Opinions/thoughts please, renting doppler for homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-30-2005, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know most people hated it, but one thing I found reassuring in the hospital was being able to hear the baby's heart beat on the monitor, it is the main reason I waited so long before asking for the Csect. (with the pitocin I didn't have the option of moving around anyway) We considered hiring a doula that could also check heart tones, but really can't afford it with having to pay out of pocket for part of the homebirth. When dh and I talked about it the main reason I wanted her was just to listen to the baby periodically so that I would feel safe (very important to me since we are having an HBAC and I don't want fear to stall my labor). He suggested just renting a doppler and checking ourselves. I have never used one before, is it easy, or would it be more trouble than it is worth, tell me your thought please.
#2 of 8 Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

Do you have a mw? Usually the mw has a doppler or fetoscope and can do intermittant checking. CEFM of course in a homebirth is out. I would definitely have someone with a doppler or fetoscope around if possible.
#3 of 8 Old 11-30-2005, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, I have midwife but she won't necessarily be there in the early part of labor. I figured I could use the doppler to listen and reassure myself until she was able to be there. The other option is a fetoscope, but I wasnt' sure how well that would work since I am plus size.
#4 of 8 Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM

I see. I don't think using one is hard but your husband would have to learn, you might not be able to concentrate enough to count.
#5 of 8 Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM

I would remember that if you are anxious and concerned enough about how your baby is, then your midwife's job is to reassure you. Even if she doesn't come over to stay, coming over to check on you and the baby is warrented if you are concerned about anything.

I would talk to your midwife about this, and rather then waste your money, see how things go and know that if you are that concerned you can always call your her.
#6 of 8 Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM

I second having your midwife come by to check and then leave again, is your midwife close enough to be able to do this?

If not and it helps you feel safer then I am sure your DH can learn how to use the doppler.
#7 of 8 Old 12-01-2005, 06:43 PM

I'm not pro-doppler use, but I did actually rent one before (in my last pregnancy). It isn't hard to learn to use - no real learning curve, especially the further along you are (easier to find the hb). But I second the notion of talking these concerns over with your mw and asking to have her come in early labor just for a check, if that makes you feel better. However, consider what would happen if your dh *did* go to check for the hb and couldn't find it or heard something weird? Then what? You'd need your mw at that point anyway (and just b/c he can't find it, etc., doesn't mean it's not there - baby's position could make it very hard to hear). So I guess again I'd suggest that you just have your mw assume this responsibility. Oh, and fwiw, it may not have been easy to find a doula, cbe, or some other non-mw to assume this responsibility. I'm a cbe and have been taught to never do anything "medical" for fear of lawsuit should anything go awry (like if I can't find the hb but *think* the baby is fine but it isn't - I know this has been a problem for people in the past).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#8 of 8 Old 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM

If I was expecting a midwife to show up at any point during my labor, I probably wouldn't spend my money on a doppler.

As an alternative, you might want to purchase a stethascope. Many places that sell scrubs to nurses offer inexpensive, real stethascopes and late in pregnancy it's not hard to find the baby's heartbeat that way.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page