I am a bad, bad person - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, maybe this is just confirmation that someone needs to come out, but I got mad at a stranger's kids today.

We went mini golfing and since I got a hole in one we got a scratch off card and won 40 free game tokens. My kids won a whole bunch of those annoying little tickets that you redeem for cheap, crappy toys. Of course, you have to stand in line to put said tickets into a ticket counter before you can redeem them. The line was sooooo long and Abby was on my back in a mei tai. Which is quite comfy, but after 2 hrs was getting old. We waited in line for half an hour to get our tickets counted (the guy at the front of the line had 3K tickets - no I'm not kidding!).

Anyway. We finally get to the front and I have to kneel down (you know that's easy in my condition) in order to feed the tickets correctly. Nate is "helping" me, which is actually impeding me because he keeps stepping on the strings of tickets and breaking them. Which is fine, we only had about 200 tickets, so it wasn't a huge deal.

Except for the running commentary from the two little girls behind us. They were about 7 or 8 and were there with this big day care. They kept making snotty little comments the whole time. "Are you almost done, lady?" "Ummm, can you hurry up? We have to pee." "Oh my God, you are so slow."

Finally, I turned around and said, "Look. I am going as fast as I can. And don't tell me about having to pee, as neither of you have babies in your tummies. But if you two do not shut your mouths and stop being rude I will tear these tickets apart and go as slow as I possibly can."

They just stared at me.

See! I am a bad person! Ack!

Our grand total from the tickets: 9 four packs of Now 'N Laters.

Good grief.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#2 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 02:35 AM

I hope you are laughing about it now, cause that story has me rolling. Great come back mama, and I don't think you are a bad person at all.
#3 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 AM

You are not a bad person. Those two probably hadn't had anyone actually react to thier comments before so maybe that taught them a lesson of manners. That is so rude what they said to you.

You are not a bad person, those were rude children and your very pregnant, you did the right thing.

Cathy toddler.gifMama to James(6)coolshine.gifand Maggie Mae (1)luxlove.gif Wife to Daveguitar.gif

And 3rdtri.gif with #3 bigeyes.gif Due in August 2013!!!

#4 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 02:38 AM

Sounds like you had a rough day. Sorry. Those kids were being awful rude though - where were their parents?

While I can't say your comment to the girls was altogether wonderful (which obviously you're not happy about doing it), I know exactly how the loss of patience is these days, and probably would have uttered something equally frustrated at them myself. It seems that I have no patience and words fly out of my mouth faster than I can control lately - which is not like me at all. So I'm farmiliar with your guilt.

You're not a bad person. *hugs* We all have our off days and pregnancy hormones, young children, and other peoples' rude children know sure how to set a day into 'off' mode.
#5 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 04:57 AM

Um, I think you did those kids a favor and a service by giving them a touch of the dicipline they might not be getting at home. Teaching kids they should not talk like that- especially to adults- is a valuable lesson. Bravo to you!
#6 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Way to go Mama -- that's the kind of lesson that those kids will remember! How embarrassing for them to be yelled at by a stranger -- and I'll bet they'll remember that and keep their comments to themselves next time. Good job!You know, it takes a village...

I am a teacher (but only for 3 more weeks -- yay!) and I often have to stifle that urge to yell at other people's children quite often when out in public.

Mary
#7 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 11:02 AM

I would of done the same thing!
Good for you!
#8 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 11:28 AM

WTG! I don't think you did anything wrong....I almost had a similar experience at Chuck E Cheese with the CHANGE Machine, lucky for me the little boy's parents saw his behavior and made him get out of line.
#9 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 12:04 PM

GOOD FOR YOU!

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#10 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 12:54 PM

I think that's awesome! I've found that I'm soooo irritated by other peoples kids lately. Well, not like just lately, but maybe in this past year or so. People let their kids act like wild children and if they're not being just plain rude (as in your case) they're endangering MY kids with how they play. So while I feel like I shouldn't parent someone else's kids, I figure at this point they leave me w/no choice. I'm not gonna let some kid be mean to mine or hurt them, etc. So good for you for speaking up! I hope those kids remember that in the future!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
#11 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't actually yell, just spoke very slowly and firmly.

I would hope if my kids were acting like poops and I wasn't around someone would take the time to get them back in line.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#12 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 02:47 PM

I've done it before and I don't even have kids (yet).

Kids acting like brats are kids acting like brats, period. And if the parents aren't around to fuss at them, the closest adult should.

That's just me. I'm glad you said something to them; it was entirely appropriate for you to.

I hate it when kids act like little brats. (But what's far worse is when they do it in the presence of the parents and their parents do NOTHING. Then all you can do is glare....)

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#13 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 04:21 PM

sorry for being selfish here... but all I could think about after reading your post was...."mmmMMMMMmmmm Now n laters" Got any left?

Sorry, sometimes people are rude...children OR adults. Hope you had a good time anyway. HUGS!
#14 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Mandy - chicken3.gif  candle.gif candle.gif novaxnocirc.gif  hbac.gif  h20homebirth.gif  h20homebirth.gif  goorganic.jpg  homeschool.gif

#15 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 06:28 PM

I have to agree with everybody here - no need to feel bad, you did the right thing! You very rightly pointed out that they would do well to consider someone else's situation instead of just standing there making snide comments. A lesson in compassion AND politeness AND a snappy comeback to boot.

And fwiw, pfamilygal, I also hope that someone would say something to my own children if they ever were so rude - which I hope, hope, hope they won't be, but I suppose all kids have their moments.

Melissa
mom to 3 lovely kids
#16 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 PM

I actually pray that when my children do something wrong they will get caught and fall hard~in hopes that they will learn their lesson well the first time and not repeat such behavior! If I found out you had said this to my children, I would've THANKED you! Sometimes I need all the help I can get! LOL! (((((HUGS))))) sanid
#17 of 19 Old 03-18-2006, 09:06 PM

As someone who works in an elementary school, I give you SERIOUS PROPS for putting those rude kids in check. I have to admit, I was a bit of a loudmouth as a kid, but I would NEVER talk to a strange adult like that. HOW RUDE.

Seriously, GOOD FOR YOU!!!

XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#18 of 19 Old 03-19-2006, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

My mom prayed the same thing, Titus2! That when we did something wrong we would get caught, or that we would feel guilty and confess. And I NEVER got away with anything. Ever.

#19 of 19 Old 03-20-2006, 11:11 AM

Good for you! No need to apologize- I can't believe they were being so brazen!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page