Update thread for the New Year! 1-14 January - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just wondering if we had one of these yet? I haven't been able to find it, so... here it is!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#2 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 10:33 PM

Anyone else have mega heartburn a lot of the time??
I sure HATE it! Nothing I do seems to help. I eat small meals, I drink a lot of water, I prop myself up a tad to sleep... NOTHING. So I eat a few tums when it's unbearable. Stupid heartburn....
#3 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Papaya Enzymes!!!!! I have had heartburn for, oh, 10 weeks now....those little chewable darlings kill it immediately!! And they taste better than Tums, and no unuseable calcium. They have saved me.

All is fine here! We have had a very active belly day - feels like she is doign a combination of tap and yoga. I am clearly pregnant in pretty much all clothes, but only now is the belly starting to extend further than the boobs...and lordy, those are HUGE!

Trying to eat well, some days I do great...some days I do badly. But at least I am eating.

We spent the weekend driving by houses that our real estate agent sent us listings for. I am NOT enamored of this process... Oh well. I would like to not have a 3 flight climb with a baby to do laundry.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 10:51 PM

papaya enzyme soothes the heartburn a little. i have read a lot of bad things about tums and damage it does to the placenta, so research it or try and find something else. for me tums never worked to well anyway. i also heard if you take acidophilous (sp?) regularly that can help. i made a list of things that help. Carrots, gosh i cant remember what else and i dont remember where i got the info. there were some interesting things that supposidly help.

Anway.......not much new hear. i am starting to handle my discomfort a lot better this week. i hang out on an excersize ball, do squats, pelvic tilts and tailor sitting throughout the day. basicall i am always changing positions. i is in a way a big practice for labor and finding whats comfortable.

I have been reading more lately and i think i am leaning toward doing an "opps, i had my baby at home". i have been visiting the unassisted birth section and i plan on being prepared in case i just dont want to go to the hospital. i am just scared as a vbac that being at the hospital will end up being a negitive experience. we will see. i am just so darn excited for this baby to come i cant stand it. His three little siblings cant wait either. we started watching their birth videos so incase they are at the birth they will know what sounds i make and know its normal to throw up ect......... they seem so comfortable watching a baby being born so i am sure it would be a big plus to have them a part of it.

on the nesting front however i have had no progress!! i was doing good for awhile but now i just am letting everything go!. my house is beyond a mess and now i am just overwelmed. i am just trying to ignore it. i hope the nesting earge will come back otherwise i dont think i will ever be ready for baby. I litterally have to "make" room for him because we have no extra space.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#5 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM

I have heartburn too, which is pretty much exacerbated by my drinking water or brushing my teeth. Go figure. I take papaya enzymes, but sometimes they just don't seem to work. And I've gotten annoyed since the heartburn is interfering with my ability to do yoga: no downward dogs, forward bends, etc. etc. It stinks.

I feel HUGE. I think I'm definitely in the third trimester, since my mood is horrible pretty much ALL of the time. I don't want to go out. I just want to stay home. I don't really even want to socialize with people even if they are at my house. I think this is just me when I start to get closer to birthing. Isn't this what cats do when they're pregger? It might also partially be me being run down from the holidays. We've had people staying at our house since Wednesday, almost a week now. And... I'm just tired of going out every day for lunch, dinner, walks in the park, etc. etc. Blech. I think I'm going to go take a bath.

Does anyone else have this problem? I feel lucky I don't have too much pain. My ankles aren't swollen anymore. But I'm having trouble wearing pants since the low belly bands cut into my tummy sometimes. I think I'm going to have to switch to over the tummy belly styles or dresses all the time. I don't understand why I'm feeling so antisocial or just bad, when physically I'm doing pretty well. These hormones must really be taking their toll on me.
#6 of 100 Old 01-02-2006, 11:46 PM

Hi all!

Happy New Year! I have not updated in the last month. No reason, except being so busy and not wanting to be on the computer much. However, I miss keeping in touch with you all, and I feel out of touch.

Thanks for the tip about papaya enzymes. I also suffer from heartburn quite frequently. Tums help for me, but tell me - what damage does it do to the placenta?

