anyone getting an organic mattress for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-06-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for one, and thought I'd ask for any recs!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 AM

Yep

In the process of making the one for the cradle with quilting batting, but ordered the crib one here:

http://store.daxstores.com/v-snq-crib.html

Free shipping and the best price on wool/cotton that I found.

Am using some old, thin, tightly woven wool blankets (like army blankets only natural colored) for puddle pads. Much cheaper than buying them separately.

HTH!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 02-07-2006, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

AWESOME AWESOME, thanks!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2006, 07:02 PM

Glad to help.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In the process of making the one for the cradle with quilting batting,

Nighten, how do you do this? How many layers? How do you make the cover? I'm interested in this... (because all I need is one more sewing project right now... )

Mary
Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_mary
In the process of making the one for the cradle with quilting batting,

Nighten, how do you do this? How many layers? How do you make the cover? I'm interested in this... (because all I need is one more sewing project right now... )

Mary
(Really long reply -- apologies to the OP for the hijack)

Well, I'm stumbling through it as I go but here's what I've got so far:

You can use one of four different types of batting:

cotton/polyester blend
cotton
wool
polyester

Depending upon your resources and what you can afford, there's a variety of loft sizes and organic/non-organic available.

The only place in my area that sells batting is Hobby Lobby, which had a decent but not great selection.

The cotton/poly and regular cotton were just too thin -- I'd have had to do way too many layers to make it decent (cradle/bassinet mattresses don't have to be very thick at all but I wanted two inches' loft at least, ideally -- you'd be okay with 1-1/2" I'd think).

The wool looked good at first, in terms of thickness, but the only kind they had was treated with chemicals to make it "stickier" -- I forget the term (I've never quilted and haven't sewn in around 15 years so forgive my ignorance) -- but it was treated with something so it would more easily adhere to fabric. Anyway the more I read on the label, the scarier it looked. They were quite proud of their chemically solution. :

So that introduced the lots-of-prewashing factor -- I'd have to wash it prior to sewing it, since it'd be too bulky to go into my washer after the fact, but I'd have to get those chems off it to feel okay with using it. But washing it a lot in hot is a bad idea, as it's wool, etc. Hrmm.

Anyway if they'd had untreated wool, I might've gone with it, but the treated would've cost over $60 and that was too much for me to deal with the prewashing worry.

That left polyester.

I called home and DH reminded me that polyester itself isn't all bad -- it's the polys that give off nasty chemicles (polyeurethane foam, etc.) that are the baddies. Rynna can correct me on this I'm sure (I'm a lit person, not a science person), but I think polyester as a fabric's pretty benign. The Fuzzi Bunz I'm planning to use have fleece in them -- which is a polyester, yes?

So that's what I went with. (ETA: What I ended up getting probably isn't technically quilting batting as it's too thick -- but it was sitting next to the quilting batting so I'm calling it that ).

I made sure it was 100% polyester, and nothing else. It's got a 2-1/2 to 3" loft to it already so I'm not having to bundle/stack/sew it at all, which is good, since this is already in layered form and would be hell to sew. But it's also firm, which is good, since squishy (a la down) is unsafe. I had them cut it to fit lengthwise and will get DH to cut the width (if we had an electric knife it'd be super easy. Alas we don't).

It cost $10 for one yard. And it's washable.

Then I bought some of the nice organic cotton batting and am making a pillowcase-style cover out of it. It feels dreamy and I've just measured the "mattress" and added for loft, and am gonna fold over the end -- I think. I haven't a clue how to put in a zipper and I think folding would be okay.

That cost about $5 I think?

Then I've got the army-style wool blankets for the crib already to use as puddle pads and am planning on folding one in half and sticking it in the cradle.

Free.

Then using a pack-n-play sheet. Registered for, so hopefully free.

Anyway, it's working so far -- does it sounds crazy? If it works, then it will have cost around $15.

The organic cradle mattresses I found online were really expensive (@$100 or more) and I have no clue how long she'll be in there so I'm hoping my homemade solution will be okay. We're okay with spending the money on the organic crib mattress, but can't afford both.

Anyway, that's it so far. Sorry for the long reply but brevity was never a strong point of mine....

ETA: My mind's like a sieve these days...

Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks so much! This is great info., and I would love to know how it comes out.

Mary
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 PM

Don't know if this is off topic or not.

I'm assuming you are getting an organic mattress because of the risk of SIDS? (could be way off base though).

I have heard that "wrapping" a mattress will protect baby from harmful chemicals etc. in mattresses, and there's a process you can use. However, I found this website:

www.babysake.com that sells mattress covers. they have been using them in new zealand for a while now, and their SIDS rate has dropped overnight remarkably.

just wanted to throw that out there, if expense is a factor and that is your main worry. the mattress covers are $30.

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

No worries about the hijack! Sounds cool!

Beth-- I have heard about those! My concern is only partly SIDS, but mainly asthma, alergies, and general exposure to yucikness. I'm trying to avoid plastics, as well, so the organic natural fiber route fits more with my ideal, but thanks!!!

User Tag List