registry question -- can you make your own? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-01-2005, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all,

I've asked this on ivillage to no avail, so I'm hoping someone out there knows something...is there any way to make your own registry, rather than just going with one of the basic big box stores? Many of the things we want for the baby (i.e. cloth diapers, organic clothing, etc.) are available at different online sites, and we were interested in being able to just list things from different sites rather than all on the same site. Anyone know if this is possible? I suppose we could create our own web page or something -- never done that, though. Seems complicated!!

Mary
#2 of 11 Old 12-01-2005, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We create our own webpage. As long as you have a site to host it on, it's not complicated at all. All we do is use Netscape composer (File --> New --> Composer Page) to make a text list of what we want. We find the item on whatever webpage, highlight & copy that page's URL, then on the composer page we type the name of the item, highlight it, click the little globe icon which lets you then paste in the URL of the item, and viola! People can click the item name and be taken to the appropriate webpage for it (or course you still have to save the page & upload it somewhere - you could actually email the page to friends & family and let them open it with their browser as an alternative to hosting it somewhere).

Another option (as long as the sites you're shopping on have wishlist or registry capabilities) would be to just email friends & family with the URL's of the sites you've registered with (or created a wishlist) and they can take it from there. Sure, it's not centralized into one location, but at least it's something.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#3 of 11 Old 12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Try out felicite.com. They do a bunch of different stores...which is awesome!!!!

I have put one together on that, on punkinbutt and on amazon....

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 11 Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 AM

geocities and freewebs are pretty easy. I made a site on geocities and it was really easy. They have a simple one or you can create your own. Creating your own was also really easy.
Allison

Allison wife and mom to four. 

#5 of 11 Old 12-02-2005, 02:11 AM

i use wishcentral.com - it lets you add items from any store on the net - and it looks a lot like the registry for amazon.

i have already recieved a ton of items on mine, so i know it works

http://www.wishcentral.com/
#6 of 11 Old 12-02-2005, 09:54 AM

www.thethingsiwant.com makes it real easy to have a wish list from any online site out there. You put a button on your browser and when you find something you want, click on it and add it to the list.

I love it!
#7 of 11 Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 PM

Yep! Do it! We did! I'm getting a ton of compliments on it too. I also added fun things like links to the birthing center, my belly pics, and some fun quotes.

Making your own allows you to say, too, things like: "we're not really into those modern plastic beaping toys... we like these sites instead."

Some of the wish list ones are more limiting.
#8 of 11 Old 12-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Not a part of this group but taking notes for next time.... :

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#9 of 11 Old 12-03-2005, 11:38 AM

we used felicite.com for our wedding registry hoping people could see what we want, but wouldnt buy off there because of the service fee. a few people actually bought stuff off of the registry though, and they got charged a steep fee (4.9%).

Do the other sites charge no fees whatsoever? Its hard to find that info on the site, so they either don't or they are sneaky about their disclosure.

Does anyone know if they take a percentage?

If they don't, avoid felicite. Its silly to pay a service charge.
XOXO
Beth

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#10 of 11 Old 12-03-2005, 06:10 PM

You could always set up a blog with pictures and website addresses. Then you can update on your pregnancy at the same time if you wanted. The only issue I see with this is more than 1 person may buy you the same thing.
#11 of 11 Old 12-03-2005, 11:08 PM

a second recommendation for thethingsiwant.com -- it's awesome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page