I have had a lot of yeast problems lately. About a month ago, I had a bad rash under my breasts. The dermatologist said it was Candida. Lotrimin helped clear it up. However, I got a vaginal yeast infection not too long after. I took over the counter Gyne Lotrimin for seven days and I thought it was cleared. However, a week later, it is back! I hate to do another dose of that stuff, but I am unclear as to what else will help. I've been drinking lots of cranberry juice (unsweetened, yuck) and taking acidopholus tablets everyday. I have also significantly lowered my refined sugar intake (easier to do now that Christmas is over). I just can't believe the yeast is back! It is painful, too.

Other than that, things are great here. I've completely over the morning sickness and all of that. I am 24 weeks along now and I feel the baby all the time. We are all convinced it is a boy, although there is no reason to think that. We haven't officially "found out" via ultrasound. But the general consenus is that I am having a boy. Even our 4 year old DD keeps calling it her baby brother. We always remind her it could be a girl, but even I call it a "he".
#7 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 AM

We have been sick, sick, sick.
I had a fever for a few days and was having the worst time keeping it down. It went up to a 102 at some point. I broke down and took Tylenol which I haven't done for over three years. Eventualy my body kicked in and the fever is gone. But I have a cold to deal with now. My DH and kids all have a stomach virus. Everytime I turn around :Puke . Keep your fingers crossed that I don't get it. I don't think I could make it through without a trip to the hospital.
I see my midwife tommorrow. Hope to update again.
#8 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 AM

For heartburn woes and yeasties: Acidophilus is the bomb indeed, but please make sure it's live. If it's unrefrigerated tablets, it's dead and a waste of time and money. Refrigerated capsules are the way to go!

I take it every morning and am gonna increase to before each meal since my heartburn's gotten worse lately too. The papaya doesn't work so well for me, though I did stop taking Tums months ago (the aluminum is what's bad I think? I do take Maalox XStr tablets on rare occasions, but I also drink caff-free cokes poured from aluminum cans sometimes too *shrug* But I totally understand some mamas avoiding it entirely ).

Anyway I take Zantac 75 when the heartburn is absolutely unbearable, though I can totally tell a difference when I don't take my acidophilus. I didn't take it to Dallas with me over the holidays and my heartburn was a LOT worse.

Tomorrow's my last day at work and I'm sad to be leaving my sweet friends but soooo glad to be getting away from my greedy mean boss. Plus today I was in horrid pain from the sciatica. I swear I don't know what I'd do without my maternity belt. I honestly prefer the baby tapdancing on my bladder to pinching my sciatic anyday.

Oh so for Christmas, DH and I bought each other the same DVD *laughs* we're such cute goobers. I said, "Did you save your receipt?" He said, "Uh-oh. Um, no." I told him he should be thankful he's married to a Capricorn. He gave me a big kiss.

So we flew to Dallas at the buttcrack of dawn the day after Xmas -- and decided on the spot we will NEVER do that again. Not only was it pretty horrific flying in my condition (I so don't recommend it) but it was the most crowded I've ever seen an airport. Almost scary.

But the visit went well for the most part with only one minor freakout on my part -- I just did too much and they all wanted to go out to eat and I was exhausted and started crying (I never cry). Thankfully DH was precious and told them all I wasn't feeling well and we just went back to my SIL's and put on jammies and went to bed.

We stayed one day too long though. His family can only be nice to each other for so long then they forget they have company, I guess.

Arrived home and both of us have colds now though, ugh, despite taking mega precautions to boost our immune systems, etc. Oh well.

And I had two strangers today ask me when I was due then comment on how I didn't look like I'd "last 'til then."

I wanted to punch them both. I think it's good I'm not going to be working any longer.

Bought my first pair of ginormous over the tum pants. They look HIDEOUS but they are *so* comfy.

Gah, my back is hurting. Off to bed. 'Night!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#9 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 12:37 AM

Things are good here. I don't know if it is because I ate so much over the holidays or what, but I am having a hard time finding anything that sounds good to eat. I am just not hungry, today it was almost 2:00 when I realized I hadn't eaten lunch and I still wasn't hungry.

