Labor Projects - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I've been trying to think of a labor project since I'm having a homebirth. What is everyone else doing? I just can't think of anything that would keep me focused.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2006, 05:06 PM

Baking and making curtains if I haven't made them by then. (But I doubt they'll wait til then honestly.)

Definitely baking though. I want to bring some goodies to the birth center with me for the nurses, and leave something at the house for our housesitter while we're gone.

ETA: You could bake a cake so as to have a Birthday Cake there at home after the baby arrives.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 03-12-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi, I'm lurking from the March board. I was thinking about baking something for the nurses too when I go into labor. I'll be in a hospital for delivery so I figured a major kiss up gift with chocolate in it will help with any attitudes I may get for my birth plan. :L

I love the idea of baking a birthday cake too! I figure baking is easy enough that I could do it between contractions. Maybe a simple bead necklace, or a dream catcher for the babies room if you are looking for a project to help you focus.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:45 PM

We are having a home birth too. I plan on baking a birthday cake and Dh says he is going to brew beer I also have a book of Mandalas to color, and a small cross stitch project to work on. I'm hoping everything will move along quickly and I won't have time for any of it.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:56 PM

If I have early labor that goes on for days I'll work on gardening. For some reason gardening and birth seem connected to me. If it looks like it's picking up I'll limit myself to a cake.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:58 PM

Last time I showered, packed my bag (not applicable in your case, LOL), played the piano (at 3am), surfed MDC, and basically ran around like a chicken with my head cut off! I don't recommend it, because I was wiped by the time I got to the hospital. Maybe something nice a quiet, like sewing/knitting, or at least something where you can rest a little.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:27 AM

I've never had an early first stage of labor (just the hard active stuff where you're not able to do anything else) but I might try to make sure I have ingredients on hand for chocolate chip cookies or something. That way if there's time I can do that as a project with my kids or someone else can at any rate. I might just try to watch a movie or something simple like that. Hard to say!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:58 AM

I'm planning to do some puttering around the house, and then have several "old favorite" books on hand. Things that I love to read and reread that take me to a good place. Plus you can read while pacing, on the birth ball, whatever you need to do.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:44 AM

Baking seems to be popular...I love the idea of making a birthday cake and taking it to the birth center for a celebration with everyone, that would be really fun. I read a birth story one time about a midwife who started a pot of homemade chicken soup when she arrived at the house and it was ready when the baby came. Having something yummy like soup to feed everyone after the birth would also be nice. To the pp who mentioned gardening - that really sounds awesome. It would be cool to dig in the dirt while in labor, very grounding (pun sorta intended ). Given my family history I will be shocked if I have a short labor, so some projects to keep me occupied but not wear me out sound great. My hope is to ignore labor until I can't anymore

Jessica, CNM placenta.gif+ DH geek.gif + sweet boy (4/06) jog.gif
Old 03-13-2006, 01:09 PM

Also planning another homebirth.
I mostly just do last minute cleaning up like vacuuming, washing the floors, washing the bathroom. I like everything to be nice and tidy especially for labor. I don't want to be in the tub having major contractions while thinking "the boys missed the toilet again...there's pee on the floor!!"

Last pregnancy, my water broke first. Since I had no contractions and my boys were at my parents' house, we cleaned the house, went out to our favorite Vietnamese Restaurant, then watched tv until quite late. We will try to go out and eat if my water breaks first again this time.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:23 PM

I'm going to make sure I'm caught up on laundry, that the house is neat, and try to rest!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Old 03-13-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyPage
I'm going to make sure I'm caught up on laundry, that the house is neat, and try to rest!
:

I'll probably also go for a walk,do some really gentle yoga, meditate for a while or listen to my hypnobirthing CD. I might also bake a birthday cake. Oh and set up the pool !
Old 03-13-2006, 04:57 PM

I'm sure I'll still have PLENTY of cleaning and straightening and maybe even yardwork I could do! LOL! I might start some turkey/blackbean chili....(((((HUGS))))) sandi
Old 03-13-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpiritMama
:

I'll probably also go for a walk,do some really gentle yoga, meditate for a while or listen to my hypnobirthing CD. I might also bake a birthday cake. Oh and set up the pool !
me too! just make sure everything is ready to go with the birth supplies (ie the bed made up, the pool set up), listen to my hypnobirthing affirmations CD, possibly bake something or throw something in the crockpot, etc.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 03-13-2006, 06:51 PM

The birthing center I'm going to bakes a birthday cake while your in labor.

Allison
Mom to 4 daughters and ? due end of April
Old 03-14-2006, 04:37 PM

OMG, that is awesome!!!

I'll be baking chocolate chip cookies (the MWs are fighting over who gets to come to my birth... heehee), Birth Day cake for babe (I've always wanted a spring baby, and this little critter is having Lemon Cake, and will have Garden/Tea Parties for Birthday Parties... at least as long as I get to be in charge!), maybe make something yummy to eat when we get home from the BC... like a pasta something to throw in the fridge.... play with the dog.... and I've got some of my fave movies lined up if it gets to the rest and be distracted phase.....
Old 03-14-2006, 04:44 PM

just being in labor is activity enough!! i will probably take a bath and try and get some sleep or at least quiet rest in bed. maybe watch a movie with my girls since it will be the last time i'll be a mother to all girls!!

last time i had something i had to do.....my belly cast. i dont like having anything i must do. i really dont antisipate having too long a labor this time so i am not planning any projects.

