Birth Predictions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this on the March DDC and thought it was a cute idea. We make predictions for what we think our labor/birth will be like. I'll go first:

Birthdate: 4/8
Length of labor: 12 minutes for the first baby, 23 minutes (from the start) for the 2nd baby
Baby's gender (if you don't already know!): a girl born first then a boy
Baby's weight: 8 lb 3 oz & 8 lb 4 oz
Baby's length: 20 inches long (each)

I think my labor will go so quick that I'll either be entirely alone, or home alone with just my kids. I feel that my dh will miss it, as will the mw's. I *hope* for a waterbirth but I can envision myself on my knees in sort of a squat on the floor in my bathroom giving birth (but that might be b/c I've seen that UC twin homebirth video too many times ).

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 03:39 PM

Since I ended up with an unwanted c/s the first time around I have to admit I'm really scared to predict anything. I predict I will be able to make decisions for myself better this time and that's about it.
#3 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 03:55 PM

OOH fun idea!

Okay, my prediction that I have had for a while was for:

Day~ Either the 19th or the 21st, but I am hoping for alot sooner. I have to be in this wedding Saturday and wanted to have her the day before so I could bow out...but now I'm not really wanting to.
Length of labor~ about 3 hrs from water breaking.
Gender~ girl YIPPEE!
Length~ 20 inches
Weight~ prob 7 lbs 3 oz. Hoping for smaller. hehehe
#4 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 PM

Fun idea

Birthdate: 16th April (I have 14 & 22 in my head aswell )
Length of labor: 6hrs from first contraction
Baby's gender (if you don't already know!): I have girl vibes
Baby's weight: 8 lb 10oz
Baby's length: 21inches

I think I will labour and birth at night, we have a skylight in the 'birth room' where the pool will be.
#5 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Oooh, ok..... basing this entirely on "gut"....

~March 26th in the evening... I think I'll go into labor while DH is at his church job that morning, but I'll not tell him til he gets home.....
~I think I'll make it to the Center as I hit transition, and birth will be fairly soon after that (this bugs me, cause I kinda wanna be there longer, but oh, well)
~I have NO sense of boy or girl.... I've only dreamed girl, but everyone started calling Babe a boy a while back..... I guess gut says Boy, which makes me think Girl.
~9 lbs 3 oz, 21 inches
#6 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:24 PM

Date: I have March 22 in my head b/c that's the gestation point at which ds arrived. Sometimes I think April 2. (actuall EDD is 4/8)
Length of Labor: 6 hrs
Weight: 8lb 2oz
Length: 21 inches
#7 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM

First time mom here so I really have no clue how it's going to go. I'm thinking:

Birthdate: 4/10
Length of labor: 10 hours or more
Baby's weight: 7 lb 4 oz
Baby's length: 18 inches long

How I picture the birth:

I picture myself sweating A LOT, most likely puking and dizzy, making my husband tell me jokes and then being nasty to him for it. I picture sitting in a tub, getting out cause I don't feel well, and then realizing it's better in the tub and getting back in. I imagine not remembering a lot about the actual end of the labor process, about the pushing, but I imagine looking into the baby's big eyes just after he is born. I think the baby will have big eyes and lips.

This was fun! We need more fun, with all the uncomfortableness of the last month.
#8 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:42 PM

Date: Right now I'm thinking labor will start on March 14th (next tuesday) which is the day I'm 37 weeks and also a full moon. DH kept accidently telling people my due date was April 7th, so I think that is what he is thinking. MIL is "absolutely sure" the baby will be born 3/19 in the middle of the night
Length of Labor: 6 hrs- last 2 hours more intense and midwife only there for the last hour.
Weight: if next week I think: 6lbs 4oz, if born on 4/7 I think 7lbs 12oz
Length: 21 inches

I was actually just thinking about this all last night! I really wouldn't mind if he came early....

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#9 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:48 PM

Here's mine:
Birthdate: 4/11
Length of labor: 8 hours
Baby's gender: boy (which we are pretty sure about from the u/s)
Baby's weight: 7 lbs 5 oz
Length: I don't know, how long are they usually? I'll say 20 inches.
#10 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Oooh, I love this! Just in case anyone is interested, I went back and found my prediction for DD that I made in the November 2004 DDC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnr
Here are my predictions: I will go into labor on a beautiful fall day! It will happen during the day, maybe mid-morning, somewhere between October 20th-25th (I'm due November 2nd.) I'm basing this on the fact that my mom had all her children a month early, but hopefully mine won't be a month! It will be a longer labor than most of you are predicting, maybe 12-15 hours, slow in the beginning, since I am a first-timer. It will start with contractions, not with spontaneous water breakage. DH and I will make it to the hospital just in time for transition (no transitioning during the 45 minute car ride please!) and babe will be here a few hours later, weighing in around 8-9 pounds! I cannot bring myself to predict the baby's gender, because I honestly have no idea, and I'm looking forward to a wonderful surprise!!
And the actual stats: October 27th, went into labor at 2:30am, arrived at the hosptial at 7am (transition lasted about thirty seconds--I felt one wave of naseau while walking into the hosptial), and after about eight hours of active labor, baby girl born at 10:24am, 22" and 9 pounds, 1.6 ounces. Not bad for a prediction!

