Feb. 28-March 7th UPDATES! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 03-06-2006, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ohno! I have alergies, and that's bad enough. ew. hugs!!!

we're having more sun, which totally helps!

I totally freaked myself out last night..... I did some work on the dresser, did some cleaning (nesting finally?!) and even lifetd some things-- bad mommy-- and was rewarded with one hour of every 5 min contrax for 30 sec. I've never been able to time them before, so i kinda freaked.

Much better today. but ugh.

hugs to all!
#32 of 39 Old 03-06-2006, 04:24 PM

Hi all!

I am sorry everyone is so uncomfortable. Me too! I feel okay during the day, but at night, it is a different story. I have been fighting a mild cold all weekend, so I have been more congested than normal. That means I snore even heavier (if that is possible), which means I am not getting any rest. I wake myself up with my own snoring - very feminine and glamourous, let me tell you.

Anyway, I have been waking up every hour on the hour at night, sometimes gasping for air. I wake with a sore throat and congestion. It is definately sleep apnea, but I don't know how I can be treated for this since it is pregnancy-induced. I drink lots of water, which then means every time I wake I have to pee. Gosh, me so sexy right now.

Other than that, I feel okay. I have major nesting urges these days, but nothing has come of it yet. I've been sewing some diapers for the babe. I washed baby clothes and diapers, but I have nowhere to put them. I guess I need to make a trip to IKEA.

Anyway, that is new with me. Hang in there, ladies. It will be over soon and we will be cuddling our new babies.
#33 of 39 Old 03-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Oh my goodness, I'm so tired too and baby is keeping me up also! She was posterior but turned, so now she is anterior something- her back is to my rights, getting lots of kicks on my left side. Yeah, she's night owl! It doesn't help that I seem to be having lots of things on my mind- Friday night I was exhausted but couldn't fall asleep b/c I was so upset about seeing a 3 yo boy slapped on the head/face by his grandmother at B&N... I keep wondering if I could have or should have done something. I've had a "sleep deficit" since then.

I had my MW visit here this morning... things are looking great! My BP keeps DROPPING, but that's good... a few weeks ago I was 130/80 at my old MW's, then at my first visit with my new MW I was 120/62... today I was 110/62! I am spilling a bit of protein so I need to make sure I'm getting enough protein she said. The baby is measuring "on time" now, 36 cm at 36 weeks, and her head is in a good position and she's pretty low but not engaged. My MW says to expect another big baby- dd was 9.5 lbs!

I need to buy my homebirth supplies- the chux pads, aspirator, that sort of thing. I'm still on the fence about a fishy pool- I am worried about our drafty house and whether I would feel OK using it in our dining room. Plus I might have to go to my MW's house anyway- her nighttime child-care person has fallen through. I get the feeling that it is 50/50 about whether I'll stay here or go to her (which I'm fine with- just don't want to be in a hospital!)

I can't believe it's only a month to my EDD- we'll have our babies before we know it!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#34 of 39 Old 03-06-2006, 05:51 PM

I'm sorry everyone feels so horrible. And sorry if I came accross sounding like I was snotty for not feeling like having a shower 2 weeks before my due date. It's just I'm hobbling today at work with back pain and grumpy. I don't think I'm going to make it to my scheduled work leave. I also checked and I have a baby shower for a friend of mine who is having a girl on the same day as the potential shower. So I've asked my mother in law if we can schedule a get-together for after the baby is born (about a month) when my husband's dad can fly in from Asia.

In any case I hope people feel better. It must be horrible to have the flu now. Good luck, celestialmama.
#35 of 39 Old 03-06-2006, 06:01 PM

My SIL had a little family get-together yesterday to celebrate our pre-baby state. It was too bad because everyone arrived so excited to talk about the pending birth and baby, but as each topic was introduced everyone realized how controversial it all was and it got more and more tense.

For instance, dh's dad is a pediatrician, so dh asked him if he would vouch for us to get an early discharge from the hospital. FIL said no in very strong terms, and my mom actually pumped her fist in the air in triumph. : It makes me so mad because she's never read a single book on child-raising in her life and she just plucks her opinions out of tv or her friends' gossip or wherever and then pushes them so strongly. I mean, this is a woman who let her OB talk her into a c/s after only 6 hours in the hospital with everything going fine. And then she raised us so well that both my sister and I suffered depression for years. The hitting and emotional manipulation in her childraising technique was lovely also. She should feel happy I'm having kids at all, let alone that I should treat them even remotely like she treated me.

