I'll ask when I see her next week)

Thanks

Carrie
#2 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritMama

Today was our 20week U/S, baby looks great as far as they can see My placenta is low and posterior and they want me back for another U/S at 34weeks. I REALLY dont want any more u/s exposure and believe placenta will move up as baby & I grow -wdyt?

Also we are having midwifery care but the way it works in the UK an u/s at 34weeks would mean I have to also see an OB and he would have to agree to me homebirthing

Thanks

Carrie
I don't think mws can tell exact placenta location by sound (though they can take a good guess), but you could wait to see if you have any bleeding. A placenta that covers the cervix will bleed eventually (I'm pretty sure just about always). One that is just low but doesn't cover the cervix does not preclude vaginal birth, so you could take the wait and see. But if you have to see an OB if you have a u/s at 34 weeks to get approval for a homebirth, will you have similar problems if you skip a recommended u/s? Just wondering.
#3 of 17 Old 11-30-2005, 11:50 AM

I don't know much about that, but I bet the m/ws over in B&B would be able to help you find more info. I would educate yourself about the risks and signs and let that guide your decision. Do you have to have the u/s or do they give you an option?

#4 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Thanks

Carrie

I don't think so reliably, but why not schedule an ultrasound a bit earlier on? Perhaps that way the OB would not be involved, and so if the placental position is okay, you don't need that homebirth "permission"? If your placenta does not move up on its own, that's a big deal- much much bigger than any theoretical risk from a single ultrasound. Maybe your midwife can help you with that scheduling and figure out a way to make it work
#5 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies ladies. I am going to go ahead with the additional u/s, the risk of not knowing is so much greater than the risk of additional u/s exposure. I no longer regret yesterdays u/s as I realise now how serious this could be and yesterday all I was focusing on where the number of mis-diagnosed placenta previas at 20weeks. I do still feel very emotional and deflated that the risk may now be too great for a homebirth but I need to re-focus my attention on my baby and I having a safe and healthy birth regardless of where that may be.

I see my midwife next thursday and I am slowly compiling a long list of questions for her.
#6 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 10:31 AM

In the business we call the technology of birth the "slippery slope".

cause once you get on, it is really hard to get off.

As I am in N. America, I don't know the climate in the UK, but in the U.S., US is routine
and you pretty much have to refuse to not get one. Here in Canada in rural areas, forget it. But in the cities they do tons of them.

What a waste of $. What a waste of energy.

Sorry this happened to you. I advocate parents to avoid that first step into technology.

of COURSE it has it's place. BUt so does avoiding it as many of us have learned the hard way.

Thanks for sharing, maybe you will save another mum some misery!

cheers
#7 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
That was my biggest worry yesterday during my u/s. I was so thrilled when that placcena was nice and high. My mom was complete previa with me in 1974, and had refused all ultrasounds because she didn't know enough about them. As a result it was missed, so I know how serious it can be.

Did they give you an idea of how much of the cervical OS is was covering? It should move up as your uterus grows, by default. I think in this instance, i would have an u/s to make sure it did just that, but boy, do Iknow how frustrating it is to have to do something you don't want to.

Sending moving placenta vibes at you!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#8 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Adina I need those vibes did your mom had an emergency c-sec? that must have been scary, although its obviously not what I want to happen if it is true placenta previa I know I am far better knowing before hand.

Placenta is 18mm from cervical OS which I think is not great but could also be a lot worse! I have decided to have another u/s at 34weeks so everyone please pray my placenta migrates up :
#9 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 05:43 PM

It is very rare for a placenta to move toward the cervix and you are pretty much guaranteed that as your uterus expands your placenta will space out further away from the cervix. I know it is scary when someone tells you a complication is possible, but I think you are right to keep in mind the number of mis-diagnosed placenta previa's at 20 weeks.

Good luck, and here's sending those keep it moving vibes your placenta's way!
#10 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 05:46 PM

Hi

I'm just browsing and you caught my eye. If at 34 weeks the placenta has migrated upwards, even if you have to see an OB you can still give them the stare and ask how they they intend to support you to have the birth you want.

If all is well then there is no reason for the OB to have any say in where you birth and the bottom line here in Oxfordshire is that if you stay at home someone has to come out to you, I don't know if it is the same where you are.

If on the other hand the placenta is still low lying then you still have options to explore and a slightly punchy letter from your midwife should help in that area if the OB gets a bit hospital birth fixated. Is there a freestanding birth centre near you?

I only say all this because I had a few confrontations with and OB and her minions in my last pregnancy and with the help of my lovely but very determined midwife told her that I would not be birthing in the hospital (I have a blood clotting disorder requiring post partum meds and I took responsibility for getting the prescription and having the syringes on my person 24/7 so that I could be injected directly after the birth)

Try not to get sucked into their madness. They think everyone should be in hospital so that they can keep an eye on us. Funnily enough even if you are under OB care as I was with ds2 and even though I was in hospital I only ever saw registrars never the OB himself and I was there for a week. :
#11 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 06:00 PM

. I have had the low lying placenta in all 3 of my pregnancies and it has always moved up. Sending some placenta moving vibes your way.
#12 of 17 Old 12-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Adina I need those vibes did your mom had an emergency c-sec? that must have been scary, although its obviously not what I want to happen if it is true placenta previa I know I am far better knowing before hand.

Placenta is 18mm from cervical OS which I think is not great but could also be a lot worse! I have decided to have another u/s at 34weeks so everyone please pray my placenta migrates up :
My mom did have an emergency c/s - she went into labor with me 2 weeks early. I was breech at the time, probably trying to stay off the placenta!

As another poster said - the placenta won't move down. The better blood supply is higher on the uterus, it isn't going to move where it can't get to blood supply. I would guess that it will move up just fine! :

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#13 of 17 Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO MUCH for your support and positive vibes it really does mean a lot to me

DH and I chattted last night and although we both now have a slight worry we are going to stay positive and focused on our homebirth and on our baby and my body knowing what to do throughout this pregnancy. I had a lovely relaxing bath last night with candles, incense and a dolphin sounds CD and then meditated and visualised placenta migrating up as my uterus grows. This may sound a little crazy but I think this could be babies way of getting me to focus more attention on her, I'm so busy with ds etc whereas during his pregnancy I connected with him daily through yoga, meditation and generally just always thinking about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot
If all is well then there is no reason for the OB to have any say in where you birth and the bottom line here in Oxfordshire is that if you stay at home someone has to come out to you, I don't know if it is the same where you are.
Thanks orangefoot, yes its throughout the UK, everyone who is low risk has a legal right to a homebirth and a midwife must attend
#14 of 17 Old 12-04-2005, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritmama
This may sound a little crazy but I think this could be babies way of getting me to focus more attention on her
You said HER!! Did you see something on the u/s or is that just your subconscious talking?!
#15 of 17 Old 12-04-2005, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal_grace
You said HER!! Did you see something on the u/s or is that just your subconscious talking?!
Just my intuition talking, we made sure we didn't see anything on the u/s
#16 of 17 Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Not directly related to the question , but if you are concerned about the ultrasound exposure to the fetus (and I would be as well), you could obtain some homeopathic potentized Ultrasound to remove the ultrasound damage.

HTH .
#17 of 17 Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Jennifer how does the homeopathic potenized ultrasound work? Sounds very interesting

Thanks Carrie xx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page