And now my prediction for this time:
Actual Due Date: April 12th
Date of birth: April 20th, 6:30am
Length of labor: 4-5 hours active labor
Gender of baby: BOY! (Just a guess!)
Weight of baby: 9 pounds, 6 ounces
Length of baby: 22.5"

We'll make it to the hospital to meet the midwife around 5am, and I'll hop straight into the tub!! Baby will arrive among murmurs and dim lights, and will nurse as Daddy tells me the gender. Ahhhh...I love predictions!
#11 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
Date: Right now I'm thinking labor will start on March 14th (next tuesday) which is the day I'm 37 weeks and also a full moon.

I wondered if you were thinking the full moon! I will sooo be thinking of you that night.....
#12 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:01 PM

Birthdate: 4/29 or 5/2 if boy, 5/1 or 5/3 if girl
Length of labor: 2.5-3 hours
Baby's gender (if you don't already know!): I'm thinking girl, but still not sure - a few weeks ago ds kept saying I had a boy in there, lately he's been saying girl. We figured he'd be as accurate as anybody.
Baby's weight: 8 lb 8 oz
Baby's length: 21 inches long

I'm kinda hoping for a waterbirth because it sounds like a neat experience, but am concerned I might not be in labor long enough for it to be ready. And the reason for my different dates - my bday is May 5, aunt's is May 7, grandma's was May 9 (and just for kicks - we all got married in May, and were/still all happily married). So if it's a girl, it'll be May 1 or 3.

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#13 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 PM

Oh, oh, me too!!

Actual Due Date: April 24th
Date of birth: April 24th, 3:30am - It simply will be the 24th. I'm born on the 24th of the month, so is DS#1, and so is DS #2! DH thinks I'm crazy to be so confident about it

Length of labor: I'll be happy with 2-3 hours active labor
Gender of baby: Girl (Just a guess!)
Weight of baby: 7 pounds, 8 ounces
Length of baby: 20.5"

I'm picturing a calmer, slower birth than last time (2.5 hours) laboring at home, deep in the night in the bath & shower with awesome support and quiet strength of my DH.
#14 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Wow. Everybody is predicting their labor as pretty short. Am I crazy to think my labor will take 10 hours? What's the typical?
#15 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:18 PM

Birthdate: I'm getting a feel for either 4/30 or 5/3
Length of labor: If it could be 20 hrs or under, I'd be very pleased.
Length of pushing: If it could be under an hour, I'd be very pleased.
I'm expecting a girl.
Weight: I'm thinking between 9 even and 9 lbs, 3 oz.
Length: Probably ~21 1/2".

The baby's edd is 4/23. My 1st was born at 42 wks 4 days (emergency C). 9lbs 5 oz, 22 1/2". My 2nd was born at 41 wks 5 days, VBAC, 40 hr labor (with some "nudging" so I could avoid an automatic repeat C at 42 wks). 9 lbs, 4 oz, 22".

(I might have a better idea than most, since this is my 3rd... but I'm prepared to be surprised!)
#16 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpin
Wow. Everybody is predicting their labor as pretty short. Am I crazy to think my labor will take 10 hours? What's the typical?
I think our birth class teacher said 7 hours for the first time mom.....
#17 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Well, I had ds (my first) in 3.75 hours. First contraction at 4am, he was born at 7:46am. I really had no idea what to expect, but I was hoping I wouldn't have a 3 day labor. Since this time I won't be strapped down to a hospital bed and will be able to labor and eat whatever/whenever, I'm thinking it won't take as long this time.
On top of that, my mom had my sister and I in 3 hours each, my grandma had my mom in 45 minutes and first uncle in 20-30 minutes (the subsequent 4 were induced because she lived 2 hours away from her doctor - each popped out in less than an hour). So I just think the girls in our family were built really well for childbirth.

Lanna

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#18 of 63 Old 03-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Wow, what fun!

