RhoGam Shot... - Mothering Forums
April 2006 > RhoGam Shot...
KerriAZ's Avatar KerriAZ 02:20 PM 02-08-2006
OK Girls! In need of your help!!!!

I am RH- (A-). I have no clue what my DH is (and neither does he!)... My first baby was O-. I had the RhoGam shot at 28 weeks with her as I was not informed about the mercury in it and all that. Well, her being RH- as well, I didn't get the shot again after her birth.

Now my doctor is telling me that I have to get the shot again. I have always heard that if you have had a previoud RH- baby and no m/c or abortions or aminos, then you do not have to get the shot again DURING that subsequent pregnancy. (I DID have a m/c between, but it was at 5 weeks...) Do I REALLY need to get this shot? Can someone help me out? My doctor insists that I have to have it, but I am not so sure! Not only do I not want to expose my baby to the mercury, I would prefer not to pay the $132 for it if I don't need to! (I don't have insurance...)

Here are links to two things I have read...

http://www.unhinderedliving.com/rhogam.html
http://www.vaccinetruth.org/rhogam.htm

If anyone else can provide me with some info so that I can go in "armed" at my next appointment (on the 21st...), it would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Kerri

mamatoady's Avatar mamatoady 03:00 PM 02-08-2006
I am O- and my dh is also RH-, you do not have to get the shot if both of you are RH-, could you have him get a blood test and find out what he is, it should take a day to get results and you wouldn't even have to worry about it.

2ndly, there is a mercury-free rhogam shot, according to a short article I read in Pathways(magazine from ICPA, International chiropractic pediatric association). I honestly don't know how you can get the information about that, but if you want to call my chiropractor, she can probably tell you(seriously, if you want the phone #, pm me)

There is archived information about the Rhogam shot on www.midwiferytoday.com and www.icpa4kids.org

you could also contact a midwife in your area to get some good information. I know that many women wait until after the baby is born and then get the shot, at the very least the baby isn't exposed to it in-utero.

if i were you, I'd have dh go get his blood tested tomorrow
sarah

I just want to add that if I were in your position and felt like I might need the shot, but couldn't get mercury free, there would be no way in he!! I would get that shot while pregnant....but I also don't vaccinate my kids.
KerriAZ's Avatar KerriAZ 04:31 PM 02-08-2006
Well, I know where you can get the mercury free one, but it is more expensive, from what I understand, than the "normal" RhoGam... I don't know if my doctor carries this or not. I am waiting a call back from them...

As for getting DH typed... I dunno if he would go in or not! Also, how much does it cost? Do you have any idea?

I have no problem taking the Rhogam shot mayself after the baby is born as I can do a blood clense for myself and take EDTA and all, but I just do NOT want my baby exposed!!

I called to tell my sister about it as she is RH - as well (her DH is RH + and all three of her boys have been +...) And she LIT into me! Saying that I HAD to get it... She even called her OB! (For those of you who know the whole story with her first baby, YES the same one who, if you ask me, was at fault for her baby not being here today by properly checking her and realizing that her FULL TERM baby was only 4 pounds among other things!!) Her OB, of course, insisted that I should have it and now "he is so worried" about me because I am not going to get this shot! (He WOULD insist on the shot to save his butt! I bet he always thanks his lucky stars that my sister didn't sue over what happened with her first one! I still can't believe that my sister still GOES to him, but she thinks of him as the best doctor ever! She's a bit nuts, I think! LOL) She insists that if THIS baby is RH + then I am harming this child! I kept trying to tell her that NO, this is not true! It will not affect THIS pregnancy at all, just a furture pregnancy if I don't get the shot after the baby is born if it is RH +...

Anyway, had to share my views, get feedback and vent about my sister!!

Kerri

PS I DO vaccinate, but it's selective and my doctor is great and only uses vaccines that do not contain mercury!
FreeSpiritMama's Avatar FreeSpiritMama 06:19 PM 02-08-2006
I'm A-, my DS is + and my DH. I choose not to have the 28week Anti-D shot based on the research I have done and the precautions I take to reduce any sensitization occuring. I had the shot after DSs birth and plan to again if this baby is +.
Its totally your choice and decision, dont let you DR make the choice for you. If you search the I'm Pregnant forum there is a long thread there about making the choice to have the shot or not.

Good luck , I know what a hard decision it is to make
newbie_mary's Avatar newbie_mary 08:07 PM 02-08-2006
A free way for your DH to get his blood typed is to give blood!! That's what we did, and it turned out that he's A- (I'm O-) so I was able to refuse the shot. I would bet that he could donate at any hospital or blood bank.

Mary
Wittyone's Avatar Wittyone 08:23 PM 02-08-2006
Finding out your DH's blood type is likely to be less expensive than a Rhogam shot but sometimes it's tricky b/c the blood test usually has to be ordered by someone (ie physician). If he would be willing to donate blood they will tell him b/c they type it. From a genetic inheritance standpoint, if you are Rh- and your first child is also Rh- then there is about a 50% chance that your DH is Rh- too.

Seems like it would be worth knowing in order to get people off your back, but whether you know or not there are still perfectly valid reasons to defer the shot until after the baby comes and you know for sure whether it's needed. If you're doctor's concerned about a liability issue just say the magic words..."I'd be happy to sign the waiver"
jenny-g's Avatar jenny-g 08:41 PM 02-08-2006
There is a lot of mis-information on this thread about Rhogam. There are other threads on the boards about this.

1) There is NO MERCURY IN RHOGAM, and hasn't been for three years. There aren't "two versions" and the mercury free one isn't "more expensive"- there is only one kind. That is one shot we don't have to worry about, mercury-wise.

