Contractions and bleeding already? EPO? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-09-2005, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At work yesterday I started bleeding and contracting. I soaked maybe 2 pads and was just really crampy and back achy for about 5 hrs and then it stopped. I had the nurses upstairs check me out. They said my cervix is very soft, the external os is open but the internal os is shut. So I guess I'm just effacing a bit.

I had preterm labor and delivered 6-7 wks early the last two times. It was recommended to me that I take EPO to strengthen my uterus for the VBAC. Could this cause the bleeding and cramping? I am also taking progesterone shots to prevent preterm labor. I will probably start on procardia and terbutaline at my next visit (the 28th). Is there anything else I can do? I don't really want to call my doc because I don't want to be put on bedrest again. (The studies show it is pretty useless anyway). I told dh no sex for a while.

Oh, and the bleeding was before the cervical check, so I know it wasn't from that. Is there anything else I should/shouldn't be doing?

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-10-2005, 02:42 PM

I'm no medical professional but there's NO WAY I'd take Evening Primrose Oil if I were at risk for preterm labor. Red Raspberry Leaf works great for toning your uterus but EPO can trigger labor???

Not sure why you were told to take EPO, but I'd stop taking it right now if I were you, and pick up some Raspberry Leaf tea.

Good luck!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 7 Old 12-11-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
I'm no medical professional but there's NO WAY I'd take Evening Primrose Oil if I were at risk for preterm labor. Red Raspberry Leaf works great for toning your uterus but EPO can trigger labor???

Not sure why you were told to take EPO, but I'd stop taking it right now if I were you, and pick up some Raspberry Leaf tea.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'd have to second this. EPO is what we recommend to our overdue clients in *late* pg for softening and ripening the cervix as it contains prostaglandins. It can be ingested and/or placed vaginally. I've not heard any correlation with uterine toning. As nighten stated, a safe and well known uterine toner is red raspberry leaf (often ingested as a tea or strong brew). Hopefully this information is of use to you and the bleeding is settling down!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#4 of 7 Old 12-11-2005, 07:25 PM

What did the nurses suggest????? I would be very cautious and at the very least stay off my feet as much as possible.
#5 of 7 Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM

EPO is only for the last 4-6 weeks of pregnancy.Please stop taking it ASAP.
#6 of 7 Old 12-13-2005, 04:52 PM

pfamilygal~
Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing...it's been a few days. Hope all is well!

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#7 of 7 Old 12-14-2005, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

The bleeding stopped and so did the ctx (until I got sick last night). So in that respect I'm feeling better. I stopped taking the EPO.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page