OK mine might be kinda rambly... sorry.
EDD 4/8
Actual date: I have this weird funny feeling like it might be earlier, but it would be cool if this one comes on 4/8 because we have 2 kids with 30th b-days, 2 with 1st of the month b-days, and one with an 8th b-day, so this would make two of each date LOL! Silly, yes, but fun.
Labor: all my NATURAL labors have been fairly quick from "active" labor until birth. I do the prodromal labor for WEEKS ahead of time though. Once I am *sure* I am in labor I predict 5 hours or less. My water won't break until I am pushing spontaneously, if it breaks at all. I'd love to have one born "in the caul."
Gender: This is a girl, she has dark hair, and dark eyes (based on a "birth dream" I had a while back, and on gut feelings about gender)
Weight: IF the "early" thing happens, probably around 5-6 pounds, but if she waits until the EDD or past, 7 pound-ish. This baby feels about the same size as my others did at this stage, and they were all 7 pound range. The MW actually told me last time that the mom's guess of the size once she's had several babies is WAY more accurate than either the MW's guess by feel or ultrasound weight estimates!
Length: 20"

She will FINALLY settle down and stop flipping, coming out headfirst. I will push her our easily and gently, lifting her up to my chest. I will look down into her wide dark eyes, and she will be pink and warm and amazing. After a few moments of pure bliss, I will look down to see if my guess about her gender was right. She will be feisty and spirited, very active and bursting with life. She will live up to her name, which is a secret for now, sorry. It came to me in the middle of the night before she was even conceived and took very firm root. If this baby is not a girl I will be shocked, and I will end up hoping someday we have another girl so I can use that name LOL!

Kathryn
#19 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Textbook "typical" for a first time mom is 14-16 hours. Of course, I think you have to consider that a lot of places practice active management (more or less) which follows the rule that the mom must dilate a cm per hour and push for no more than 2 hours which would give you a 12 hour labor total. However, that's no fun b/c your labor would then be forced to fit that mold. But I think it's realistic to expect a first labor to be in the 14-16 hour range minimum. My first was just short of 10 hours, but then my 2nd was 90 minutes so I think I'm an exception to the rule. And then there's lots of 20 hour+ moms out there too. So there ya go. No way to know til you do it.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#20 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy
I think our birth class teacher said 7 hours for the first time mom.....
This seems SO short to me. Isn't 12-24 hours expected for a first-time mother? With the second labor generally about half the time of the first? (If there were any such rules to be followed, LOL.)

Anyway, if my 2nd labor is only 24 hours it will be a picnic. (First was 3.5 days.)

I know this is going to sound weird (and negative), but along with my whole "I have a feeling this is a boy baby" sense (which seems to be correct--confirmed twice) I also had the feeling that my VBAC was going to go up in smoke. Not anything bad or dangerous, just that something was going to prevent it (not dialating at all, breech baby, etc) and I would wind up with another c/s. Which is not a tragedy, just a huge PITA. If tandem nursing doesn't work out, though, that would upset me infinitely more. That's just me.

I have no idea when this baby is coming. For some reason I've had April 4 in my head, but that's probably because I love the U2 song "Pride (In the Name of Love)." But if I am already dropped and dialated by 37-38 weeks (still March), I am going to do my best to put myself in a situation where I can VBAC this critter, who is already measuring big.

But really I'm just prepared to be surprised. (Although I fully do NOT expect to be caught at home with just my husband and my doula, have an easy labor, etc. Would solve the problem of what to do with dd, though. )
#21 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Birthdate: I'll guess about April 10th.
Length of labor: from when it turns "serious" to when the baby is born, no more than 6 hours.
Length of pushing: 10 minutes, tops!
Weight: At least 8 lbs, probably closer to 9...
Length: I don't know this measurement for any of my children!

This is my 3rd, so I figure it will go a little faster, but I kept it the same as the last, as far as length of labor, just to be on the safe side. My girls have both been late, so that's why I think I'll go a week past my due date. As far as weight goes, I think this one is bigger and I'm kind of hoping for a boy (although I don't *really* care either way!) and so I'll go with a little heavier, too.

As far as pushing goes, I plan on waiting until I feel the "urge" to push, if I can. I have never felt that before! In the hospital, I was always told to hop up on the bed and start pushing as soon as I was fully dilated, so this time, I hope to just rest and wait for that "uncontrollable urge" to push that some people describe.

We'll see how it turns out - I hope it is as easy as I am envisioning!!

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#22 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 02:11 PM

Date: March 27 (based upon quickening chart -- actual edd 4/12)
Length of Labor: 6 hrs at least
Weight: 6lbs 13 oz
Length: 19-1/2 inches
Either red or blonde hair and blue eyes.

Everyone keeps telling me that first time moms always go past their due date, but she dropped over a month ago and I've been having nonstop contractions for nearly a week....My bag's packed already.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#23 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM

Birthdate: March 10, sometime in the evening
Length of labor: 26 hrs from water breaking (mine are all long)
Length of pushing: 3 ctx worth
Weight: 5 lb 15 oz
Length: 18 1/2 inches.