I also asked FIL a careful question about the chickenpox vax, just to test the waters. He responded with little respect for people who question vax, and then my sister said she has two friends with autistic kids who both feel certain it was caused by vax - and then we all got quiet. A fun party.

My mom even freaked out at just the mention of flushable diapers. God forbid cloth! What's her problem?

But it was useful because we learned where our parents' limits are, and which topics we can discuss with them and which we can't. So I guess it was a learning experience. It's a bit sad, but dh reminded me that we're still a lot closer with our parents than most people are.

Anyway, dh installed our closet organizer and we may have found a painter to paint our apartment. So it's all moving forward, and hopefully the place will be all fixed up by the time db arrives.

Also, dh called our Bradley teacher with a question about what relaxation techniques we should be practicing, and she busted out with compliments about how we are so much more well-informed and willing to work with the program than most of her students! How nice to hear! All we have done is read the Sears birth book and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and practice the exercises they recommend. I don't feel like we've done a lot but it makes me feel better about the fact that only 50% of NYC Bradley students make it without medication - I hope it means we have a better chance.

The excellent news is that I had a stroke of brilliance that may land me in a better birthing situation. My MW practice is breaking up because basically the ones I like are ditching the ones I like not so much. I was supposed to be their last group patient, so I called my favorite one and asked in I could be her first private patient instead! And she said yes! pending administrative stuff and arranging backup. Her backup is going to be the other MW who I love! So this is wonderful! I could be guaranteed that one of the MWs I love will attend my labor/birth.

My brain keeps up its mischievous little game of letting me sleep just fine on the weekends but not letting me sleep when I have to go to work the next day. Good practice, I guess!

Have a good week, mamas!
#36 of 39 Old 03-07-2006, 09:56 AM

There is a major advantage to having a reputation as a geek. Most of the people who want to question my parenting decisions have long since learned something about me: I research *everything*, I've probably done more reading on any topic about which I have a strong opinion than any "layperson" should, and I'm not going to change my mind unless you can present even more research than I've already accumulated. My FIL tried to say something to Mike about the fact that I nurse in public, for example, and Mike just shut him down quickly and calmly without even blinking. "American sexualization of the human breast is an American problem. Breasts were made for nursing babies, whenever and wherever." SNAP! Mike rocks. My mom was a bit unnerved by me nursing in public, but it was mostly jealousy; "My breastfeeding barely happened in the house! It must be nice having a supportive husband." I have to say, it really is.

Anyway, I just quote statistics at people. It's quite funny, really. That said, I haven't told anyone other than Mike that I'm hoping to have this baby in the bathtub.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#37 of 39 Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 PM

Rynna, you rock. Your dh also rocks. It's difficult though because my FIL is a pediatrician - he will always believe he knows more about any child-related issue than me, no matter how much research I do. Even though he got his education in the 1950s. : I hate the way Drs think they are gods.
#38 of 39 Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid
Rynna, you rock. Your dh also rocks. It's difficult though because my FIL is a pediatrician - he will always believe he knows more about any child-related issue than me, no matter how much research I do. Even though he got his education in the 1950s. : I hate the way Drs think they are gods.
My FIL was a minister; he thinks he knows more about raising children than anyone else, because he knows The One And Only Correct Way To Do It! He also used to cut hair, so he talks about hair as though he knows something about it and lemme tell you, he so doesn't. (I'm mixed, though, and I've got a real thing about white people talking about my hair... ) Anyway, I work very hard not to point out that he obviously went astray somewhere with Mike, who, though he was "trained up in the way he should go" most assuredly departed from that way when he was about 11 and hasn't even thought about going back. :

I'm sure that FIL spends a lot of time musing about what went wrong with Mike... I'm just as sure that MIL doesn't think that anything did necessarily go wrong with him; she sees a good man who loves his family and who strives to do the right thing. FIL just sees a guy who didn't go to church after he finished his first year of college (he went to a Christian college for a year because his father asked him to and he didn't really have any direction anyway so he figured, why not? ). At least, not until I found out that there's a Quaker Meeting House about 2 blocks from us, and that the Quakers actually seem to really suit him.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#39 of 39 Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Hope no one minds that I posted the new update thread. Here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...36#post4720936

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page