Something else to try for the heartburn is bifidophilus it contains acidophilus along with some other beneficial bacteria. I used it occasionally when I was pregnant with Ds and had an upset stomach or heart burn. My mom takes it after every meal and it has really helped with her digestion in general.

I got my birth ball (really just a $10, exercise ball) I am in love with this thing . It is really helping to loosen up my lower back and feels so good to roll my hips around. I have started sitting on it all the time, watching tv, on the computer. The baby loves it too, moves around alot.
#10 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 02:08 AM

I've been out of the loop on the weekly thread for the past 2 weeks. Too busy with the holidays I guess. We've got the sickies here too, only it's just beginning. Dd2 came down w/a runny nose and nasty sounding night time cough. Dh emailed me today from work that he's sick and bronchitis & stomach flu has been going around there (fun fun). My nose has been slightly runny and Dd1 seems okay so far (keeping fingers crossed). I'm usually pretty healthy during pregnancy but I'm nervous about getting hit w/something that would require antibiotics (which the people at dh's work have been on).

Dh is starting to get real nervous over my size. Although my mw measured me only 3cm above my dates at my last visit (a month ago), I think she was wrong. I measured myself tonight and got 35cm (I'll be 26 weeks on wednesday) - I just don't think I could be measuring myself THAT off. I think she just screwed up. My pulse has been high - is that supposed to happen? It was 109 at the grocery store the other night (bp was fine though) and I've just noticed in general that it seems unusually fast (resting heartrate even). Anyway, between my huge belly for dates, my very split ab muscles (which I don't think are an issue but dh is freakin about it), and now the pulse thing, oh, and the weird shapes we can feel through my belly but can't figure out what they are, dh is worried. He wants me to talk to my mw about it all and see what she thinks. I'll do it but I'm nervous that she might recommend an u/s, which I really really want to avoid. But if she does then I'll research the heck out of how exactly we'd benefit from whatever knowledge and then make a choice. If it's one of those wouldn't change a thing scenarios then forget it. And although I'm feeling pretty sure now that I'm NOT carrying twins, if they should find them then a homebirth attended by my mw would be out (which would mean a UC). So that's been a bit stressful.

But in more exciting news, we were all at the grocery store the other night and dh was paying and the kids were hanging all over the cart. I was looking at them and thinking how it will just seem so incomplete to me to just have the one more (total of 3 - this is to be our last pregnancy). I've been depressed about that thought a lot lately as dh is about to schedule his vasectomy for any day now, so the realization of it has really been on my mind. Anyway, when we got home I told dh how I was feeling and he said (and this blew me away cuz I didn't at all expect it) that he had been thinking the same thing too, especially since we're about to make this family of 3 kids thing official, and his only concern really is his age (he always goes into this diatribe about how old the youngest will be when he hits retirement). Anyway, we agreed to NOT do the vasectomy yet and just give ourselves a chance to make a decision later. Still hoping there's twins in there as that will simplify it all for me (I just want 4), but that's doubtful. So his willingness to reconsider and the fact that he was already on the same page as me just made me him so much!

Okay, last update. I took the girls to the mall the other day and when we were heading back out to the car (minivan actually, yes, I drive a minivan) I opened the doors (by remote) and they ran to get in. Well, my youngest (just turned 2) runs to the wrong side of the van and I scream (screech really) for her to stop b/c just then I see a car going 25-30 mph & gaining speed down our lane and as far as I could tell dd was running toward it. Well, I think I scared the crap out of a woman across the way from me but my dd froze. During all this I was sprinting around the back side of the van to hopefully catch her before she ran into the lane (not that easy to do these days) and I got her more towards the driver door than the street. I totally started bawling and couldn't stop all the way home. I felt like I really almost lost her and it was just awful. I retold the story to my mom the next day & started crying again! Sheesh, it didn't even happen but it's been really hard to cope with!

