Mothering Forum banner

Turn, baby, turn!

1K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  aprilushka 
#1 ·

I was thinking that we could start a happy turning vibes thread for those of us who are breech as we enter the third trimester.
I know that I'm hoping for BellyBean to go vertex in the near future...
Anyone with me?!

See less See more
#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle98sean02
I'm right there with ya. We arent breech, but painfully transverse

Ugh! BellyBean was transverse for about 8 hours and holy moly it sucked.
Even breech is painful for me, I have no idea how women have managed to do it for so long (BooBah was only breech for about 48 hours and that was long enough!)... Dude, it *hurts*!

#7 ·
When the baby's already awake, you can take a headphone and play soothing classical music REALLY softly (sound is magnified in liquid, so if it's loud in your ear, it's too loud in theirs -- make it just so you can hear it softly in your own ear) way down low -- I stuck mine by my pubic bone.

In some cases, the baby will scoot down to listen

I've done this a couple of times because the bean prefers to stretch out sideways. But yesterday was told she's technically head down, just curled around sideways instead of front-to-back. So I guess it worked. Mostly *grins*

#8 ·
As of yesterday, mine is head down but I suspect it won't stay that way for a while. So, I'm sending turn vibes to you and might need 'em myself later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nighten
I've done this a couple of times because the bean prefers to stretch out sideways. But yesterday was told she's technically head down, just curled around sideways instead of front-to-back. So I guess it worked. Mostly *grins*
I thought the ideal was curled around sideways - LOA or ROA with their backs curved by your side. There are diagrams at the bottom of the page here at Spinning Babies No?

#11 ·
LOA is best, especially for first time mothers. ROA have a greater tendency to turn to posterior in labor and get stuck there.

Here's to head down for everyone!

At our local ICAN meeting last night we heard an amazing breech story though from one of our members (double footling!).

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kate.first.babe
Mine was breech at my last ultrasound, but how do you know if it still is? Feels like she's doing somersaults in there sometimes!
I don't know how to explain it to people, but I've never had any trouble telling what position my babies are in. The head is big, round, and hard; hand movements are not as strong as foot movements, so I've always been able to tell the difference between punches and kicks... minibuns are soft and semi-round, but totally different from a head.
Right now, BellyBean's head is slightly to the left, resting "outwards" (away from my body); her spine is curled along the outside of my belly and down toward the left. At least one foot is down, I can feel her tapping on my cervix (which is locked up tighter than Fort Knox, as it should be for 27 weeks). I think that the other foot is moving back and forth between straight down and kicking the right side of my pelvis. I feel arm movements toward the top of my uterus and toward the right and back (toward my liver). She's rocked back and forth a few times (moving her spine along my belly, left to right) but she hasn't gone farther than the midline and she certainly hasn't shown any signs of turning back.

I tried to visit spinningbabies, but it crashed my computer; I'll do it tomorrow.

#17 ·
Since I am a late April/beginning of May-er, I am not TOTALLY worried that my little pinball is still transverse, but I know that as the baby gets bigger, it is prolly gonna get painful for it to be sideways like this, so I hope my little one decides to "make the move" soon! LOL Mine is lying head on the right and feet to the left... But I can feel it when it flips from back to front... I am carrying so low that I can totally feel like a brushing/rubbing/rolling sensation when the baby "rolls over"! It is so odd to feel! LOL But I can always tell when it does it! (Not to mention that afterwards I feel the kicks/punches differently when the babe is facing in as opposed to out... LOL) This is just so new for me seeing as my DD was SO high up and also was head down from 26 weeks (I am 25 weeks right now...) on and I couldn't tell unless I felt my tummy and felt a little bum sticking up as to if she was facing in or out... SO it feels SO odd to feel the baby SO low down and to know without feeling for that little tiny behiney which way my babe is facing!

But anyway, here's to
babies for us all!!!!!!

Kerri

#18 ·
i wont worry till i am farther along but i am having the big sisters talk to the baby down low once in awhile. head down vibes can never start too early!!!

#19 ·
Luke is transverse, and we are having discussions about it
. I was sectioned last time for transverse lie. Yuck.

I'm bouncing away on my ball and putting music down there. I was actually measuring big (2 lb 11 oz on Monday! - sono) and my pressures have been terrible. So I want him to move ASAP.

#20 ·
I think my upper baby (sorry I hate the twin A twin B thing - too clinical) might have turned last night. And now I so sympathize for those of you with transverse babies. It was soooo painful! I'm not real good at figuring out which parts are which, especially I think b/c there's twice as many parts to sort out, but it felt like the spine was resting along the surface of my belly sideways for awhile. Plus during that there was lots of movement from that baby and I kept waking up in pain from some part of it protuding into my side. So OUCH! How do you all do it? I was lucky to find that the baby had moved out of whatever position that was at some point during the night. I'm hoping it's head down now. I'm pretty okay with that baby being breech but I suppose it would simplify things if it was vertex. Oh, and I'm thinking there might not be as much time to turn as a singleton would have since it's sharing space.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I'm hoping it's head down now. I'm pretty okay with that baby being breech but I suppose it would simplify things if it was vertex. Oh, and I'm thinking there might not be as much time to turn as a singleton would have since it's sharing space.
Twin B frequently turns during labor, after twin A is delivered. It's *extremely* common, especially when twin A is vertex and twin B is breech. It'll only be a problem if twin B drops into a transverse position or presents an arm after twin A is born (I really hope that doesn't happen!).

BellyBean is still decidedly breech.
On th up side, today she feels like she's double footling, rather than kicking my sciatic nerve. I'm still in pain, but I haven't had any firebolts yet this morning...

#24 ·
My first was breech and despite my best efforts at a vaginal birth - we ended up with a section. This babe has been persistently breech until 2 days ago. phew... At 29 weeks, this shouldn't be worrying but who can blame me? Hoping this tike stays head DOWN. Will be sending up major head down vibes for all the April's. Its normal for lots of babes to still be head to heart till 36 weeks, but come on kids... do us a favour ! - early turning isn't too much to ask!!!

G

#25 ·
This was posted to several lists I'm on...of course, lack of attendants skilled in breech is now a much bigger problem than it was then, but it does show that Hannah is questioned by the medical community also...

Five years to the term breech trial: The rise and fall of a randomized controlled trial.
American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 194(1):20-25, January 2006.
Glezerman, Marek MD

Abstract:
Objective: On the basis of the end points of neonatal morbidity and death, the authors of the term breech trial concluded unequivocally that cesarean delivery was safer for breech babies.

Study design: Analysis of the original and new data gives rise to serious concerns as far as study design, methods, and conclusions are concerned. In a substantial number of cases, there was a lack of adherence to the inclusion criteria. There was a large interinstitutional variation of standard of care; inadequate methods of antepartum and intrapartum fetal assessment were used, and a large proportion of women were recruited during active labor. In many instances of planned vaginal delivery, there was no attendance of a clinician with adequate expertise.

Results: Most cases of neonatal death and morbidity in the term breech trial cannot be attributed to the mode of delivery. Moreover, analysis of outcome after 2 years has shown no difference between vaginal and abdominal deliveries of breech babies.

Conclusion: The original term breech trial recommendations should be withdrawn.

(C) Mosby-Year Book Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.