anyone doing the advanced genetic testing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess state law varries, and WA only requires a few, but you can get a kit to use instead up to like 80 of them..... anyone doing this?

It's not toooo $$ ($80 for the most, I think).... but I'm so overloaded on testing and things.... ugh.
#2 of 4 Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Are you talking about for the newborn screening? We are planning on just doing the normal newborn screen which for WA includes screening for the following: Biotinidase deficiency, Congential adrenal hyperplasia (CAH), Congenital hypothyroidism, Galactosemia, Hemoglobinopathies (including sickle cell disease), Homocystinuria, Maple syrup urine disease (MSUD), Medium chain acyl-coA dehydrogenase deficiency and of course Phenylketonuria (PKU). I have a friend who's son was found to have congenital hypothyroidism on the newborn screen which could have caused serious problems for him if they hadn't found out right away, so I'm all for doing the newborn screenings. Not sure on how necessary the test is for 80 diseases, but I could see that *if* your child did have one of those things it would be good to know in most cases ASAP. I haven't heard from our MW or ped about testing besides the stuff that they already do in WA, so I hadn't really thought about it more. Do you have any links about it?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 4 Old 03-09-2006, 10:14 PM

CA expanded their newborn screening last summer. They went from screening for 4 disorders to over 40. Anyone who does newborn screening gets the full screen now. They don't anticipate finding a lot more children with disorders b/c the additional things they are screening for are so incredibly rare...however, like LHB said, if your baby is one of those rarities it's important to find out as early as possible.

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2006, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

I do have links.... i wrote them somewhere.... if I find them, I will paste!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page