How do you buy a nursing bra? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm given to understand that my breasts will inflate like blowfish right after I give birth. Is there any way to buy nursing bras in advance when I don't know what size I'll need? I was big to begin with so I'm a little nervous about what this might entail.

Thanks in advance for your help!
#2 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM

Hmm, I just waited until after having my first dd and then went out and bought one. Maybe you'd be safe sizing it up one cup size? I'm not sure honestly! I don't get a major size difference like most women seem to get. Sorry - I'm of absolutely no help!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#3 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 02:30 PM

Oh,please wait.About 3-4 days after giving birth your milk comes in and your breast get huge!Then when your body adjusts to milk and the amount your baby nurses they eventually go down some(around 2-4 months)then as you lose some pregnancy weight they go down more.

But i will say to go get some sports bras in a few different sizes and this will help with the discomfort.I would get 1 and 2-3 sizes bigger then what you are here at the end of your pregnancy.
#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 02:37 PM

With my DS I just bought a few different sizes. I bought a few that fit well after my milk came in and kept the rest for when they started to go down. This time I had a fitting done at Motherhood Maternity Outlet. The saleswoman was helpful and sized me. Iwas in between a 46d and 46e, so I tried both and settled on the d, it was more comfy. I still have room to grow because its stretchy, but supportive, I need jeans made like that,lol.

Dawn
#5 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 03:44 PM

There are many different ideas about this~some say to give yourself three inches difference if buying in advance. I personally think the optimal time to buy a nursing bra is six weeks post partem, but of course you need something to get you through until then!

I LOVE the link below~I have become about a J cup over my nursing years and cannot easily find nursing bras. They have all sizes and are very knowledgeable, so if you felt the need to call them they would be very beneficial in helping you decide what to purchase! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

http://www.birthandbaby.com/

P.S. They ship for FREE!
#6 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 04:06 PM

I just wanted to recommend getting something like a Bravado nursing bra (what I used last time) or Glamourmom bra tank (thats what I'm using this time). That way you have something on hand for the first month or so that is stretchy enough to accomadate engorgement, has no underwires and is super comfy for taking frequent naps After about 6 weeks or so you will probably not have issues with engorgement between feedings (I had that for the entire first month) so your size will be fairly stable and you will actually feel up to going bra shopping Definitely don't buy real nursing bras ahead of time. I was shocked at how huge I was the day my milk came in with my dd

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#7 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM

I am really anxious to buy more nursing bras, too. The only one I have so far is the Yes! bra (similar to a Bravado, can be purchase on ebay). It is comfy but not very supportive. I've worn it a few times as a sleep/leisure bra. I wear between a 32 and 34 D (now it's probably more like 34-36 because my ribcage has expanded). I plan on buying a couple of Glamourmom tank tops as well. But I will wait until a few weeks postpartum to buy any more bras.
#8 of 8 Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 PM

I have three super cheap nursing bras: two from Motherhood Maternity and one from Kohl's -- one fits now, one is a little big but doable, and one is a size too big. All can be adjusted up. All were on sale at the time.

The shop at the birthing center sells Medela bras and DH gets an employee discount (he works for the hospital that owns the birthing center), so I'm going to wait until I'm there to buy my "nice" nursing bra. I'd been told that I'd go up one more cup size again before the bean comes but that hasn't happened. I did go up during pg, but haven't in this last trimester.

My mother went from a 32B pre-pregnancy to the largest size they sold at the time, a 38D, when her milk came in (the bra was too small). But she went back down to something in between after a few days, so I'm hesitant to buy a bra when my milk first comes in, since it'll be too big after a few days/weeks, yes? And I might not even buy one before my milk comes in since I don't have a clue what will happen after.

I was a 32A (or AA even -- hell, I never wore bras pre-pg so who knows for sure) and am in a 36C now. I never really understood how you could buy a good fitting nursing bra while still pregnant, because how can you know for sure what your breasts are going to do?

Sorry that's no help at all, but I really have no clue how to know with certainty what size to buy ahead of time, thus the super cheap bras and I reckon I'll wait and see.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page