I feel like he's coming soon. I think my water will break tomorrow. Maybe because I've had it stuck in my head that I need to make it to 34 wks and tomorrow is 34 wks.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#24 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfamilygal
I feel like he's coming soon. I think my water will break tomorrow. Maybe because I've had it stuck in my head that I need to make it to 34 wks and tomorrow is 34 wks.
I hope you can keep baking that baby awhile longer! Sending you lots of good luck vibes if something does happen soon. Are you having any signs of impending labor?

~Rebecca~

#25 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemommy
I wondered if you were thinking the full moon! I will sooo be thinking of you that night.....
Awww thanks! I'll be thinking of you too! Maybe we'll both have our babies then

~Rebecca~

#26 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
: You all have feelings about this????

Maybe cause it is my first, and my best bet is always to take it as it comes...I just don't.

The only thing is I don't think I will be late, more like around the 11th. But no clue how long labor will be...no clue how big baby will be...pretty sure it's a girl (per the u/s) ...

Just sort of waiting and seeing.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#27 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM

This is my first pregnancy so I do not know what to think. However, in the back of my mind, I am going to either be at work or driving and my water is going to break. My husband is not going to answer is phone immediately, so I am going to drive myself to the hospital and he will meet me there. I think it is going to happen on March 28th, which is the day that he has something major going on at work. I think I am going to labor for 12 hours. I think my husband will not know what to do, but what he does during the labor will be just what I need. Then our baby boy is going to come out, I won't tear and he will latch on immediately. I guess this is more of what I hope will happen then what I predict. I do think that I am not going to be home when my water breaks. As long as I am not in school, then I am fine.
#28 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 05:11 PM

Mike&Toribaby, you know only a few women begin labor with their water breaking. For most it starts with contractions with membranes intact, and the membranes don't break until well into active labor. Let's hope this happens for you (and me) - a lot less painful that way!

And to add my contribution to this thread - I guess I'm either too superstitious or too science-minded to make predictions. All I can do is a fantasy scenario:

I feel fine throughout my last 7 weeks and work up until the very end. I labor like my mom did with me - nothing stronger than a strong menstrual cramp and getting to 7 cm in 7 hours. All my Bradley prep pays off and I feel fine and it's fun and exciting, although hard work. I go to the hospital after transition ends to avoid the triage (hospital is 5 blocks away and I get a half hour break after transition to make this possible). Baby slides out and is healthy and beautiful. I have no tears. I dance to the recovery room with baby in my arms and all the epi ladies see me and think they will try natural next time. I luck into a private room and dh can stay with us. We hang around adoring the baby for 12 hours and then we walk home with db in a sling.
#29 of 63 Old 03-08-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid
Mike&Toribaby, you know only a few women begin labor with their water breaking. For most it starts with contractions with membranes intact, and the membranes don't break until well into active labor. Let's hope this happens for you (and me) - a lot less painful that way!
I was sure that labor wouldn't begin with my water breaking with BeanBean. Turns out I was wrong.

My predictions:

My water will break sometime in the early evening on the 30th of March. I'll have no signs of labor at all before that, but afterwards I'll have contractions which will eventually work their way into being labor. Baby will be born in the bathtub on the 4th of April, 7 lbs 14 oz, 21". Labor will be long and agonizingly painful, but I will be stubborn and refuse to tell Mike that I even suspect labor until I'm in the bathtub.

Although I have this recurring dream that I'm talking to my mom and she says, "You're in labor," and I keep telling her that I can't be in labor becuase it doesn't hurt. Then I feel sick, run to the bathroom thinking that I have to poop, sit down on the toilet and out slides the baby. Ah, that'd be nice... no pain...

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#30 of 63 Old 03-09-2006, 01:52 PM

First off -

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
Everyone keeps telling me that first time moms always go past their due date, but she dropped over a month ago and I've been having nonstop contractions for nearly a week....My bag's packed already.
My DD (my first baby) was two weeks early, so no, first timers don't *always* go over their due dates!

As for me...

Birthdate: April 14th around noon-ish (EDD May 2nd but have had strong feelings of April 14th and even a couple of 4/14 dreams...)
Length of labor: 7 hours (hopefully! LOL)
Length of pushing: 30 minutes?
Gender: Not sure. Keep wavering back and forth on my vibes... At THIS moment, I am thinking boy...
Weight: 5 lb 10 oz
Length: 18 1/2 inches.

This is how I envision it - whether it happens this way or not, I don't know, but I have been visualizing it in hopes! LOL I wake up in the early morning hours of the 14th having contractions. I get out of bed and take a shower and labor quietly alone until my DH's alarm goes off for work. I tell him when he gets up that I am pretty sure I am in labor. He goes to take his shower. When he gets out I let him know that this is for sure it. He calls his boss while I call our friend who will be watching our DD for us. DH gets DD out to the car and we head off. We drop DD off at our friend's house and head to the hospital, me calling my mom on the way. We get to the hospital and I labor a little while longer and then my healthy baby is born...

I hope my visualizing works!

Kerri

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page