Okay, I'm through. Sorry to make that so long. Just felt the need to get all that off my chest. Oh, and I got heartburn for the first time (ever) the other day. Not fun - I don't envy any of you who've had to deal with it regularly.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Everyone is sick here, first with the flu, now with a cold. I have mega mega heartburn, I need to get some papaya enzymes to try! Mega mega hip spreading pain too, ouch ouch ouch. They day before yesterday was SO bad, and go figure, it was the day I didn't take that darned soy lecitihn supplement for my hips. I think it actually might be helping, resistant as I am to taking it .
#12 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I don't get heartburn all that much even when I'm pregnant; I just have to sleep sitting up. Papaya enzymes are expensive, though, and Tums are dirt cheap. There's no aluminum in Tums, though...

I have paranoid dreams about my older children all the time. When I was huge with BooBah, BeanBean was still young enough to run out into the street at random... Now BooBah does it, and she's faster than her brother was! Yick. At least I've got BeanBean, who is nearly as fast as she is and can generally catch her and keep her on the sidewalk. He's such a helpful little guy these days!

Last night, BeanBean got to feel BellyBean moving around! He was so excited and happy. He looked at me and said, "Daddy gets to talk to the baby..." I told him that he could talk to her too and he giggled and burrowed down under the covers and started whispering to my belly. Then he came back up with a huge grin and said, "I told her she can come out now!" It was hilarious. Well, it doesn't look as funny typed out, but at the moment it was very funny. Mike sings a song to my belly to the tune of Frere Jacques which ends with "I can't wait to meet you/I can't wait to meet you/Not too soon/Not too soon" but BeanBean apparently wants her out *now*.

#13 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
There's no aluminum in Tums, though...
Well I'll be darned -- you're right! I thought there was? Doh! Why are they bad then? Other than the fact that they don't always work....

------------------

Oh, and completely OT, but I found this website and I have been having a blast with playing with baby names: http://www.sun-angel.com/numerology/..._free_name.php We're finally starting to narrow it down. Going in for the 4D u/s either this week or next and I think once I get to see her little face that'll help a lot.

------------------

#14 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 01:45 PM

I have found that drinking milk helps with some heartburn. But if it's real bad it dosen't work as well. My midwife also suggested not drinking like 30 minutes before a meal, with a meal or 30 minutes after. (Not sure on exact time) But I can't eat without drinking. I hate chewing the tums.

Allison
Mom to 4 Daughters and a ? due the end of April
#15 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh wow! I eat every 3 hours while I'm awake, so I'd have a hard time getting my water in!
#16 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 03:11 PM

Hi everyone I hope you all had a nice new year. This is the first time in years that I didnt make it until midnight. I was just on the main page and noticed there are now 5 due date boards after us! We are all really moving along. I have went a full week without throwing up as long as I take my medicine in the morning! I am so excited. The puking has now been replaced by the lovely heartburn though and I got my first leg cramp in the middle of the night on New Years. I came to the realization the other day that I do not actually have 4 months to go until the baby arrives. Since the baby will be here the first week of April I actually only have 3 full months. It sent me into a slight panic since I really need to figure out where toput the babies stuff and get ready for it. The hospital offers a siblings class and I am thinking about signing the boys up. Kyle would probably love it. The other day a stranger actually aknowledged my pregnancy for the first time Up until now, I think if you didnt know me, you may have been not quite sure if I were pregnant or just fat so noone said anything unless I mentioned it. It was kind of exciting
#17 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM

I just got back form the midwife. I have hit the 30 pound mark and am measuring 29 weeks. I think we might have another big one here. I am getting "Any day now huh?" at least once a day now.
Oh and my little one has turned breech again. But the midwife says I have until 32 weeks.
I have read raw carrots for heartburn. It has worked for my hubby. Hope it helps.
#18 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I totally started bawling and couldn't stop all the way home. I felt like I really almost lost her and it was just awful. I retold the story to my mom the next day & started crying again! Sheesh, it didn't even happen but it's been really hard to cope with!
Oh, I feel for you! I had a few scares with my daughter when she was a toddler. When she was 18 months old, we were on the roof of our old apartment building, where the laundry room and clothesline were. Although the area was enclosed by a fence, there were a lot of broken slats in the fence. While I was hanging laundry, she climbed through one of the slats and was on the other side. Then, she laughed when I noticed her and started running. I tried to get through the gate and it was stuck. I didn't know what else to do so I screamed bloody murder. It was enough to shock her and stop. Did I mention that she was running toward the edge of the roof? Oh, I grabbed her and cried. I just sobbed and sobbed. I somehow managed to carry her downstairs and brought her to a nice neighbors apartment while I finished hanging the laundry. The neighbor was very kind, as I was practically hysterical. I had a hard time letting that one go - for days I obsessed about almost losing her.

I understand how you feel. It is so scary. We love our kids in such a primal, animalistic way. It is unlike any love we will ever feel for anyone else. I can't imagine what I would do if something happened to my DD. Our children mean the world to us, pure and simple.

I am glad your DD is okay.
#19 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burke-a-bee
Oh and my little one has turned breech again. But the midwife says I have until 32 weeks.
My baby likes to hang out head up most of the time so far too. My midwife said about 40% of babies are breech at this point so not to worry. She said that we shouldn't be concerned until 36 weeks, which is when she refers to an OB for an ECV. A breech homebirth is illegal in this state, so thats why they refer you out at that point. I don't understand why your midwife said you have until 32 weeks??

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#20 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 09:26 PM

We've had the never-ending-cold here, on week 4 or 5 now. Ds and I start getting better after a week or so, then bam! It hits us again. I'm annoyed with it. Dh has only gotten a sore throat though, so that's good (I've been hacking up phlegm for almost 2 weeks).

Heartburn is making it's comeback. I have a stockpile of Tums in the bathroom. Can't take papaya as ds is allergic to it, and he's still nursing a few minutes every morning or so.

I've been eating more than dh nowadays (I just can't seem to get enough food), and am up a grand total of 4.5 pounds. At 24 weeks.

Most of the time I'd rather sit on the couch and do nothing, then there's the occasional burst of weird energy during which I do something crazy. Like rearrange my pantry (photos in my blog). Or marinate a bunch of poultry for future dinners.

And turns out a friend of mine wants to throw me a baby shower! Just for me, and sooner than two weeks before the baby's due!

My pelvis is also not happy about the baby. I get that lovely feeling that my pelvis is in a million pieces every few days, to where I have to have dh cook and do kitchen stuff, on top of dragging ds around to get his diaper changed and hauling the heavy diaper pail downstairs for me.

Dh is going out of town for work for an entire week next week, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do that. Need to get more (homemade) soap from my soap lady, so I'm thinking about visiting my mom sometime that week.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#21 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
My baby likes to hang out head up most of the time so far too. My midwife said about 40% of babies are breech at this point so not to worry. She said that we shouldn't be concerned until 36 weeks, which is when she refers to an OB for an ECV. A breech homebirth is illegal in this state, so thats why they refer you out at that point. I don't understand why your midwife said you have until 32 weeks??
She actually said that they start "training" the baby to go head down at 32 weeks. I don't think she is concerned at all but that is when we will have to start focusing on turning techniques. (I'm more concerned than she is. I've never had a breech baby before.) I've felt hiccups near my bottom for weeks now and suddenly the midwife felt them up high today. They thought because I have been sick and coughing alot maybe the baby moved to feel more comfortable with my hacking cough. We shall see.
#22 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 10:18 PM

We had our 3rd ultrasound today, because last time, there seemed to be 2 placentas for 1 baby. The tech didn't see a second placenta this time, so I dunno. Hopefully midwife can illumine us in a couple of days.

I have had morning sickness with heartburn since week 5 1/2, and I eat when the heartburn starts, every 1.5 -2 hours, plus take 3 diclectin (anti-nauseas a day), because most of the time, that is what tells me I am hungry... So bizarre. I miss my old body sometimes....

I do soda water and tums as well. DH checked the bottle after I read that Tums have aluminum, and neither of us found it on the ingredients list. I wonder if they used to have a different recipe??

