Baby clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-25-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had a shower and am looking through the clothes we got. Wondering, will a 0-3 size really fit a newborn? (they look a little big - similar to the 6 month stuff) Do you guys who have kids recommend any newborn sized clothes?
Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 12:06 PM

I have never bought anything smaller than 0-3months. Of course, it will look a little big on a newborn, but they put on weight so fast that they outgrow it so quickly. My ds#2 weighed 9lbs 4oz at birth and outgrew 0-3 months clothes in 2 weeks!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM

My boys didn't fit into much newborn stuff, they were too big. The midwife laughed and asked, "do you have anything bigger?" It may look big now, but if you have a baby over 8 pounds or 20 inches long, you'll be lucky to get a month's wear out of them. (Mine were 8lb.4oz. 21.5" & 9lb.5oz. 22")
I have a few friends who had tiny 5-6 pound 18-19 inch babies who wore they newborn stuff for 9 months...but I don't think that's the norm.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 03-25-2006, 12:28 PM

Butting in from DIM

It all depends on how big babies run in your family. For me, it's uncommon to have a baby over 7lbs, so I did need preemie & newborn clothing, my DD was 6lbs12oz and SWAM in 0-3 month clothing until she was almost two months old.

With this baby, we bought alot of gowns, and he'll probably be living in those for the first few months, so we just bought two newborn sized outfits, one for coming home from the birth center & newborn pics, and one for Easter.

If bigger babies run in your family, you'll probably be just fine with 0-3 month clothing.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:01 PM

My ds was 7-4, 21" at birth, and the 0-3 stuff swallowed him at first, but he bulked up really quickly. The couple of newborn outfits we had lasted *maybe* 2 weeks.
I second the recommendation for gowns. We gowns with DS and have a good stash going for this guy. They're easy to put on, easy to diaper around, and you can either pull them down to keep baby warm, or pull them up to let them kick.

You might want a cute newborn outfit or 2 if you have someplace you have to go when the baby is tiny...like a christening, bris, naming, whatever, but I'd stick to 0-3 outfits and gowns, IMO.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:27 PM

I had this same question. I had trouble finding clothes that were "newborn" size. Since we went in earlier than expected I didn't have any. Only 0-3 and since he was only 5lbs 15oz he was swimming in the 0-3 clothes!!! My mother-in-law had to run out and get him some premie outfits!!! So, it probably all depends on how big or small the baby is. I would get at least one newborn outfit (try to find one with arms and legs, not just a onsie...) Those are my thoughts!
Old 03-25-2006, 02:40 PM

I had all 3+ month clothes and when my DD was born even the 0-3 month was too big. We had a heck of time scouring the mall for preemie stuff. I would recommend have preemie/newborn on hand and just leaving the tags on in case you need it. And if you don't, then you can exchange it for the larger stuff. Huge babies run in mine and DH's families so we were completely suprised with how tiny DD was, its good to just have some small stuff in case, YK?

Old 03-25-2006, 03:02 PM

/hijack

When I first got pregnant my mom and I went to this department store and were looking at baby clothes and I was just all sparkly-eyed at the cute little things.

I wandered around oohing and ahhing and finally called Mom over to where I was to look at this one little jacket -- it was tiny! And the cutest thing ever!

She burst out laughing!

I was like, "Wha...?!?"

She pointed to the little faux nursery behind me.

Apparently I'd wandered into the adopt-a-doll area and was looking at babydoll clothing.

(Hehe, my only defense was, "Well the baby might be petite!" Anyway....)

/hijack off

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten
/hijack

When I first got pregnant my mom and I went to this department store and were looking at baby clothes and I was just all sparkly-eyed at the cute little things.

I wandered around oohing and ahhing and finally called Mom over to where I was to look at this one little jacket -- it was tiny! And the cutest thing ever!

She burst out laughing!

I was like, "Wha...?!?"

She pointed to the little faux nursery behind me.

Apparently I'd wandered into the adopt-a-doll area and was looking at babydoll clothing.

(Hehe, my only defense was, "Well the baby might be petite!" Anyway....)

/hijack off

I second the suggestion for gowns. That's what my newborns have lived in. Makes diaper changes a breeze. And lots of those gowns will still be huge since they tend to size them for 0-6 months! But they work.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:33 PM

I realized I don't really have that much 0-3 stuff, I think I gave a lot away to a mom who needed it. So I picked up 4 gowns. I have *one* 0-3 month sleeper for the ride back from the MW's house (car-seat issue), but I think that other than that we'll do 3-6 month stuff and onesies with those little pants. We use cloth diapers as well, and I remember having issues with the crotch being too snug even if the legs or arms fit right. So for that reason, I don't mind things running big at all.

Oh, my dd was big- 21.25 inches, 9 lbs 5 oz, and I think this one will be the same. We got maybe 1.5 months use out of our 0-3 month stuff.

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

Old 03-25-2006, 05:27 PM

I have a few newborn outfits, but I tend to have peanuts. I have a lot of gowns this time too. Theya re so nice with the cds, but dont work well in the car seat.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are so helpful.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 PM

I had a small babe too...7 lbs and 19 1/2 inches and she didn't gain super quickly. She wore preemie clothes for a month, the 0-3 until about 4 months. She was usually about a month behind on sizes. 0-3 was enormous on her at the beginning. I also loved the gowns. I actually have some of the ones my sister and I wore when we were babies. They don't have the elastic at the bottom like they do now. My girl liked the old ones better because she'd always get mad if she couldn't freely kick her legs around, and they are so soft

User Tag List