Teaching a Lesson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-17-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you seen this? An eBaying Mama got fed up with her family leaving crap lying around so she AUCTIONED IT OFF!

I love it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#2 of 8 Old 03-17-2006, 02:24 PM

ROTFL! Go mama!
#3 of 8 Old 03-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Funny on face value, but I wonder what has happened to get them to this point... I think this is just one of the signs of our consumer culture... kids have so much "stuff" that they don't learn to treasure it or take care of it.

But definately funny on face value for me. I have felt like doing this to my DH on more than one occasion.

#4 of 8 Old 03-17-2006, 05:00 PM

THAT is AWESOME.
#5 of 8 Old 03-18-2006, 01:44 PM

I think that is great. We've been having really trying times with our older dd especially lately. She just plain old doesn't listen and doesn't seem to care what we say. I honestly have no idea what to do. A big recurring issue here is that she (and her sister, who is only 2 and honestly I don't expect that much out of yet) will not clean up their stuff. They trash the house every day, which I just hate, and I'm not up to crawling around on the floor, bending up & down, etc. to get it clean. So last night, after seeing this post, I decide I'll threaten dd1 with the idea that if she won't clean up the mess then everything that's left out will get put in garbage bags and given to other kids. She literally said (and not in a back-talk way, just in an accepting way), "Okay, where are the garbage bags?" Ugh! I just can't win! Sadly for me I was bluffing - thinking it would work. She finally cleaned up after I told her that no one could come over if the house was messy when they called (my mom calls frequently after work to see if she can stop by for a visit). That was the only thing that seemed to get her attention! Sorry - I totally turned this into my rant. I just am at the end of my rope with these kids lately!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#6 of 8 Old 03-18-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_homebirthing
I think that is great. We've been having really trying times with our older dd especially lately. She just plain old doesn't listen and doesn't seem to care what we say. I honestly have no idea what to do. A big recurring issue here is that she (and her sister, who is only 2 and honestly I don't expect that much out of yet) will not clean up their stuff. They trash the house every day, which I just hate, and I'm not up to crawling around on the floor, bending up & down, etc. to get it clean. So last night, after seeing this post, I decide I'll threaten dd1 with the idea that if she won't clean up the mess then everything that's left out will get put in garbage bags and given to other kids. She literally said (and not in a back-talk way, just in an accepting way), "Okay, where are the garbage bags?" Ugh! I just can't win! Sadly for me I was bluffing - thinking it would work. She finally cleaned up after I told her that no one could come over if the house was messy when they called (my mom calls frequently after work to see if she can stop by for a visit). That was the only thing that seemed to get her attention! Sorry - I totally turned this into my rant. I just am at the end of my rope with these kids lately!
Amen, Sister!

Although next time I think you really should fill the garbage bags and drop the stuff off at Goodwill or somewhere like that.
I've done it many times.
#7 of 8 Old 03-18-2006, 02:02 PM

Popping in to peek from the May board and had to note - this is great! My folks did something like this a few times over the course of my childhood. Dad always called it "Instant Zen"!
#8 of 8 Old 03-18-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs
Amen, Sister!

Although next time I think you really should fill the garbage bags and drop the stuff off at Goodwill or somewhere like that.
I've done it many times.
Well, I would be more likely to do it except that over xmas time I got rid of tons and tons of their stuff (your average plastic/electronic toys) to make room for brand new Waldorf style toys (read: expensive and nice). So I'm not real ready to get rid of all this new stuff that I personally love! Bummer for me! But these kids DO have waaaaaaay too much!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page