I am glad the holidays are over. I feel sicker when I have to explain to family we were staying with why I am eating and when I am eating and how sick I feel at this particular moment, instead of doing my usual routine which keeps me on a path where I barely notice I am doing a routine to keep myself sane and my food inside my body! So long story short, had a good visit, but Glad to be home!

Apparently our baby is breech right now too. Relieved to hear that 40% of them are at this point, and that it is not necessarily how he/she will be born. I kind of knew that, and will need more info, but I am reassured by that stat right now.

Mama to bikenew.gifBoots (April 2006) and Bolt.gifPebbles (November 2008).Wife to :treehugger.gif and mama to angel3.gifHeather, October 2003

#23 of 100 Old 01-03-2006, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
Well I'll be darned -- you're right! I thought there was? Doh! Why are they bad then? Other than the fact that they don't always work....
I just read why this was somewhere but now I can't think of where it was. I'm going to quote something someone wrote online here . It sounds like the same info I read. To me it seemed like the most important downfall of Tums was the third point made (how that affects your calcium absorbtion).

Quote:
First of all, Tums are made from calcium carbonate, the least absorbable form of calcium. This means that you will not absorb anywhere near the amount that is on the label. Second, calcium requires Vitamin D and magnesium to be properly metabolized. Unless you take them when you take the Tums, you're out of luck. Third, calcium requires a high level of acidity in your stomach to be properly absorbed. However, Tums, as an antacid, neutralizes stomach acid.
The Natural Pregnancy Book had lots of alternative suggestions. Raw almonds was one I haven't seen mentioned here, as well as a baked potato (sometimes helps), slippery elm bark (best taken on a regular basis or duing a bout of heartburn) - she said the easiest way to use it is to get Thayer Slippery Elm lozenges from a health food store (2 to 4 per dose, up to 3 doses daily), Digestion Tea (she has a recipe in the book - let me know if you want me to post it), dandelion tincture (20 drops 4x a day), kudzu root tea, and activated charcoal as a last resort and only when absolutely necessary.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#24 of 100 Old 01-04-2006, 12:41 AM

Found this on a website, but could find info that i have read before saying that the calcium in tums starts showing up in the placenta?? and i went to albertsons and the papya enzyme was really cheap!! just a couple bucks for a bottle.

"Here's what I've been told about Tums (that doesn't mean that it's right, but I'd trust these people before I'd trust a drug company any day): First of all, Tums are made from calcium carbonate, the least absorbable form of calcium. This means that you will not absorb anywhere near the amount that is on the label. Second, calcium requires Vitamin D and magnesium to be properly metabolized. Unless you take them when you take the Tums, you're out of luck. Third, calcium requires a high level of acidity in your stomach to be properly absorbed. However, Tums, as an antacid, neutralizes stomach acid. Also, the doctor and pharmacist both said that you shouldn't take Tums while pregnant (I don't know what their reasons were). Moral of the story -- Tums may or may not be safe, and it may or may not be a good source of calcium. I would recommend taking a different calcium supplement and examining your options if you have heartburn." http://home.earthlink.net/~tnk/pregn...html#heartburn

1. Soothe your stomach with mint -- 1) Mix a drop or two of peppermint oil into lemonade or other juice, or 2) Make mint tea (Pour boiling water through a strainer containing some dried peppermint or spearmint. Let it sit for a few minutes, add some sugar or honey if desired, and drink.).
2. Chew gum.
3. Drink a glass of milk.
4. Eat yogurt.
5. Eat an orange -- Doctors have told me not to eat oranges on an upset stomach because of the acid, but it always makes me feel better. Obviously, it worked for someone else, too.
6. Papaya enzyme tablets. You can buy these in natural food stores and some drug stores. They taste great!
7. Elevate your head -- Do not eat or sleep while laying flat unless required to do so for medical reasons.
8. Practice relaxation exercises to reduce stress. If you don't know how, see our "Relaxation" page.
9. Eat numerous small meals and snacks throughout the day. Never overload your stomach.

hope that helps

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
#25 of 100 Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 AM

I feel so fortunate that my HB has not been to bad so far! I keep looking for the papaya tablets though, and haven't been able to find them in stock anywhere. Bad luck I guess!