2) If you are planning on ever possibly getting pregant again, you should get the shot.

3) The fact that your husband wasn't blood typed is insane. That should have been done before you got the shot last time- why get the shot, at all, if you don't need it? Get him typed. Giving blood is a free way to go it, but you won't get the results immediately. I believe that test will be cheaper than the shot.

4) Some people have reservations because Rhogam is: a) a blood product, b) has the possibility for creating a small amount of sensitization in the baby. The realities of hemolytic disease are so bad that, personally, I can't imagine why anyone would not get the shot, now that it's mercury free. Blood products are extensively scanned in this country, and a small amount of sensitization in the baby is far preferable to full blown hemolytic disease. Also, you can have a bit of placental tearing and blood mixing after your 28th week and *not even know it*- it's not like you would see bleeding and then have 24 hours to get to somewhere that has the shot. I was confused about that last point, and when I realized that, I got the shot immediately.

There is a lot of outdated misinformation on the web (and on here!)- do be wary of it. I think a realistic plan of action for you is to get the husband tested, and then get the shot if he is positive. Hemolytic disease will be a LOT more expensive than the shot! If you are positive you aren't going to get pregnant again (i.e. YOU will be sterilized), then no, you don't need it.. but as we all know, mistakes can and do happen, and we can't always predict the future .
Metasequoia's Avatar Metasequoia 08:56 PM 02-08-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoady
2ndly, there is a mercury-free rhogam shot, according to a short article I read in Pathways(magazine from ICPA, International chiropractic pediatric association). I honestly don't know how you can get the information about that, but if you want to call my chiropractor, she can probably tell you(seriously, if you want the phone #, pm me)

There is archived information about the Rhogam shot on www.midwiferytoday.com and www.icpa4kids.org

I just want to add that if I were in your position and felt like I might need the shot, but couldn't get mercury free, there would be no way in he!! I would get that shot while pregnant....but I also don't vaccinate my kids.
My chiro is the editor of Pathways, Jeanne Ohm, D.C. & the author of that article. I wouldn't doubt her information or her opinion on the Rhogam vaccine for second. If, in fact, you do "need" the shot, I'd search for the thimerosal-free version. That woman is one of the wisest women I've ever met (& an awesome chiropractor!)

Oh, & even if you wait until after birth to get it, the mercury would pass through your breastmilk, so you'd still want the thimerosal-free shot.
adinal's Avatar adinal 09:39 PM 02-08-2006
I am RH- as well. I did not get the 28 week shot. If baby is + I will get the shot after she is born.

There are too many questions for me regarding the 28 week shot, why it isroutine here, why it isn't in other countries, what giving a shot to a non-sensitized person actually does, etc. For me, it was not a good choice.

I did have a test for antibodies early on - and I had none. Since then I have had no spottting, no abdominal trauma, nor anything to lead me to believe that our blood has mixed. If I had I would have gotten the shot at 28 weeks.

I also don't know DHs type. He has been way too busy to go in and get typed unfortunately.

There is a risk to not getting the shot yes, but I don't believe (for me) that it is great enough to warrant injecting something into me that I have no had all my questions answered about. I also think that there IS a risk to getting the shot as well.

Weigh your options, do your homework and do what you feel is right.
ThreeTimesAMama's Avatar ThreeTimesAMama 06:53 PM 02-11-2006
I am A- and DH is + so I definitely got the shot, all three pregnancies, with no regrets. I agree with jenny-g that there is a lot of misinformation and needless suspicion about this. From my point of view, no way would I risk harming this or any potential future babies by refusing the shot!!!
adinal's Avatar adinal 07:01 PM 02-11-2006
Keep in mind that I am not talking about refusing the shot altogether - but not getting the 28 week shot. I WILL gget the shot after birth if baby is negative.

I am suspicious about anything that is billed to me as "you MUST do this". Always have been. Based on the research I have done, I have decided for me that the 28 week shot was not something I felt comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with it and feel it is neccessary - then by all means - do it!

But give me enough credit to assume that I have made an educated decision and am not just wantonly putting this and all future children at risk.
liam's mom's Avatar liam's mom 02:21 AM 02-12-2006
My dh is + and I am - in terms of blood type, and I have always gotten the shot. however last pg I was very nervous about the mercury and did lots of research regarding the lots and exp. dates of rhogam, and which had mercury in them. i ended up getting a shot of bayrho, though, which is the same thing but made by a different company. they were mercury free, which really was my main concern.

since rhogam no longer has mercury in it, i didn't have as much of an issue w/getting the shot this 2nd time. but i agree w/adina, that getting it after birth is probably much more important than the 28 week shot.

i would say you should definitely get your dh's blood typed. if he is - as well, you will not need the shot and that's the end of the discussion. if he is +, then you can go from there. good luck.
FreeSpiritMama's Avatar FreeSpiritMama 10:25 AM 02-12-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL
Keep in mind that I am not talking about refusing the shot altogether - but not getting the 28 week shot. I WILL gget the shot after birth if baby is negative.

I am suspicious about anything that is billed to me as "you MUST do this". Always have been. Based on the research I have done, I have decided for me that the 28 week shot was not something I felt comfortable with. If you feel comfortable with it and feel it is neccessary - then by all means - do it!

But give me enough credit to assume that I have made an educated decision and am not just wantonly putting this and all future children at risk.
:

Also the mercury is not the only issue with the Anti-D shot, imo just because it is mercury free does not make it safe for my preborn child.
Up