Angela: Catholic Homeschooling Mom to Sierra(11/00), twins Addison & Kendall(3/03), Jack(4/06), Brielle (7/08), Levi (2/2011); due with#7 (9/13). Birthed every witch way.....hospital. C section. VbAC. Unassisted water birth (hypno/painless). Assisted waterbirth to an almost 10lber! (Not painless!)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 PM

Sitting in the bath reading sounds good to me! But I haven't planned anything specific. Last go round, I had the sudden wild urge to rake the yard. It was early February and we still hadn't gotten the last of the fall leaves rounded up on our large corner lot. I went out and raked for over 3 hours straight...believe me, that got labor going! Who knows what craziness will come over me this time!!!

Dawn, mom to 3 great kids and fishnoodles cloth diapers
Old 03-15-2006, 02:46 AM

I started crocheting a baby afghan this afternoon. Then realized that I would need a lot more yarn that what I had. So it's either gonna be multi-colored from different left-over skeins or I will dump it and start over.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, lots of baking and cleaning. yeah, I'm thinking I will atleast clean the bathroom while I'm in labor. It always needs it. I did also buy a cake mix yesterday and was going to have my mom make it, but that might be a good project to do too. I could get some icing too if I have time and decorate it also. I just wish I could have the brownies I want to make, but midwife says no chocolate for two months after the baby is born. That is going to be really hard. I could also sew some more on my quilt I'm making, that might be a good focusing project, but we'll see what I have time for. I might not have time for any of it.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

Old 03-15-2006, 07:26 PM

Why no chocolate??? Just curious...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 PM

wow... it never occurred to me to do a project during labor. when it's not difficult, it's not labor and when it is difficult, I won't be able to do much but focus on not waking the neighborhood.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife said babies intestines are really sensitive to chocolate for two months after it's born. She said one lady even ate just 2 choc. chips and baby had problems for about 20 hrs afterwards.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathysteck
My midwife said babies intestines are really sensitive to chocolate for two months after it's born. She said one lady even ate just 2 choc. chips and baby had problems for about 20 hrs afterwards.

Okay normally I'm one of those be careful about what you eat while you're pg types, but I think that's WAY over the top.

Yes, some babies do seem to react to certain foods in mama's diet while BFing (I had a dear friend who had to swear off bell peppers and onions while BFing because her babe had some tummy issues with it -- and seemed unhappy about BFing after she'd eaten the stuff) but can't you experiment with the foods BEFORE you swear off them?

I mean you eating a chocolate chip cookie is not going to kill your child via breastmilk.

I'm sorry but the thought of no chocolate for two months is just...cruel. Am I being unreasonable? Or is your midwife a little extreme? (I'm sorry I don't mean to criticize her expertise but if mine told me no chocolate for two months just in case the baby might not like it, I'd tell her to bite me.)

E: Because I can't type

Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

I thought so too, but she's been a mw for 30 yrs. so I listen to a lot of what she says. I really wanted my brownies though and now if I eat them I will feel guilty. Maybe I can make them a couple days before I think I will go into labor. I can't have sugar right now so I will have to wait.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:23 AM

Hmmm... I think I'm going to relax, take a bath and spend time with my DD because it will be the last time that it will be just me and her! I'm planning to have all my "projects" wrapped up before 36 weeks, so I can just relax and focus on the baby, DD and myself. Baking a b-day cake is a REALLY cute idea, though! If anyone does this, PLEASE post pictures!

Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 PM

If you have no family history of food allergies/unknown allergies/infant skin problems/infant hair sticking straight up then I wouldn't be so tense about the chocolate. If, on the other hand, you've got a family history of allergies *or* you had a strong aversion to chocolate/milk/sweets/whatever during your pregnancy, I'd certainly hold off for a month or two (or 11) on highly allergenic foods. I didn't eat any chocolate for the first 6 months after BeanBean was born for those very reasons. When I *did* try to have some chocolate at that point, he got sick. It was a straight correspondance; I had a chocolate bar, BeanBean got horrible diarrhea. I had to wait until he was much older to enjoy chocolate, dairy (aside from yogurt), or caffienated anything. In fact, when BooBah was about 6 weeks old and BeanBean was 21 months old, I decided to try drinking a cappucino. BooBah didn't react at all, but BeanBean woke up 4 hours later to vomit spectacularly all over daddy.

Again, though, we have a looong family history of allergies to food items, and I was seriously averse to chocolate and caffiene during my pregnancy with BeanBean. Without those two issues, I wouldn't havef been nearly so careful.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathysteck
I thought so too, but she's been a mw for 30 yrs. so I listen to a lot of what she says. I really wanted my brownies though and now if I eat them I will feel guilty. Maybe I can make them a couple days before I think I will go into labor. I can't have sugar right now so I will have to wait.

That's totally cool. I'm sorry you're having to deprive yourself though. It's bad enough we have to go 9 months but to continue to have to after the baby's here...just sucks. *sigh*

I miss my glass of Beaujolais ever so often and I really miss my lattes. Can't imagine what I'd do if I had to knock out chocolate entirely.

Be right pissy, I'd bet. Thankfully there's not a history of food sensitivity in my family.

User Tag List