I had my MW appointment yesterday. Things are kinda uneventful right now. I gained 4 lbs in 5 weeks, after gaining 1 lb in 4 weeks, so I guess that is OK. I'm measuring a week ahead (28 weeks) but don't think that is a biggie. My biggest complaint has been pelvic achiness, and I think it's b/c I'm not doing kegels faithfully and it's the second time around. She also said I shouldn't be picking up my 2 yo so much- ha ha!

I'm sort of annoyed that I'm already starting to go in every two weeks- it seems so SOON! I guess I prefer a low-maintenance approach to pregnancy at this stage, I'm still not clear why you have to go in so often at the end- does anyone know why? (in a low-risk pregnancy).

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#26 of 100 Old 01-04-2006, 06:56 AM

I just can't keep up with this thread! I havn't been active on it for about a month and feel totally out of the loop.

I have a midwife appointment tomorrow, DS loves them so we're excited about that Holidays where good, DH had nearly 2 weeks off work which has been awesome but its also quite nice to be getting back into the routine of just DS and I again

I've been getting some baby things in the sales, they are just so cute and tiny . Its crazy though how hard it is to find gender nuetral clothes ~ does nearly everyone find out before birth these days?

No heartburn hear so I feel really lucky, maybe its not my thing though as I didn't have it last pregnancy either.
#27 of 100 Old 01-06-2006, 10:25 PM

I got my birth kit yesterday!
#28 of 100 Old 01-06-2006, 11:33 PM

Hi ladies, I haven't been around much lately and just got caught up with posts. I did have a braxton-hicks contraction a couple weeks ago. Just one so far. Anyone else? It was wierd, since this is my first.

My MIL has decided she doesn't want to be at the birth, but on stand-by at my SIL's house which is fine since it is an hour away and as long as they don't call while I'm in labor, maybe I will turn off the phone.

My baby has been doing this jump on the mattress thing lately. If I'm on my left side and it's feet are on that side like once or twice a week it will start jumping against the mattress and this last time it did this it was jumping so hard that you could see it's butt bouncing up at the top and then it would jump again with it's feet and it's butt would bounce up. It would keep doing this until I get up or move. My dh got to watch this last time. Too funny. Crazy baby already. This is really our baby, me and dh were both very active as children. I'm in for some fun when this one is born I can tell. Jumping on the mattress already. Sheesh!

Anyways, that is what is happening here. Hope everyone else is doing well. I hope I don't get heartburn. Sounds yucky.

Cathy

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#29 of 100 Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Of course the calcium in Tums isn't the most bioavailable form, though it certainly isn't the least. If you're using it as an antacid, though, to neutralize your heartburn, then you're going to end up with free Ca+ ions in your system (the negative carbonate ions are what actually neutralize the heartburn, which is caused by excessive loose H+ ions). In fact, if you actually have exessive acid in your tummy when you take some Tums, the calcium ions which are freed from your system will be just as bioavailable as would the calcium from, say, spinach; because the acid in your stomach has done the work, those free calcium ions would be just as easy to absorb. Calcium *carbonate* is still difficult for your body to process in general, but when you've got heartburn, the carbonate is quickly and easily separated from the calcium (because hydrogen ions bond more readily with carbonate than do calcium ions). Clear as mud?

I can see how excessive calcium in the blood stream could be a problem, how it could lead to calcification of veins and arteries in the placenta (or anywhere else), however I think that you would have to have another predisposing factor, as well as another source of calcium in your bloodstream, or that you'd have to eat a ton of Tums (ton-Tum-toffee, anyone? ) in order for this to be an issue. It's very unlikely, in my mind, that a pregnant woman who is taking Tums once or twice a week for heartburn (rather than as a calcium supplement) would have any problems with this.

#30 of 100 Old 01-07-2006, 12:17 AM

Hehe. Rynna, will you marry me?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page